Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

NFL Network expert projects 5 Georgia players in Top 40 of 2023 NFL Draft

SystemSystem Posts: 10,706 admin
edited February 2023 in Article commenting
imageNFL Network expert projects 5 Georgia players in Top 40 of 2023 NFL Draft

MOBILE, Ala. — Georgia won’t match last year’s record-breaking NFL Draft with five first-round picks or 15 players selected.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

If the other information on KMac is true in elevating his stock at the Senior Bowl, its possible we may have 6 in the top 40!

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@GardenDawg Kenny and Chris need to run good times at the NFL Combine to get in that Top 50

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@GardenDawg @MikeGriffith Agree Mike the Combine is significantly more important than the Sr. Bowl as the metrics and standards they use there are specifically designed to measure a player’s strengths and detect weaknesses. Where as at the Sr. Bowl you might have a lucky good bounce or an unfortunate bad bounce type situation happen. And with only one weeks practice with players and coaches you’ve never been with before it’s hard to get that much realistic data. Though the seasoned eyes of the Pros do a pretty good job for that sampling. I think player’s Effort is one of the primary things they get a feel for at the Sr. Bowl. Where as at the Combine they get a much more realistic view of strength, speed, agility, ability to adjust, etc. etc. I’m really pulling for Chris and Kenny !! If they break into those top rounds that would be 7 Dawgs !! Which would be Great !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options

Senior Bowl is more for coaches to get a feel for the players, in terms of their football IQ, their coach-ability, leadership and intangibles.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

Lol...that's what Kirby Smart is for. Those guys talk to former coaches and players to get that "feel". The Senior Bowl and Shrine Bowl are just Glorified Confirmation and PR missions. Those events, don't really confirm anything, but, there sure is a lot of hype around it.

Lol...which I'm sure, suits you just fine. Afterall...the story practically writes itself. Did you enjoy your vacation? Lol...just kidding. I know it's work.

Most of those players are there, to "make an impression". Put their "best-foot-forward" and such. Scouts know, if you want real information on a player, you talk to the people that best know him.

It's not what you do when people are watching...it's what you do when they aren't, that's most relevant to professionals. They collect ALL relevant information...then view it in it's entirety to get a "feel" for a player's possible impact (positive & negative) over the course of 4 yrs.

Doing a risk vs reward evaluation, they determine which players they should draft. The old "draft the best player available" mantra, that most teams used to adhere to, is no longer SOP.

Kirby was Instrumental in dispelling the rumors of Dean's injury status, by speaking directly to Scouts, GM's and Owners of the teams originally interested in drafting him. He may have to do the same thing for McIntosh (injury rumors), Bennett (speculation of off field issues) and Carter (McShay's accusation of attitude problems), before the draft...or, they may need to talk to him.

I'm sure there has already been some dialog between Smart and NFL Scouts regarding ALL of the former Dawgs entering the draft.

It'll be interesting to see how this year's crop turns out. 2 of last year's former Dawgs will be putting it on display, in front of the World, next Sunday...And, I'm looking forward to watching them dominate KC.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My guess is 3 in the top 40 and 6 in the top 100. Not bad. Interesting that BAMA and Ohio St. figure to have more in the first 2 -3 rounds than us. BAMA didn't make the playoffs and we beat Ohio St. Speaks volumes about our underclassmen.

• Options

@BigDawg61 I am not sure all the players would be real comfortable with what Kirby or other assistants have to say about them -- sometimes personalities just clash -- and if a team likes a kid enough, they will get past what the coach (s) have to say about them.

Like buying a car -- do you just look at the Car Fax and decide? At some point, every used car was sold by someone that didn't want it.

In this case, the Senior Bowl offers an in-person interview. The NFL invites you in, -- only the elite typically decline unless there is an injury.

But, to each their own!

But the idea that NFL coaches rely exclusively on what college coaches say is not sound.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"But the idea that NFL coaches rely exclusively on what college coaches say is not sound."__

I didn't say that, Mike. In fact, it's not something, I ever would say.

Maybe I wasn't clear...and, that's my fault. I didn't mean to suggest Coaches were "an end-all be-all" to evaluating a player.

So let me clean it up. You and I seem to agree. I was saying that the NFL speaks with former coaches and aquaintances...in addition to numerous other methods of finding out what makes you tick. Interviews, background checks, Social media, film, production, tests to determine ceiling, etc....are the various methods used.

Not attending an event, such as, the Senior Bowl is not as critical as the people writing and talking about it, want to make it seem.

There are a number of reasons Bennett may have, "not attended" the Senior Bowl...including injury...mental or physical. You and I may never know precisely why Bennett didn't go.

For instance, did he date Tory, at any time, during his 6 year dance with UGA?

But, if you want to speculate, Why don't you just say he's in Texas assisting with blind kids or cleaning up a highway or something more positive than "he's being arrogant or pigheaded or questionable"? In fact, if you want to know why he wasn't in Birmingham, that bad...just ask some of the people I just mentioned. His family, friends, coaches, etc..