Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Mike White unfamiliar with losing basketball culture, pieced-together Bulldogs’ lacking identity

SystemSystem Posts: 10,706 admin
edited February 2023 in Article commenting
imageMike White unfamiliar with losing basketball culture, pieced-together Bulldogs’ lacking identity

ATHENS — No, Georgia basketball coach Mike White said, he doesn’t have experience with this sort of thing.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Just let it strengthen your resolve coach. Finish strong, get a couple better players, make a giant stride next year!

• Options
    GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

The dream of the man basketball team making one of the two tournaments is all it was a Dream. I hope the B-ball coach can get the players he needs to win.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Coach White definitely lacks team talent and cohesiveness. One thing, no "big boys" in the 7 ft stratosphere. Young players know UGA and know they are not an elite BB program. Hard to recruit "top" talent. I just hope he can hit 50% end of season. Maybe next year he can build this elusive identity he speaks to and, finally, get on a winning track.

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The lack of rebounding is killing us on both ends of the floor.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He better get used to it because it’s a regular occurrence with this basketball program, unfortunately. I’m pulling for him, but not getting my hopes up.

• Options
    Billy2131Billy2131 Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

UGA basketball is and will always be pain and misery mixed with dead space. There is vey little if any hope for this dreadful UGA BB program to be relevant in today's college BB dynamics.

You have more talent in metro Atlanta than you do in 80% of every major metro area across this country. Yet, the UGA BB program recruits almost zero players year in and year out of the ATL minus Ant Man (one and done) and a few players scattered throughout the decades of constant losing seasons...

In this moment in time this programs should be a rec league team that plays at your local YMCA or in some lousy church gym on early Monday mornings... with no mention of UGA or even any red and black colors allowed.

UGA BB is a wasteland of empty promises and broken dreams... nothing more!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

@MikeGriffith how do you know Kirby was "working" when he looked at his phone? He could be checking his Uber Eats order. Or the stock market. Or a random text. I'm being somewhat facetious, of course. He probably was working, but my larger point is that journalists shouldn't assume anything. Go Dawgs!

And yes, I know the focus of the story is about the basketball team. But honestly, what can one say about them that has not already been said a million times? With that program it's just wash, rinse, repeat.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

Agree. That's UGA Basketball's biggest FAIL. Their rebounding, ball-handling and defense, is atrocious. Not to mention the fact, they miss as many layups as they make. Lol

That's been UGA basketball over the last couple of decades, with a couple of exceptions...no matter who the Coach was. In fact, the last time I remember em making the NCAA Tournament, they pulled out, cause they were caught cheating.

I don't understand it. Why can't they coach em up. UGA hasn't improved one iota over the last 2 months...they've gotten worse. They're "hard-to-watch". I can't stand to see a player miss a wide open Layup...and, I've seen it several times.

Now...when I see a couple of missed layups or a lazy pass that gets intercepted or blown inside coverage or 4-5 straight "missed free-throws"...I get disgusted with em and turn the game off.

I've never been more frustrated with UGA basketball,, than I have been this year. And, that's saying something. They could...and should be, so much better.

You have to be able to do the basic things well in any sport, in order to be competitive.

With the last coach, they were adequate in the basics category, but couldn't shoot the ball worth a flip, especially, the 3-pointer. Now they can shoot a little bit from the arch, but, can't make a layup or handle the ball or rebound.

To me...that's a coaching FAIL and lack of leadership within the team. One of these players has to take pride and pick up the leadership mantle or it won't get better. Once again, they be watching March Madness from home.

No "sense-of-urgency" with the basketball team. SMH...that has to change.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DallasDawg Kirby was "working" just by being there -- it was a show of support. Football coaches don't use their free time to go watch basketball games, much less meaningless ones like that one that was being played in front of him

UGA had a board meeting earlier that day and the President and AD were also there .

• Options

Maybe Kirby should take over the Basketball Program. Lol.

Give Kirby Smart the Athletic Director's hat...or make him Co-AD, or Asst. AD. Dooley, and other HC's used to wear both the HC & AD hat, at the same time.

I know that the football HC position has evolved over the years and it would be challenging for any HC to wear "both" hats. That's why I suggested Co-AD or Assistant AD.

I think Kirby could whip that program (or ANY Program) into shape, regardless of the talent level. When you start playing competitive ball...the athletes will follow.

The Dawgs have enough talent to Win...right now. But, they are sloppy, unfocused and without leadership at the "player level". IMO

• Options

If Kirby takes over basketball he needs to bring his football money with him

It's all about what you are willing to pay to get players -- to have any shot.

• Options
    edited February 2023

I assumed that was already happening. I thought, all of UGA's Sports Programs, drank out of the same "money bucket".

Are you saying, that the Basketball and Baseball Programs aren't getting the financial support they need to succeed (NIL or otherwise)?

Why? Or, moreover...why not?

• Options

@BigDawg61 That's absolutely what I'm saying. Football is king and the money train is there -- UGA is not paying the same for basketball players as other elite hoops programs -- not even close -- and baseball has the worst of all worlds with below average (SEC) facilities and the school's decision not to waive out-of-state tuition for players outside of Georgia (like league rival Tennessee does).

Why won't UGA waive out of state tuition?

I do not know, one of those "that's not the way we've always done it" things I guess.

It seems like a small concession to make considering the facilities being on hold for Covid, and now another year delay because of construction costs and inflation.

Football, however, is whatever, whenever and however.

Theoretically, there should be some trickle down economics at work at some point.

• Options

"Theoretically, there should be some trickle down economics at work at some point."

Exactly. That's what I thought was happening, going back to Dooley and Richt. I remember a discussion about it. A couple of decades back.

Dude...you need to do an in-depth story about this. Blow it up. Now, is the time. UGA Football is riding high and can take it...IMO. Their facility upgrade is virtually complete.