Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia quarterbacks Jake Fromm and D.J. Shockley share thoughts on Stetson Bennett

SystemSystem Posts: 10,484 admin
edited February 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia quarterbacks Jake Fromm and D.J. Shockley share thoughts on Stetson Bennett

ATHENS -- Jake Fromm and D.J. Shockley understand Stetson Bennett in a way few others can, and they are obviously pulling for their fellow Georgia quarterback alum.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Again?? Unbelievable! MEDIA the target.

• Options
    78Dawg78Dawg Posts: 167 ✭✭✭ Junior

The only bored guy still writing about Stetson.

• Options
    pappadawg23pappadawg23 Posts: 12 ✭✭ Sophomore

No disrespect to Fromm and Shockley. They are not on Stet's level. He will figure it out.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The NFL teams evaluate everything? I figured all they did was ask the “experts” like Paul Finebaum and Mel Kiper!

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    EastmandawgEastmandawg Posts: 145 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 2023

Just a matter of time, the fellow is on a mission and just won’t let it go….and I blame his employer for allowing it.

Wish they would send him on his way back to Michigan. Feel like I am sometimes reading the National Enquirer in some of his articles, tabloid journalism.

He doesn’t deserve the right to talk or write about the Dawgs imo.

But to your point, when I think of Stetson, I think of 2 national championships, 2 SEC championships, 29 & 3 and 41 years.

A DGD in my book!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m not sure why this article was necessary. It’s almost like someone 🤔 was looking for an opportunity to get one last dig on Bennett. Go Dawgs and thanks for the memories Mailman!!!

• Options
    WildmanSlayerWildmanSlayer Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior

All I will remember is in 2021 Stetson Bennett took over for JT Daniels after he was hurt, and went on to win every regular season game, but lost to Bama in the SEC Championship game, and then had to hear the Stetson haters call for JT Daniels to replace him, but went on to win the National Championship, then he had to listen to all the Stetson haters complain about him coming back for another year, because they wanted another QB, and what did he do, well he went on to win every regular season game, the SEC Championship game, and both playoff games to capture another National Championship in 2022, some people seem to revel in Stetson Bennett's off field screw ups, well I did my share of screw up's when I was Stetsons age, but didn't have to hear about it in the new paper, or Internet, so if those NFL Scouts are smart they will talk with Stetson, watch his film, and what he does at the Combine, and not one mishap, It's not like the NFL is made up of people of high character Mr. Griffith, all I know is Stetson Bennett is a win when it comes to college football, 16-1 as a starter, and back-to-back National Championships. GO DAWGS

• Options
    1946Dawgshappened1946Dawgshappened Posts: 66 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 2023

When I saw that Connor Riley had written the last Stetson article before today I was relieved. I also saw that MG had been covering UGA basketball. My hope was that they reassigned MG away from football and, more specifically, to avoid SBIV articles. However, today, my hopes were dashed. I don't know what is wrong with this guy. Maybe MG still can't accept he was wrong about JT Daniels. He must find fault in everything Stetson does. I guess to MG this is the price Stet must pay for making him look bad.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Been saying that, "one last dig" for a while now. My guess is there will be another. Jesse and Furman be rolling in their graves.

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 2023

I appreciate the QBs that Georgia has had through the years and certainly am proud of the representation that Fromm and Shockley have given the dawgs. I am sure that given the chance, Stetson will do so as well. It is great to be a Georgia Bulldog fan.

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

What a brilliant response to a somewhat inflammatory (and possibly unnecessary, IMHO) article: FACTS! I had never seen a table like this, and the facts clearly speak for themselves.

While I haven't been super-psyched about how SBIV has handled his public image post National Championship #2, I can't say I'm surprised at how he's decompressed following three years of unrelenting pressure and non-stop media attention. The fact is, during the tougher periods, the majority of negative opining has come from close-to-home (esp. DN, and MG in particular), which has to sting to any person, much less someone so young and prominent in his community.

I was speaking with my 89 year old Vietnam vet father, and he said that (in a small way) it reminded him of a civilian/sports version of PTSD he'd seen others experience in the military. Once you're out of the pressure and have succeeded/survived, all of the bottled-up emotions show up in ways that aren't always easy to foresee, or for others (who haven't "been there") to understand. I think there's some merit to this kind of thinking...

All, I know is that I both thank and support Stetson for what he's done and what he achieves in his next chapter, whatever that ends up being. If it's playing football again, I expect his path-forward to be (from an attitude perspective) to be more Baker Mayfield than Johnny Manziel... underneath it all, he seams like a good team-mate, and I'm sure there's strong advisors around him to help in the transition 😁

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There is one world class sports journalist, author, humorist, and DGD that would have applauded SBIV and probably been arrested with him in Dallas raising hell........I knew Lewis Grizzard and I am sure he has been tickled Red & Black in Heaven these past two years! We are both expecting great things to come in the NFL for our FAVORITE DGD. "The game of life is like football. You have to tackle your problems, block your fears, and score your points when you get the opportunity." LMG

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lol...I agree. But, we're wasting our breath. With friends and mentors like Fromm and Shockley...who the hell needs enemies.

Contrary to the popular but misguided narrative, Bennett has always carried confidence in himself and does not see himself as an underdog.__MG

I wasn't even aware that was "a narrative". I guess all the other BS narratives that have been generated over the last few years, masked that one.

If Bennett had been QB when UGA lost to SC in 2019...he would have been lynched. Instead...Fromm was spared the massive and unwarranted criticism that an "injured Bennett" received when UGA lost to UF in 2020. The "team" and "Hot-Rod" took all the heat for that Carolina loss.

Same with the 2017 loss to BAMA in the 4th qtr...which, when given a chance...Bennett WON...against BAMA and OSU. Fromm pulled 1...one game...out, in the 4th qtr, against Oklahoma. He lost 2. Both to BAMA...in the 4th qtr.

Fromm is seriously having a hard time dealing with the fact, Bennett is "flat out", a better QB than he is. And, everybody has been second guessing Smart's decision to play HIM over Fields. Sour grapes. Lol

And, where the hell was Shockley when it came to mentoring Bennett? Did he not talk to Bennett at all, before he handed the microphone over? How well did Shockley REALLY know Bennett? Did he not, give Bennett ANY advice on how to handle the media?

This whole article stinks, IMO. Why not talk to some people that actually KNOW HIM? The media...SMH. Fake news won't go away, till we stop reading and watching it. Lol...I still haven't figured out why his age is important to EVERY article.

I've been a Dawg and Football fan for over 50 yrs....and, I've NEVER seen a QB this maligned by his own Fanbase and media...over NOTHING. Not even Joe Cox. Get a freaking grip, Dawg Nation. Interview some people that actually, know Bennett, before writing the article...not after.

When Bennett is ready, he will answer all of these "accusations". In his own way. Lol...and, some people may not be happy about that.

• Options
    GMom6GMom6 Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

There is a Bible verse in the book of John chapter 8 verse 7 that speaks about how to treat others. I am a Georgia bulldog fan namely Jake Fromm and of course Stetson Bennett. I just want to congratulate this young man for his many accomplishments throughout his college career. The dedication and time that he and his teammates put forth to become National Champions 2 yrs. in a row is outstanding! I wish you much success in the future Stetson! Keep going forward! GO DAWGS ❤️

• Options
    DawgOnTheBeachDawgOnTheBeach Posts: 59 ✭✭✭ Junior

I may be wrong but this piece of trash appears to be the same article the uber UNTALENTED, much traveled (can’t hold a job??) MG posted a week or so ago but with a new opening paragraph. I know for sure he has used the same comments from DJ, Jake and Finebaum before. How did we ever get such a poor reported covering the Dawgs? Note I said reporter and not journalist because all MG does is try to string a bunch of quotes together to support his biased opinion. So sad that Dawg Nation lost Seth Emerson who is a true journalist. I am happy to pay for The Athletic in order to have unbiased, in-depth journalism. Mike Griffith is a joke and I think the best course of action, for me, is to stop reading his articles therefore denying him the clicks which is part of how he is evaluated.