Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

/error/404

SystemSystem Posts: 10,483 admin
edited February 2023 in Article commenting
image/error/404

It looks like nothing was found at this location. Maybe try a search?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 2023

"Bennett, as a two-time MVP of the CFP Championship Game and Heisman Trophy finalist, could be in demand as much as any player there because of his unique story. There has never been a player in college football like Bennett before, and the odds are against any future college football walk-on matching his accomplishments ever again." - Mike Griffith

Just wanted to highlight this very positive comment that MG had to say about Stetson in his article above. You, know, cause MG never has anything positive to say about Bennett (that's not me saying that, just some of the trolls on this site that are hurt everytime MG speaks truth about SB).

As I have said over and over, when there is positive to say, MG says it, when there is negative to say, MG reports it. That's what being an unbiased NEWS reporter is all about!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

For once you are correct that MG said some kind words about Bennett in this article. Where you are obnoxiously wrong is where you think he has routinely written kind things about The Mailman. In fact, before your comments I had planned to commend MG which I’m doing now. It’s interesting how you have been totally blind to the facts regarding the coverage of Bennett over the past 2-3 years and you constantly defend MG for his savage attacks. You would think a guy named “Truthteller” would be able to recognize and handle the truth. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m curious what Bennett must be thinking to be called a “dumb ass” by a guy who nearly spent the rest of his life in prison for an $80,000,000 Ponzi scheme 🤔. I know the federal jury found Donnan innocent, but I think that case proved that he too is a dumb ass based on the folks he hung around with. It’s ironic that he’s blasting a 25 year old for getting drunk. Just a point that I would dare MG to mention whenever he uses Donnan as a reference. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    jrmdvm1jrmdvm1 Posts: 131 ✭✭✭ Junior

To the two gentlemen who commented before, I think both of you are a little bit correct. My own opinion is that maybe MG was basing his "read" of fans feelings about SB a little too much on Twitter. Too many of today's "journalists" seem to think that Twitter is representative of the general population when it is not. I must admit that even as a fan who supported SB, when he had one of those "moments" where he wasn't playing well, it was tempting to think that the coaching staff made the wrong choice at QB. Thankfully, SB showed time and time again that thinking was wrong. I was one who wished for more playing time for his backups, worrying about him getting hurt.

• Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 415 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Stetson is 5'11" and weighs 190. Bryce Young is 6'0" and weighs 194. Young will be the first QB drafted. Stet will be lucky to go in the 5th round. They are both about equal in the fast department. Bennett was ranked 6th in yards and 4th in QBR for 2022. Young was 21st in yards and 6th in QBR. Guess the 4lb and 1 inch advantage Young has over Bennett makes all the difference.

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I believe the issue is with his arm. Hopefully he is spending these few weeks working on a fast ball and a deep ball. I hope he beats Young in most of the drills and puts the talking heads in a position of eating some southern fried crow.

• Options
    DawgOnTheBeachDawgOnTheBeach Posts: 59 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yep, MG started wit a positive but note it was mostly related to Urban’s comments the he played the DUI card for the umpteenth time. Second article in a row where tat was the main point. I guess he has a quota of articles to produce and is unable to find something new to write about (note, I did not use the lazy word). MG has never given Stetson credit without adding a qualifier. I recall a recent article in which he noted that Stetson was successful due to being surrounded by studs, or words to that effect. Guess Bryce, CJ and Caleb did it all by themselves!!!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Bill Walsh was criticized for selecting Joe Montana with 82nd pick in the 1979 draft.

Montana was selected at the very bottom of the third round, but some thought he was taken far too soon. Worthy of a fifth-rounder, tops."

MItch Trubiski was selected above Patrick Mahomes. Whowas the genuis who did that? Not an exact science. And then there was Brady, a 6th round pick!!!

I've watched about as much football as you can in 65 years, and SB is much better than many that are starting in the NFL right now. Put him in the right system and he would flourish, just like Jalen Hurts has.

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 2023

Thanks for pointing this out. I actually had not followed the Senior Bowl aftermath, but your prompt caused me to do a quick search. Here's the first article (about the post-game) that came up: Max Duggan's NFL Potential Questioned by Fans After Being Outshined at Senior Bowl | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

It is, without a doubt, a complex path to navigate to be a successful candidate in the draft. That said, I expect SBIV (and Duggan, for that matter) has great advisors to guide him, and I wish both QBs luck in getting there... and beyond!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just to set your very selective "stats" comment into perspective. Yes SBIV did throw for 849 more yards .......in 3 more games in '22/'23. "Much better completion %" was 3.6% after BY missed multiple games (and played in multiple games) with a shoulder injury (sprained AC joint - throwing shoulder). BY's QB rating was actually 2.4 pts higher than SBIV's this season while playing multiple games after the injury.

So yes SBIV threw for 849 more yards this year. And BY threw for 2010 yards more in '21/'22. Both stats mean nothing going forward.

Not sure what your obsession is with BY but trying to use an isolated stat shows you are either a complete homer or not very knowledgeable.

Not saying either player is good or bad or better. Just that using one stat does not make your "point" and makes you look like a homer.

There is not a single UGA fan that didn't root for SBIV to play well and do his best in every game on every throw. Including MG. For to root against SBIV would be rooting against UGA. Did YOU want to wait another 41 years to win a championship? Did YOU want to keep hearing "1980"? I sure didn't. In fact I said, to everyone in the room. if SBIV pulls out a win vs OSU he'll never buy another drink in any bar I am ever in w/him in GA.

Let it play out (combine, draft, 2-3 NFL seasons) and see what happens. SBIV improved year over year. Maybe there is another step he can take in consistency. It won't be settled here and it doesn't change what has happened.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

Maybe Duggan didn't play well because he isn't as good as people thought? Did he have a bad game or a bad week? Did he show enough during the week to rise or not play well in the game and drop?

His draft stock probably rose, regardless of his game play, because he was there in front of the scouts and talked to the GM's all week. Duggan took the challenge and had confidence in his game to WANT to be out in front of NFL people all week. Needless to say, the NFL decision makers know more about Duggan now (good or bad) from the additional interaction.

Clearly SBIV thought his best move was to work on his own game and train specifically for the combine drills in private in preparation for the combine and UGA's pro day.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

SBIV and Manziel, I've met them both and I'd say Johnny Football is a bit heavier by a few pounds but otherwise the same statue. Skill-wise, two Natties beats a Heisman in my book. The reason SBIV will be successful in the NFL is focus and determination.