Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Todd Monken to the NFL: What impact does that have on Georgia football recruiting?

SystemSystem Posts: 10,700 admin
edited February 2023 in Article commenting
imageTodd Monken to the NFL: What impact does that have on Georgia football recruiting?

Want to attack every day with the latest Georgia football recruiting info? That’s the Intel. This rep chronicles the reaction from some key 2023 and 2024 recruiting targets after the decision made by offensive coordinator Todd Monken to return to the NFL.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DoggoneDoggone Posts: 103 ✭✭✭ Junior

As one player said, "Next man up." Bobo has proven that he is quite capable, especially as an OC. No reason to think that that has changed. He will have top notch talent to utilize. He should be able to build upon what Monken has already been doing and put his signature on it. Would be nice to see fewer "bubble screens" and hopefully a more productive ground game.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Cannot guarantee fewer screens with Bobo, but I can see an uptick in the ground game. Will be interesting to see the Bobo offense. I expect the Monken influence...why? Cause it works.

• Options
    MACDAWGMACDAWG Posts: 261 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 2023

I would like to offer a little different perspective. Every offensive recruit was probably thinking, "Yeah, but who knows how long Monken will be there". They were right, he doesn't stay anywhere very long. I don't think Bobo will be going anywhere anytime soon. Stability is a good thing, if you have good people. Bobo has been really good in the past. His best years have been as an OC and he's had a year to see and learn from Monken's offensive approach, so he has an opportunity and that's all it is, an opportunity. I think this could be a really good situation and if things play out right, we could be even better under his leadership.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 2023

@UGA66 in 2020 when UGA had less talent, Monken's influence "worked" to the tune of 32 points per game. Meanwhile Bobo offenses in 2012 and 2013 put up 38 ppg. 2013 dipped to 37 ppg. But in 2014 UGA averaged 41 ppg. Granted 2012-2013 was Aaron Murray at QB, but 2014 Bobo had Hutson Mason to work with. Suffice to say that Colorado State hired Bobo for a reason: his offenses were quite good.

Hey, here's a good thought experiment ... anyone up for comparing the UGA talent level 2012-2014 to that in 2020, Monken's first year? As someone who remembers how many times Murray had to pick himself off the turf - and Murray actually could scramble and run, he just didn't have anywhere to go but right into a defensive lineman's arms when he tried - I don't think that the Monken backers would like that comparison very much.

• Options
    JTM22JTM22 Posts: 69 ✭✭✭ Junior

I selfishly would still like a 1k receiver from either Brock or any other WR… can’t believe it’s still been only Edwards to top it.

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I would too, but you know what happens when UGA is up by 24 midway through the 3rd quarter. At that point we get to see a highly effective ground attack, and a defense that strikes fear throughout the NCAA (even when the backups are in the game). What we don’t get to see under those conditions is the Dawgs slinging it around and racking up ridiculous receiving yards. I’ve learned to appreciate this style of play, so I don’t mind watching the best defense in the nation stifling some high power offense that was supposed to hang 50 on them.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 534 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 534 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 2023

Well, was hoping this would come next year but its now. Bobo did great ac OC at UGA. Aaron Murray set several all-time UGA and SEC records I believe. And with usually not nearly as cohesive nor overall nearly as good O-lines as we have had under Smart.

I feel great about Bobo, hoped it was next year to get another year with Monken. My only concern is the game has changed over the last few years and is Bobo on top of that? Or sticking with what was working a decade ago? We will certainly find out soon because he has the talent but inexperience at QB's and under Bobo inexperienced QB's didn't do great. That being said most of them were very young , Freshmen like Murray and Stafford, not being groomed for 2-3 years like Brock and Carson. Also, there is the Kirby Smart factor.

So it is going to be interesting. It is a great setup for Bobo, with the well groomed QB's and O-line and a defense that is going to get the ball back quick and often. I feel very optimistic Bobo can find his groove and put up big numbers, But remember this one thing too.

Big numbers, big plays are electric. But they do not wear down a defense nearly as much as long drives. So 1,000 yard receivers and QB's setting records, should not be important. The priority must be to wear down defenses, while letting your defense rest and scoring at the same time. That is playing chess instead of checkers.

Checkers is flashy and puts up gawdy numbers but tires out your own defense instead of the other teams. Chess wins the big games. If you're defense is tired, Alabama will destroy you with the run in the 2nd half. Every time. So play chess and rotate the defensive players. Checkmate...

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 798 ✭✭✭✭ Senior