Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football Hall of Fame coach Mark Richt explains why Mike Bobo hire makes perfect sense

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited February 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football Hall of Fame coach Mark Richt explains why Mike Bobo hire makes perfect sense

Kirby Smart’s football staff has a familiar look about it, and former Georgia coach Mark Richt couldn’t be more pleased for Smart and his former assistants.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think the concensus (certainly among UGA fans and Alummi), is that Bobo is a slam dunk. But I don't know that anyone looking in from the outside is going wow! He'll take them to the next level!

It's not a bad hire for sure, not saying that, it certainly makes the transition to another OC much more seamless, and I don't know who CKS had to choose from this late in the game that would be better than Bobo. THere's just something in me that says, Ok I get it, but Iit's sort of like marrying your ex-wife again. She's still pretty and a few years have gone by and you've forgotten the things you used to didn't like about her and it's all water under the bridge and full steam ahead!

I will reserve judgment as to it being a "great"hire til I see the results on the field. Is it a great fit? Sure! It's certainly comfortable, he's UGA family. He's known to be a great recuiter. Bobo and his wife and Kiby and his wife are great friends and he's a really good man by all accounts. THeres is stability now with the program; we won't have to go through the annual is Monken staying or leaving drama.

Monken said it wasn't about family though, if UGA didn't score his arse was getting fired. Does anyone truly feel that Bobo feels exactly the same way Monken felt? He and Will and Kirby are all buddies and it's hard to sustain the level of success we've experienced the last 2 seasons. I would imagine it would be ard to have that conversation where you have to fire a close friend. Hopefully that never has to happen, but is CKS going to have the same critical eye towards Bobo as he would of had for a Monken? Common sense tells me otherwise.

If SB is right, and it more about the the Jimmies and Joes than the X's and O's anyway, then we're in really good shape, we've got those guys in spades!

• Options
    Tom_BomadilTom_Bomadil Posts: 68 ✭✭✭ Junior

Richt is a great guy, no doubt. As a coach, he never had the fire to take Georgia to the highest level. Why did Georgia lose almost every game that mattered in those days? Bobo's unimaginative play calling was part of the reason. Game close or holdiing a slim lead? Run the ball three times up the middle and punt. That was Bobo's solution. Playing "safe"football does not win championships.

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I hope that playing safe mentality is gone. On defense, everyone is trying to hold opponents to 10 pts or less. Every play is important. On offense, trying to put up 40 points a game is the goal, so every play is important. Getting into the forth quarter and running up the middle is ****. If you want to be conservative in the forth quarter, then have inventive running plays.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If those of us that have been in our vocations what ever those might be and even retired from them ask ourselves this question. Did I get better the longer my tenure ran, or about the same as when I first started my job ? I would certainly hope and think that the answer would be, Oh Yes I got much better at my job as I got more experience. OK. Then throw in this, and the company I worked for began to add in more and more resources as I worked there. And because my company began to install more and better resources, they were able to attract and hire more and higher quality employees for me to work with. As a result my company won Two back to back national awards for achievement in business. Now apply these terms to UGA and Mike Bobo. UGA added Far More resources when Kirby came on board, which in turn enabled and assisted him to recruit at the very highest levels. And No that’s not taking away from his Superb recruiting skills, it’s just a Fact which I very much appreciate UGA for. Now think about Will Muschamp and Mike Bobo. It’s not like those two great coaches and men were frozen in ice locked in time. NO !!’ Both have evolved and adapted with the times. But I think I can say with pretty good accuracy that Neither ever enjoyed the level of talent they Now have at their disposal. One knock on them that’s not Really a knock, Neither were well suited to being Head Coaches. It just wasn’t their forte, Both are much better suited to being Coordinators ( Something that Monken might find out the hard way some where down the road). Kirby is just blessed to have that ability to go from a coordinator to HC. I honestly Believe that Both Muschamp and Bobo can have long, successful, and prosperous time at UGA. Time will tell the story, it’s a We’ll see proposition. But I don’t think Bobo is the same young, inexperienced, stubborn, guy from before. AND he wasn’t That bad back then, people tend to remember your failures more so than your successes. I remember wanting to choke him Lol when he’d get fixated on that run the ball up the middle 9 out of 10 plays stuff !! BUT I also remember him dialing up some Excellent plays, and allot of times. It’s just those Stubborn calls over shadowed the good. But I Believe he’s grown past that. And let’s face it, unless he’s an absolute buffoon we can win on shear talent !! Lastly on the friendship with Kirby thing, Nah Kirby ain’t gonna let Anyone cost him HIS job or legacy !! If Bobo can’t cut it, Kirby Will cut him !! That’s the bottom of All bottom lines. Before it got That bad rest assured Kirby will have chewed Mike’s back side and Demanded a real fix and that beyond ASAP !! It’s not like Kirby knows nothing about Offensive football !! We’ll be just fine.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The biggest thing I have against Bobo is against SC we lost 5 times (while he was the OC) to them in his 8 years. We were 3-5 against a team that had an average recruiting rank of 21st during that time while our recruiting rankings were 8th in the nation. The Ole Ball coach used to mock us at all the good recruits we got and then they won the game.

In3 of our losses to SC the offense only averaged 8 points per game. HUh!?!

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 2023

For you naysayers…. Give me a name of someone who would be a better choice for the job than BoBo. Think about all aspects of filling the position, past experience, past performance, fit for the program, recruiting background, difficulty of transition …. BoBo average basically same ppg his last 3 years at Uga as Monken in his 3. And our D gave up 2-3 X the points. BoBo was also a Broyles finalist. Again, think about it and tell us who is a better choice than MB? We’ll look forward to your expert opinions.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Are we forgetting that you have to have a defense to WIN...especially in the SEC...with the likes of the "2005-2015 Florida, Tennessee, Carolina and Mizzou" in the East.

Those guys would give today's Dawgs a run for their money....and UGA had "Wee Willie" Martinez and "Nada Defense" Grantham NOT stopping anybody. They had plenty of talent at the time, too.

Richt couldn't get a grip on his defense, until it was too late. That was his "big FAIL" and why he's not still coaching the Dawgs, today. He hired Pruitt...then got fired for Martinez and Grantham. If he'd had half the defense, UGA has today...or an average of the last 7...he would have at least 2 Championships, if not more.

Bottom line...Richt's loyalty to his friend, Willie Martinez, cost him...and by extension, Mike Bobo...dearly. Smart's loyalty is to "The Bulldog Program".

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MikeGriffith ...I had no idea, Richt was that desperate to find a DC, at the time. There had to have been better options than Willie "bend-don't-break" Martinez...but, your OC? A guy that played QB, just ~10 yrs prior? That doesn't make sense. Lol

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree. Richt didn't have the line of scrimmage talent to be elite, especially on defense during the later stages of his time at UGA. Bobo did a great job of developing his QB's, and lest we forget, Bobo was running Richt's offense.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I seriously doubt Kirby promotes Bobo to OC, if it he didn't think it would benefit the players, or the team. Only time will tell how good of a decision it was to promote Bobo. Kirby has 2 National Championships, I have ZERO lol, so Kirby knows what he's doing. He's proven that in grand fashion, in back to back seasons. I agree with a lot of these comments, UGA lacked a dominant defense, and big, scrappy OL during Bobo's stint as OC under Richt..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    DawgfromILMDawgfromILM Posts: 27 ✭ Freshman

It's 3rd and long. My magic 8 ball says, "Halfback draw". Bobo and Richt were so predictable. I hope Bobo has learned from his mistakes.

• Options
    Tom_BomadilTom_Bomadil Posts: 68 ✭✭✭ Junior

Richt sounding off about Bobo being a good fit? LOL. This from the guy who seldom won the big ones. Him and Bobo were two peas in a pod. No imagination. If the game was close, the choice was run it up the middle and punt.