Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Report: Stetson Bennett attempted to hide from Dallas police, details emerge

Comments

• Options
    edubbedubb Posts: 54 ✭✭✭ Junior

A non article and a shame it was written. I wonder how many college students when they did something dumb while intoxicated have tried to hide from the law? I could write a book on my college antics and evading law enforcement on and off campus. I am not condoning Stetson’s antics by any means but give the guy a break! He is human and that is obvious. I bet Mike Griffin if truth be known had one or two near happenings himself. If not kudos to him. I think Griffin types are one of the reasons Stetson developed such a disdain for media hacks.

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior

What is it with all the hurt feelings here on DN against MG? All he has to do is mention SB and some people are screaming like they got slapped. I am starting to believe that some of the trolls on here are actually SB with made up accounts. That is the only way to explain why some of the people on here take it so personally when MG reports on SB. Give the guy a break, he is just doing his job. The rest of you malcontents, go find another site to cry about.

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This story needs to clarify that the officers actually said "attempt to possibly avoid" detection, yet he came out when they called him out. They also called the duty sargeant to back up the arrest, which is often done when the arrest isn't cut and dried. He was detained because they were "concerned" that he might be a victim of a future crime, according to the Banner herald story. Also his arrest was classified as a "diversion public intoxication", which likely means that his blood level wasn't sufficient qualify as legally drunk. The "secret" on this is that the measured level does not have to be the standard 0.08 for the arresting officer(s) to call it "drunk".

This is all still very confusing

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

No news here. At least he wasn't naked, so I'm happy about that. I figured the whole time he was in an unfamiliar town, knew someone or met someone who lives there, most likely a pretty girl, and was wasted and trying to find the right door and thought he did have the right one or someone who answered could tell him which one it was. To me this is a non story and is typical of a wasted young man in an unfamiliar complex where most all units look the same and you don't have your phone to call who you're looking for. My money is on a late night bootie call or...simply where he was crashing nearby

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@MikeGriffith isnt a “homer” like the other writers thus his unbiased style does stand out Throw in a sometimes love/hate relation dawgnation had with Stetson in 2021 and everyone forgetting all the negative comments in 2022 and you have a recipe for a heated topic This is the silly season and until Spring practice starts, topics and content will be whatever we get.

• Options
    DawgOnTheBeachDawgOnTheBeach Posts: 59 ✭✭✭ Junior

BFD!!! Once again MG is breaking a huge story!! We are so blessed to have his insightful journalistic reporting. It takes real skill to provide a police blotter report.

• Options
    Roman13Roman13 Posts: 26 ✭✭ Sophomore

Bennett is not an 18 year old college kid. He’s a grown man at 25 or 26 years. He acted **** and got caught. I appreciate that he led us to 2 National Championships but does not excuse **** behavior.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2023

@MikeGriffith

Mike...why didn't you add the following, from the report...

They responded to reports of a man wandering in the neighborhood...blah, blah, blah...they smelled alcohol on him and arrested him for his own safety as he didn't know where his friend lived.

He was lost...and I guarantee you...if I dropped you off in "a friend's" neighborhood and you had the wrong address...I challenge you to come up with a phone number, without your phone. I couldn't do it...I rely on my instant Rolodex. Lol

Illegal...NO.

Poor Judgement...YES.

Alcohol involed...MAYBE

End of story. Lol

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"wasted young man"? SBIV is 25 years old. On the verge of the biggest challenge and job interview of his life. He is either extremely immature, not very bright or has a problem with alcohol. Nothing else explains it.

Someone else said something "it happens to every typical college student". Yes you could write it off for most 18-22 year old college students. How many college students are 25?

"He went out w/o his cell phone". Interesting in that no one goes anywhere w/o there cell phone these days. Maybe the TN fans were blowing it up?

If you are inebriated, alone and in an unfamiliar place in any city these days you are absolutely in danger. The only thing he had going for him was that it was 6:30 AM. By 6:30 AM all the bad guys are home sleeping it off.

It is a bad look for SBIV. It will be discussed ad nauseum at the combine. Not what he wants his interviews to focus on I'm sure.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2023

I guess I’m being selfish, and I’m not trying to diminish the loss of the two young people, No Way !! But I’m sure looking forward to G Day when there will be Happy and Positive things to talk about, and Football to discuss. It just seems like every thing of late has been so sad and bad. Again I’m certainly not trying to trivialize recent events. And I apologize if I come off as being selfish. I just look forward to G Day for all the things I referenced And to hopefully pull us back together as a fanbase. Tensions and negative emotions and stress are pretty intense among us right now. Maybe G Day will be a bit of a healing balm. I sure Hope so. I say this from deep within my heart and I Mean it, May The Lord Bless and Protect You All. And to those who I got in heated debate with in recent times, and I made **** comments to, I’m Sorry and offer my sincere apologies. Life is so short. The Holy Bible says that our lives are as a vapor on this earth, meaning our time is so short. I’m a Very opinionated person, and as the ole cantankerous feller I am I can and am many times pretty stubborn. I’m very set in my ways. But I’d a thousand times over prefer making a New Friend, and really regret making an enemy. To many times I let my temper get out of hand, and say things that probably would have been better left unsaid. I know a few things about life, but there’s a whole lot more that I Don’t know. But I do know This at least speaking for Me, we are living in some Very trying and stressful times. In my humble opinion we are living in some very dangerous times. Coming here is an escape from all that. It is SO Great to be able to come here and talk football among like minded people. And though I’ve been a fan of the game most of my 66 years, I learn from Yall all the time and I’m thankful for that. Also and I say this in a Good way, many times Yall will make me laugh or smile about something. In other words Yall brighten my day !! I Know there have been To Many times that I came on To Strong on different subjects. And/Or over reacted to a comment made by another poster and replied with mean spirited comments. As I said earlier I apologize for that. And I’ll try harder to do better in controlling that. There’s really no suitable excuse but I suffer from chronic physical pain, sometimes pretty excruciating, as well as some mental health issues, now those are My problems, but I hope Y’all will appreciate that those issues make maintaining my composure Sometimes quite a bit more difficult. To close this novel, To Me as my fellow Dawgs Fans I see Y’all as a great big extended Family of sorts. So in my heart contrary to how I behave sometimes, Im always Praying and Hoping the best that life has to offer for All of you !! Y’all know if we Really want to be Bashed on all we have to do is go to a rival site and tell Em we’re Dawgs fans and they’d immediately open fire on us !! Just Pity Em cause it’s hard for them to talk to Fans of Back2Back soon to be 3Peat National Champs !! I Love Yall !! Spring is coming soon !! Enjoy Life !! Just Be Safe !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    1946Dawgshappened1946Dawgshappened Posts: 66 ✭✭✭ Junior

" All he has to do is mention SB and some people are screaming like they got slapped"

MG has earned every bit of criticism he gets with his biased reporting and interviews for the last year and a half.

" I am starting to believe that some of the trolls on here are actually SB with made up accounts"

I have been thinking you're actually MG for a few months now.

• Options

"@MikeGriffithisnt a “homer” like the other writers thus his unbiased style does stand out"

I don't know what you're reading but MG is very biased. Easily seen in his writing and heard in his interviews.

• Options

"wasted young man"? SBIV is 25 years old"

That is still a young man and what he did is hardly jaw dropping. Get a grip.

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Handcuffed for a misdemeanor? And, this story is reported over and over and over?

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2023

Nope hardly jaw dropping. Just really dumb for a 25 year old under the microscope trying to get a multi million dollar job. Questionable decision making? Have we heard that before? Probably written in every SBIV combine player evaluation.

But, based on your posts, I wouldn't expect you to understand when something is dumb or smart.

• Options
    BASDawgBASDawg Posts: 39 ✭✭ Sophomore

So, if you're drunk and hide when you see the police coming, it's a crime now? Wow, I had no idea. I was extremely lucky back in my day - the 1970s.