Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart at forefront of pending rules changes that will shorten games

SystemSystem Posts: 10,706 admin
edited March 2023 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart at forefront of pending rules changes that will shorten games

INDIANAPOLIS — Georgia coach Kirby Smart is at the forefront of three proposed rules changes that will shorten games and reduce the number of plays.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Commercial breaks are what lengthen the game. Sometimes the halftime break last 20-25 minutes. Pro halftimes seem twice as short as college.

• Options
    robinsdawgrobinsdawg Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

There was a pretty good article on Sportsnation about these rule changes. One thing it said about halftime length was halftime shows with the bands being part of the college game day experience versus NFL. Also, said Pitt coach Pat Narduzi said he was in favor of the clock rules so the game would be more like NFL, which would prep players for playing at next level. My point for this comment is, I’m against anything that makes the college game more like the NFL. I couldn’t even stay awake during the “exciting” Super Bowl, as I found it a boring game.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think for me personally(you may beg to differ) but if I was going to load up the family(or just me and the Mrs.), travel to a destination and spend the night in a hotel and get up the next morning and tailgate and spend hundreds of dollars, I'm after the experience. I'm not sitting in the stands wishing the game was over already(maybe a little in a blowout against East Texas St.) but you get my drift. I don't want to walk into the stadium, sit down and leave 2 hours later.

Baseball has made a huge effort to speed up the game, and from a watching on TV experience I get it. It can be boring. I love the Braves but I rarely(playoffs only) just sit and watch the whole game on TV. I'm watching other things and checking in periodically.

I can't remember watching UGA on TV and being bored. It's usually the quickest 3 hours of my life every week in the fall. My wife says the same thing about Jeopardy!