Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football winners and losers following 2023 NFL Combine

SystemSystem Posts: 10,480 admin
edited March 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football winners and losers following 2023 NFL Combine

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    street0123street0123 Posts: 67 ✭✭✭ Junior

Hilarious, so does the media really think the culture at UGA is to street race cars?

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The national sports media want nothing more than to run down Kirby Smart. He's reached heights that they could never dream of and they hate him for it.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Still no mention of Kearis Jackson at all. Just amazing.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2023

There will always be critics. Remember the CFB media's narrative before '21? " if not this year then when/never". That has been silenced along with opposing fans/coaches "1980"/ "UGA can't win the big game".

BUT this offseason is a wake up call to the UGA staff/CKS that these are still young people prone to making bad decisions. "Player leadership" is essential but it doesn't replace leadership from mature adults. CKS need to step it up 2 notches. People died in a UGA leased vehicle clubbing, drinking, driving and racing. That calls into question whether the proper levels of institutional control were in place. There are also outstanding questions whether recruits were taken to the **** (undress) club and/or served alcohol. Turning a blind eye has sunk a number of CFB programs.

Multiple racing issues are also indicative of a major, serious problem. With NIL money now putting inexperienced drives behind the wheel of luxury. high powered muscle cars additional coaching, interaction and counseling needs to take place.

Street racing shows are very popular. AGilbert wrecked his Mercedes, aTm players racing/driving recklessly, multiple racing arrests at UGA. There is a major problem that has already claimed lives. Because of that "lack of institutional control" UGA is directly in the crosshairs regarding multiple million dollar lawsuits. You can bet that CKS has been in some pretty uncomfortable meetings with the highest level of UGA Administration regarding leadership and corrective action. There will be changes.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Once again, I'll say it....if Chicago would draft SBIV to push....replace JF, The Bears will go to the Super Bowl.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@GtheGreek

Look at the Bears' situation at OL, WR, RB and defense and consider the fact that Fields, despite having 2 years NFL experience, is actually 2 years younger than SB IV and get back to me. The relevance? SB IV was terrible in 2020 - 55% completions, only 2 more TDs than INTs, benched twice - when UGA didn't have the same massive talent advantage over everyone else that it had the last 2 years. That would be SB IV's situation in Chicago, where not only the Vikings and Packers but even the Lions have more talent than the Bears do. I am going to say that 3 of the guys on UGA's 2021 OL would start in Chicago right now. And both Brock Bowers and Darnell Washington are miles better than anything Chicago has had at TE in ages.

Yes, Bennett IV has 2 rings. So does AJ McCarron, who is playing in the XFL right now.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You give young men(some gals too evidently) fast cars and booze and a whole day of celebrating and stuff could get sideways, and it did. Drag racing if you call it that has been around for nearly 100 years. Ever watched American Graffitti?

The 57 Chevy, the Pony cars of the 60's . If you had one then you know what it was like to pull up at a redlight next to someone who had one too. THe street racing thing of today from casual observance is a by-product of the Fast and Furious movies. It takes it to another level, far more dangerous than 2 young bucks pulling off from a redlight for a couple of hundred yards at the most.

I think that Fast and Furious Culture has embedded itself in the minds of a lot of our our youth. Whether it's a serious problem at UGA, I can't say. I do see news reports out of Atlanta where it seems to be an ongoing weekly weekend deal. Testosterone to the max!

• Options
    CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

@GtheGreek

Thanks. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time

• Options
    1946Dawgshappened1946Dawgshappened Posts: 66 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yes thadec you are such a genius. Didn't you tell everyone on here how weak Stetson's arm was last weak? You're the last person I would listen to about anything.

• Options
    1946Dawgshappened1946Dawgshappened Posts: 66 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited March 2023

"You can bet that CKS has been in some pretty uncomfortable meetings with the highest level of UGA Administration regarding leadership and corrective action. There will be changes"

Here comes UGADad20, the board know it all to tell us common folks what will happen. Tell me again about Stetsons noodle arm and how he underthrows everybody. Noticed you haven't mentioned that since he threw at the combine. Wonder why? It's like your theories were proven bs so you just move on to the next thing. Quit stating your weak opinions as facts. Learn some humility.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good roundup. Three comments:

1. I'm still wondering about Kearis.
    2. I'm really looking forward to seeing Earnest Greene.
    3. I'm really, really glad Kirby sat down with ESPN.

On that last point: I agree with @UGADad20 and others that more needs to be done -- both on transparency/PR/messaging and on actual culture/behavior/internal-enforcement issues.

I'm not casting blame on Kirby or the university. And I'm rendering some judgment that there's something wrong with the "culture." Although I'll admit that the staff member's misuse of a rented vehicle does raise fair questions, I don't think any of us truly know the answer to whether there's a problem with the culture that's any different from the issues at any other major program.

Regardless, UGA needs at this point that no other Georgia athletes engage in the kind of behavior that could get them in trouble -- or lead to getting injured or worse. Whether that means leveraging the horrors surrounding the crash to get the message across, or setting hard and fast rules about things like street racing and violence, real steps need to be taken. Probably in both those categories.

First and foremost, that's of course to truly coach these young men as complete men -- something Kirby is proud have incorporated into his philosophy from the very start. Only secondly, it's simply good for the program and its future. The last thing we need is another major incident to label the program as "Bad Boy U." -- something it most certainly it is not.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2023

Not 6 months ago you stated Stetson WOULD NOT be drafted by ANY NFL team. Now, you've did a complete 180 on that matter, not suprising I guess, considering....Welcome aboard, to a typical bandwagon fan..NOTHING MORE.

• Options
    CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm sure Stets throws a real good deep ball in practice. It only him 9 games (against Tenn to Arian Smith) to compete one in a real game last season