Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kenny McIntosh turns in less than stellar 40-yard dash NFL combine

SystemSystem Posts: 10,489 admin
edited March 2023 in Article commenting
imageKenny McIntosh turns in less than stellar 40-yard dash NFL combine

Georgia has been an NFL running back factory recently, and Kenny McIntosh is next to come off the assembly line.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah you could tell KMac was disappointed with his 40. But he did very well on the other drills. Maybe he can smooth things out at Pro-Day. I sure hope so. In the right system he could flourish. His work for UGA was not accidental, it was the result of tons of hard work and natural athletic ability. I feel he’s more than capable of beating the times he had today. I wonder if there’s such a thing as trying To Hard in the 40 ?

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He was probably never a 3 down back (workhorse) in the NFL. They're usually bigger guys. Most teams use multiple backs anyway. He is definitely a 3rd down back with his receiving ability. He can play and contribute on the 1st 2 downs because he can run and block.

• Options

Well said !! Most NFL teams in this era ( though I stopped watching when the kneeling at the Ntl. Anthem thing come out) last I saw rotate RBs in and out as much or more as most college teams. KMac will find a niche, and which ever team takes him will be glad they did. Like I said the work we saw him do with our own eyes didn’t happen by chance. With the ability to focus solely on football with no classes to attend for his education, he will polish his craft and shine !!

• Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Eh, it isn’t great but it’s miles better than the 4.78 and 4.82 that Elijah Holyfield ran at the combine just 3 years ago after training for 10 weeks for it. That resulted in him going undrafted and being a practice squad player after rushing for over 1k yards for our Dawgs while splitting carries with the multi-talented RB Swift. Never understood why he gave up his Senior year to turn pro early🤷‍♂️.

Anyway, that 4.62 isn’t going to hurt Kenny the way Holyfield was. Plus Kenny is dual purpose and has some of the best hands of any RB in this years draft class. Kenny also has 2+ years of top notch numbers as a dual purpose back and looked great at the senior bowl. Maybe round 4 or early 5 at latest.

• Options

Agree. And he gets one more opportunity at Pro-Day. Maybe that’ll feel a little more familiar to him and he’ll have better success. He even said himself he hoped to turn in the 4.4s. He wouldn’t have said that if he didn’t think he could get pretty close To it would he ? Anyway like you and UGADad20 said and I fully agree so that’s At Least three of us Dawgs fans that see it that way, his collegiate body of work speaks volumes about what he Can do. And we know these NFL folks watch plenty of tape on these players before they thump down big $$$ !! KMac has a Very high level of Character and Work Ethic. To the best of my knowledge I’ve never heard of any Off field issues. He’s definitely a Team player. I think ( I sure hope) an NFL team will see his value. I mean KMac has Receiver like hands catching the ball, that should help his stock allot. Who knows in the NFL they might even Make him a slot receiver ??

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited March 2023

@UGADad20 and @navydawg

Huh? McIntosh isn't 199 lbs like James Cook. He is 210 lbs. Plenty of starting RBs are that size (Dalvin Cook, Miles Sanders, Chris McCaffrey, Travis Etienne, Aaron Jones, Dameon Pearce, Austin Ekeler). If anything, the converse is true: we rarely see RBs bigger than 235 lbs any more like Mike Alstott (250), Eddie George (250), Jamal Lewis (240), Jerome Bettis (260) and TJ Duckett (260) because the best athletes with size are now playing defense where there is more money.

Also, it isn't true that "most teams rotate backs or do RB by committee". Instead 16 guys had 1000 yards rushing in the NFL last season. Injuries and other circumstances prevented about a half dozen others from getting there. The teams that don't have a feature tailback these days absolutely would if they had one good enough to feature. It is just that there are fewer RBs in the NFL with feature RB ability these days because - as I mentioned earlier - the money is in being a pass rusher, DB or WR these days so that is what the best athletes are choosing to play these days in high school, in contrast with 30 years ago when the star tailback was "the big man on campus."

Also, McIntosh's "body of work" is ... 830 rushing yards. That is good for #74 in the country. And considering that he played 15 games, his per-game average puts him lower on that list. Granted his yards from scrimmage was better, but still #27. Scouts are willing to overlook your productivity taking a hit because of the offensive system that you played in only if you do like Washington this year and Cook last year and test really well. They are also willing to overlook average measurables if you are extremely productive. But a tailback who puts up 55 yards a game and runs a 4.6 has no case for getting drafted high. Yes he contributed to 2 national titles but NFL scouts don't care about that. If they did, Mitch Trubisky (career record 8-5) and Pat Mahomes (an even worse 13-19 in college) don't both get taken over Deshaun Watson.

So yes, while it was a great run with SB IV and the system that Kirby and Todd Monken built around him, continuing with that system would have meant practically no 4 and 5 star RBs and WRs coming to Athens to put up 500 rushing yards and 300 receiving yards a year respectively and getting drafted in the 5th and 7th round as a result. Bobo coming back with Carson Beck at QB running a more traditional offense will mean skill players putting up bigger numbers and getting drafted higher. That will get them coming to UGA instead of heading to USC, Oklahoma, Alabama, LSU, Ohio State and Clemson like they have been.

• Options
    1946Dawgshappened1946Dawgshappened Posts: 66 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yes thadec you are such a genius. Didn't you tell everyone on here how weak Stetson's arm was last weak? You're the last person I would listen to about anything.