Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia basketball builds ‘foundation,’ but longest NCAA tourney drought in SEC continues

SystemSystem Posts: 10,457 admin
edited March 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia basketball builds ‘foundation,’ but longest NCAA tourney drought in SEC continues

.Georgia basketball coach Mike White called his first season leading the Bulldogs a step in the right direction, even if that step fell short of a postseason appearance.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It appears that Mike is sticking it out with this UGA team. I'll give him next year, then we will see if any real progress is made. I do wish him well. A lot of first time players need more team experience. Mike performed very well at Florida. This ain't Florida as he quickly ascertained. He needs some big time defensive types. Still no 7 footers,

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Baby steps, I guess. Hard to say how attractive the program could be to recruits. I can't imagine the coliseum losing chunks is a big draw.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2023

And...that foundation is built on Limestone and Mud. Lol

Not till they get a real Coach. Sorry, but, no cigar. Lol

To be clear...I think Mike White would be an excellent coach, for an established Program...but, not for UGA. Kentucky may be looking for a new coach, soon.

UGA needs a vision for their Basketball program and a guy tough enough, "Smart" enough and determined enough, to make it happen. Kinda like they did with the football Program.

Mike White, is to the Basketball Program...what Mark Richt was to the Football Program. I just hope it doesn't take 15 years to figure that out.

Go Dawgs...there's always "Next Year". Lol...we got used to saying that a lot, with the Football Program. No biggie.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wish I could say I had hope for the future, but I do not. I saw nothing from this team that indicates next year will be any better == and we'll probably lose some of returning players to transfer or whatever. And, I'm not ready to dump everything on our (apparently) woeful NIL deals. UGA basketball was in the dumps long before NIL was a thing. I do think we need to put more resources into the team, and I am really puzzled about why the athletic administration appears so reluctant to do so. But even then, I'm just not sure we'll get it done, unless we pay a boatload of money to get a really high-profile coach. Watch, Ole Miss will hire Chris Beard -- domestic abuse allegations and all -- and in 2-3 years, they'll be in the NCAA Tourney and few folks will be talking about those allegations. We're just in a bad spot right now with the men's BB program, and I don't see a quick turnaround.

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Find good players and develop them like Tony Bennett at Virginia. I don't ever recall them consistently having top 5 or even top 10 recruiting classes and to my knowledge they don't have a large NIL bank. On the NIL front, is a lack of NIL the reason most of the top players in the State go out of State?

• Options
    10DAWG10DAWG Posts: 254 ✭✭✭ Junior

The only expectation I had, was to have a little more stability and consistency. Not sure we've seen that, had some real head scratchers. I do however think, that going forward, NIL will play a large part in all sports. That's why the AD role is growing more important even though it's "not" their responsibility, they will need to be more active behind the scenes. Take Mike's brother Danny for example, the job he's done in the small amount of time he's been at UTK. He realizes it's a business and you are competing for $$$, so you have to make the most of your opportunities to enhance the fan experience with all the programs. I'm not sure Josh Brooks is doing that, the status quo just doesn't get it any longer. Maybe he needs a larger and more creative staff to promote the programs as should be.