Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Social media reacts to latest Kirby Smart-Nick Saban coach rankings debate

SystemSystem Posts: 10,486 admin
edited March 2023 in Article commenting
imageSocial media reacts to latest Kirby Smart-Nick Saban coach rankings debate

At the very least, Kirby Smart has considerably closed the gap between himself and Nick Saban in the past two seasons as far as who is the best coach in college football.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2023

To me, it's somewhat of an Apples to Oranges comparison despite the 2 coaches being so similar. Smart is clearly the "hottest" coach in College Football and clearly is taking the steam away from Saban while Saban clearly has the established record of dominance.

I believe that Saban needs to get a NC back on his belt within the next few years or he'll just retire in which case Georgia will absorb much of Bama's dominance and Bama will drop back down to a Top-15 team.

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 218 ✭✭✭ Junior

Smart still has 5 or so years of his team performing at this level before he can truly be considered one of the greatest of all times. He's on his way there, but this is premature. The greats build dynasties that last more than 2-3 years. The greats build legacies. Saban has done that. He may be on his decline, which makes sense at his age, while Smart is still ascending.

Let's look at this again when Saban announces his retirement. I think we'll have a better view at that time.

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior

Everyone always says that Saban was Kirby's mentor - there might be some of that, but I absolutely believe that Saban was not a great HC until Kirby joined his staff. Yes, I am willing to say that Kirby had a great influence on Saban's success.

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Some math.

We waited 41 years for a Natty. Then we waited 1. Kirby Smart has 23 years before he's Saban's current age. Time will tell.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Non issue. Both really good coaches.

• Options
    Michael_ScarnMichael_Scarn Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I couldn't agree more and I'm pretty sure neither man is losing a second of sleep about their ranking. Bigger fish to fry!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2023

It's a pretty pointless debate. If we're talking all time, there's no debate that it's Saban. If we're talking who's currently the best, there's no debate that it's Smart. I don't understand how anyone can say it's just Saban and leave it at that. One coach has won 2 national titles in the last 2 years and will start next season as the odds-on favorite to make it 3 in a row; the other has won 1 in the last 5. To say that the latter is currently the better of the two based on things he did several years to two decades ago is simply not a valid argument. It would be like saying Smart is already the all-time greatest because he's on track to surpass Saban's resume by the time he (Smart) retires. Just as Smart needs to actually go out and do it before he gets that kind of credit, so does Saban need to keep up with Smart to still be considered the better active coach.

• Options
    JuniorDawgJuniorDawg Posts: 13 ✭ Freshman

Saban: 10.7 million a year.

Smart: 10.25 million a year.

Yeah, neither is losing sleep over this debate.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@truthteller

So, winning an SEC title in year 2 and a national title in year 4 at LSU was easy or something for Saban? You might want to check out LSU's decades of mediocrity prior to that first. LSU's association with the Sugar Bowl is myth. The truth is that - (Bernie Moore going to 3 straight Sugar Bowls in the 1930s aside) LSU rarely went to the Sugar Bowl before Saban, and what is more usually lost the few times they did go (Bernie Moore losing 3 straight Sugar Bowls in the 1930s included).

Or are you one of those who believes that Kirby joined the Saban staff at LSU prior to 2004?

• Options
    10DAWG10DAWG Posts: 254 ✭✭✭ Junior

“Smart brought the Alabama blueprint with him to Athens seven years ago and became the first Saban disciple to build his own juggernaut,” Nope, Kirby is " The Alabama Blueprint". GAHA KIRBY !!! Show No Mercy !!! "If You Ain't First, You're Last !!!"

• Options
    bigdawg88bigdawg88 Posts: 64 ✭✭ Sophomore

Rat poison, pure and simple.

• Options
    Michael_ScarnMichael_Scarn Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate