Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football QB Derby: Jake Fromm breaks down 3 candidates, ‘different packages’

SystemSystem Posts: 10,483 admin
edited March 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football QB Derby: Jake Fromm breaks down 3 candidates, ‘different packages’

ATHENS — The much anticipated Georgia QB derby is being run at a marathon pace with no real need for an immediate decision.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited March 2023

So ... the folks who read this are going to be rooting for Vandagriff.

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior

So, I know that Beck has paid his dues and certainly deserves a shot at QB1, but I can't help feeling we need someone who can run - keep the defenses honest. Beck can run, but can he run enough to keep defenses off guard like Stetson did? Or break off the kind of runs for TDs that Stetson did? I am leaning towards BVG for that very reason. We can't take a step back with the QB position.

• Options
    JTM22JTM22 Posts: 62 ✭✭✭ Junior

As a local, I was in excitement when BVG chose Georgia. I was and am still rooting for him. I thought Beck was forsure gone, so I admired him for staying as well and do believe some loyalty should be awarded. I don’t think Beck will settle for a two quarterback game plan inside, although he’ll probably settle for anything, but that would affect his draft stock, as he has none right now anyways. I look for one of the upper class QB whether Beck of Brock to transfer out before fall, just my opinion.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@truthteller

While Bennett had 10 rushing TDs for the 2022 title team, he had only 1 rushing TD for the 2021 one. So his TD rushing weren't strictly necessary to win a title.

Also - and I have mentioned this in the past - UGA fans vastly overrate SB IV's rushing prowess. The guy ran for 530 yards in 35 starts for 3.6 yards per carry. No idea why folks are trying to turn that into Tim Tebow, who had 2950 yards rushing for 57 TDs. The impact that SB IV had carrying the football - 260 yards in 2021 and 205 in 2022 - can easily be replaced by having UGA actually run the football again. UGA's leading rushers the past 2 seasons (White and Cook in 2021, McIntosh and Edwards in 2022) have given them 1600 yards combined in 15 game seasons. Najee Harris got nearly 1500 yards by himself in a 13 game season in 2020. You don't need your QB to rush for 10 TDs when your tailback is rushing for 26. Clemson? Same deal. In 2018 Travis Etienne rushed for 1650 yards and 24 TDs. (By the way, his 3 backups averaged 500 yards apiece. Clemson had nearly 4000 yards rushing that season.) Made the fact that Trevor Lawrence didn't come anywhere close to Deshaun Watson's 1100 rushing yards in 2015 something no one even thought about.

The past 2 years UGA had their best OL in decades to go with a deep versatile group of RBs. It had the potential for a powerhouse running game, but that potential was wasted because of a lack of a consistent vertical passing game. SB IV's rushing yards DID NOT compensate for the rushing attack that could have given them 3300 yards at 6 yards per carry. Nor did it compensate for the inability to utilize Brock Bowers, Kearis Jackson and Dom Blaylock to their full potential with regular vertical passing routes. That's something that Carson Beck's arm could bring to the team next season, and the net benefit would be way more than 200 rushing yards by the QB.

• Options
    87Dawg_1187Dawg_11 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭ Junior

You're missing the point with the QB rushing and mobility. The pure rushing stats don't tell the story because it's quality over quantity meaning when the QB does run he picks up first downs that keep drives alive or scores in the red zone when the opponent plays the perfect defense. That's what KS is talking about when he talks about QB mobility. It may just mean buying more time in the pocket to complete a pass or just avoid a sack. As a defensive coach, KS understands he can call the perfect defense and the players can play it perfectly, but a mobile QB is the wild card that can still make a play. In the 2023 national championship game TCU called a blitz on third down and had a free runner off the edge; Bennett saw him, spun out, and picked up a first down. That allowed the drive to continue and the Dawgs scored.

• Options
    CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

I didn't see Tom Brady being very mobile. Guess that's why he only won 7 Super Bowls. I'd much rather have a QB who can go through his progressions with the arm strength and accuracy to get the ball where/when it needs to be instead of someone is mobile so they can buy more time to make 'bone-headed' decisions

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've personally leaned toward Vandagriff, even more so now that we don't have two proven tackles to defend the pocket. But I pretty sure coaches Bobo and Smart will have a better take on which QB will work out best than I would.

That said, @thadec, I still don't get why you're so hung up on individual rushing and receiving statistics.

UGA has won two straight national championships and is about to log the second-straight year with most draft picks. Last year, two of our running backs and a WR were among those drafted and joining NFL squads. This year, the only running back leaving the team will be drafted.

We also aren't exactly coming up short in the recruiting departing. Averaging it out over the last five years, we're No. 2 in the nation by a comfortable margin. And our 2024 recruits look to be on track to be No. 1 again.

I'd love for all our running backs and WRs to get 1,500 yards this season, and for the numbers 1, 2 & 3 RBs and WRs to sign with UGA from now until eternity. But I'd rather that we win the 2023 national championship.

• Options
    LakeSinclairLakeSinclair Posts: 23 ✭✭ Sophomore

Georgia All-time National Championship Leaders

Stetson Bennett 2

Buck Belue 1

Frank Sinkwich 1

Everyone Else 0

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2023

Fromm....3 yrs

Zeier........4yrs

Greene.....4 yrs

Murray.....4 yrs

Bennett....2 yrs

Stetson Bennett, accomplished more, as a "Starter"...than anybody on the list. So, let's start there. Wonder why, there's not an asterisk by Bennett's name. Lol

• Options

You can't argue with a statistician, that avoids common sense at all costs...including, shamelessly being publicly exposed as a fraud. Lol...you can make an argument for literally, anything...using statistical data...depending on how you shape it and which statistics you omit.

The eye and experience, are far more valuable. You "get it".

Any of the three QBs in the room, would be adequate to run a three-peat. But, my money's on Beck. He's more than ready to take it up a notch. Next year (2024)...it's BVG's turn...that is...IF Beck stays healthy all year. BVG may be asked to step in "here and there", throughout the season...and He knows that. Win, lose or draw BVG ain't goin' anywhere after Spring Paractice....UNLESS, Stockton overtakes Him as backup to Beck.

MG, is correct. The sample size for all 3 QBs is slim to none. So, as for us fans and the media...we're just going to have to let the next few weeks play out, knowing CKS is at the helm. The best Captain of the best Ship in the fleet. It's great to be a Dawg. Lol

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The reality is that it's tough from a fans perspective as we don't get to see the guys in practice and see how the offense responds, how well they know the playbook, etc.

Comparing others to Bennett is silly just like comparing Bennett to Murray to Stafford. All unique situations and team makeups.

My gut says that Vandagriff isn't going to work out and he transfers. Remember that on some teams he would've been on his 2nd or 3rd year. If some true Freshman can play, then you would expect a Junior to be completely ready. If there is any sign on G Day that he isn't yet polished then I suspect he never will be. I predict Beck plays and eventually Stockton creeps up behind him ready to take over if he gets injured.

• Options

IMO...those 3 guys are still there, because UGA has become an NFL-quality team that..currently...everyone looks to as "The Standard". Including NFL GM's and HC's.

BVG, Beck and Stockton are all in training for "the next level" and already have the NFL's attention. Now, it's just a matter of...what they do with the opportunity to QB UGA's offense, once they get it.

Stats are only relevant on losing teams, that rely on 2 or 3 players for offensive production. For those 2 or 3 players..."Stats" are the only "attention getter" they have. Ryan Leaf had great stats...so did Steve McNair...where did that get em, at "the next level"? They weren't "ready...and, they will freely admit it.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Nobody outside of team and coaches has seen enough of these guys to make any judgements (other than Beck). All pure guesswork and speculation. If anything taken, sounds like all 3 are capable of doing good things.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

BigDawg, you hit the nail squarely on the head.....that's why IMO, we will see all three in 23 playing meaningful snaps. It will be a nightmare for opposing defenses to plan effectively for them all. Presently, the teams on our schedule are planning for Beck.....great pocket passer, limited scrambling ability....or so they think. Focus on the passer and you leave the running game door wide open....change the QB during the game and you confuse even the best players/OC's.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Murray, Greene, Zeier, Fromm, Bennett....the most important stats were not considered....leadership...did every TEAM mate believe in you, "you can't beat me" attitude, "I will resolve mistakes the next play by overachieving" athleticism...given those,

Stetson Bennett would be hands down the QB standard that beats all comers!

• Options

You're right about switching QBs mid-game. That's how Saban beat the Dawgs, in 2017 & 2018. Flip-flopping Tua and Hurts against UGA, proved to confuse Smart's defense. Saban knew, at the time, that defending the QB position was an area of weakness, for Kirby's defensive model. Switching between a mobile QB and a prolific passing QB, throws a "3 foot breaking ball" at the DC's head. Lol.

CKS knew it (QB Switch) was coming at halftime, in the 2017 CFPCG. He warned Mel Tucker at the half, that Saban was going to install Tua as the 2nd half QB.

It still seemed to catch the defense flat-footed. They did an outstanding job, of containing and taming Jalen Hurts, in the 1st half. But, Tua (and the Officials) gave BAMA new life, in the 2nd half, with his arm and UGA wasn't prepared for it.

There was a similar occurrence in the 2018 SECCG...against the same team...with the same 2 QBs involved. Those 2 games did more to mold CKS into the HC he is today, than anything else he's done, since he left BAMA for UGA. He won't be caught unprepared, again...IMO.

Just think...CKS played in 3 Championship games (1 CFPC, 2 SECC), in His first 2-3 years as HC...and "won" 1 SECC. Name one other HC that can make that claim...played for 2 SECC and 1 Natty, in their first 3 years as a Head Coach. I knew then...we're in for a helluva ride. Lol

I'm not saying, moving QBs around is a sound strategy...but, it is a viable option if the other team has your QB's number...AND, you have a competent backup with a different skillset.

Analogy......If we were discussing "Baseball"...It would be like putting in a "Change-up" or "Knuckle-ball" pitcher (Mobile QB), in the 6th inning to relieve a 99mph "fast-ball" pitcher (Passing QB). It completely throws off, the timing of the hitter (offense).