Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart takes action to ensure Georgia LBs Jamon Dumas-Johnson, Smael Mondon maintain elite edge

SystemSystem Posts: 10,484 admin
edited April 2023 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart takes action to ensure Georgia LBs Jamon Dumas-Johnson, Smael Mondon maintain elite edge

ATHENS — Kirby Smart called Georgia football linebackers Jamon Dumas-Johnson and Smael Mondon into his office earlier this spring and turned the tape on.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    87Dawg_1187Dawg_11 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭ Junior

I love it. He's got to demand the most from the most talented players to get the rest of the team to buy in. Mondon and Johnson set the tone for the defense, which sets the tone for the team. Complacency or intensity start at the top and KS is letting them know it's not acceptable. This a good lesson for the young men to learn especially after losing Nolan Smith, Chris Smith, Ringo and Beal from last years team. Those were leaders at each level of the defense and pushed each other and the rest of the team. This team is supremely talented but I don't know that they have the leadership at every level, yet.

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

At UGA, three people at one position will get snaps. You don't want a youngster taking more of your snaps because he outworked you.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@87Dawg_11 It really does explain a lot in that clubhouse!

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior

Thanks MG, this provides evidence of proof for the quality of your team stock reports. I had noticed that you had not mentioned the 2 LBs in your ratings recently. Goes to show there was something up there and I appreciate your reporting.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Great piece....this can be left out however....IMO

Dumas-Johnson’s offseason focus might also have been jolted by his arrest on racing and reckless driving charges from an incident in the days preceding the tragic death of recruiting staff Chandler LeCroy and teammate Devin Willock.

• Options

@truthteller I listen very closely to what Kirby says -- and what he doesn't say. Jamon Dumas-Johnson is the most important piece of this team and Kirby has to make sure he's in the right place after some of the things he got into in the offseason. It's real life, and those things do affect kids. Kirby knows how to manage players, and JDJ seems like he has his heart and mind in the right place.

• Options

@GBAL I understand, but it's part of what is going on, and these players are human. It's important perspective to know what Kirby and the staff are working with.

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Man, Kirby has mastered the essence of leadership and how to consistently improve on excellence. One of the toughest elements of leadership is how to stay on top and he is outstanding at this and it is even more impressive that he is successfully doing this with 18-21 year old young men. Outstanding and can’t wait for the next season but am still enjoying those double natties. Go DAWGS - great article MG.

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well-played, Coach!

Great article, Mike!

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BoydCrowderBoydCrowder Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ Junior

Looking forward to the day when Smart authors a leadership/management book.