Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia G-Day quick takes: Top Two QBs look the part, defense shaky

SystemSystem Posts: 10,556 admin
edited April 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia G-Day quick takes: Top Two QBs look the part, defense shaky

ATHENS — Carson Beck looked the part of starting quarterback at Georgia, but Brock Vandagriff was effective enough to leave room for speculation.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CDDawgsCDDawgs Posts: 57 ✭✭✭ Junior

There is no speculation based on today's game. Beck is light years ahead of the others. Vandagriff looks stiff, sucks at reads, and has a low release point. What scrimmage did you watch? Or are you just stirring the mud?

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Beck looked smooth. And Mekhi Mews is a baller! He’s got to see the field a lot this year. Reminds me of Deuce Vaughn, the K State running back. That joker is a baller too.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 200 ✭✭✭ Junior

Maybe instead of threepeat we need to be focused on showing up ready to play UT Martin & Ball State. A few bright spots but overall that was uninspired & by far the most difficult “G-Day” to watch in the Smart Era.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Beck looked good. Defense gave too much cushion to receivers. D-line wouldn't have held up if the ground game was prevalent. Not impressed with the D.

I know it's just a scrimmage, but I'd say we have lots to improve on with the defense.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@CDDawgs The same game as the head coach, who pointed out how many drops Vandagriff dealt with -- also, Vandagriff didn't get any snaps with Bowers on the field -- just saying, Carson looked better today, but Vandagriff showed some nice things with his mobility and throws off the run.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Low release point is a problem that needs to be looked at ASAP. Who is the QB coach? That takes at least 2 years of retraining footwork and release in position coaching.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

True take on the D. But they did tighten up considerably in the second half. I don’t know Why or How on a Kirby Smart team but it seemed Effort was the problem in the first half. But after a good paint peeling message in the locker room from KS the D did seem to improve. They’ll be ready by first game…….I hope.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was very impressed with M. Mews. Love his Effort and athleticism. And although I realize he’ll be buried on the depth chart, I loved the Effort and heart of Cash. He showed allot of courage and toughness, he’s a shifty little back to, with what looked to me quick acceleration. Wonder if he could be used in some manner this year ? He’s probably already on STs ? I like players where you can actually See the raw determination and Mews and Cash showed that. There were several others as well. I’m gonna have to rewatch my recording a couple times to get them all down. Also maybe this is Arian Smith’s break out year !!

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree. Beck is clearly the best of the 3. Gunner actually looked pretty good and if this was a 1 game performance I'm afraid BVG would be in 3rd place. I think after this game I wouldn't expect BVG to stick it out. He is probably better than both Auburn or Alabamas top 2 qbs. He is a starter somewhere else for sure. I hate to lose him but he would be crazy to stay here and miss a shot at the league.

Beck has clear command of this offense and it looks easy for him. His throws are within 3 seconds and zip to the wr quickly (something we havent' seen in a while) which is refreshing.

More concerned about the defense which kept giving up big chunk plays. Very little pressure on any of the qbs today. Defensive Line was getting handled most of the day.

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 395 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I agree 100%. I didn’t expect Brock’s mechanics to be so off. Holds ball too low then has to wine up to throw. Way too slow getting the pass off. He is athletic and can run, but he seemed confused much of the time. I thought Gunner showed promise and seemed to read the D better. Obviously Carson was by far the best.

• Options
  • Options

I was agreeing with CD Dawg.

• Options

It is only 1 game but not having a dominant DL changes everything. If our DL doesn't improve (now with Bear gone that does not help) it is going to be a long year. We need a couple guys on the DL to step up big come fall. I am very concerned about our defense. Not sure how someone said this might be our best defense in the last 3 years. We have a long ways to go on defense right now.

• Options
    CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

JT lit up our generational defense for over 300 yards in the 2021 G Day game. No worries about our defense. It doesn't look as impressive when you can't hit the QB but they had several sacks on the day

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No worries about our defense. It doesn't look as impressive when you can't hit the QB but they had several sacks on the day”

THIS^^^^^!!!!!

Go Dawgs! National Champs 1942,1980,2021,2022 and ????

• Options
    CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

What's your deal? It was a scrimmage. It's not like the defense was stunting and throwing exotic blitzes at the offense. I thought the defense proved a point in the second half after giving up some chunk plays in the first. The offense always looks better than the D in the spring

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2023

I think we all have to remember...for all intents and purposes...this is BVG's 1st year. Beck is obviously a year ahead of him after serving as Bennett's backup for 1 year. While Beck was "the backup" last year, he was also, considered "a backup" in his 2nd year (2021), when Daniels went down.

IMO, Beck has a ton of experience in comparison to BVG. Give Vandergriff a few months to study & critique this Springs film and make corrective actions. Come Fall...the REAL competition begins.

I think it will be a lot easier...or more likely...for BVG to close the distance between him and Beck, in the passing game. However...i don't think it's possible for Beck to overtake BVG in the scramble/run. With respect to running the ball, I gotta give it to BVG.

That being said...it's all based on a limited display of both player's skills.

If I'm Bobo.......the QB that knows the plays, displays good leadership skills, makes decisions that don't hurt the team's chances of winning, throws the ball accurately...to the right location, can run with the ball when required and doesn't turn it over...is my "starter".

But, before I make that decision, there are 2 characteristics that need to be defined. Which QB is most consistent?...and...which QB has the support of the team around him (chemistry)?

Personally...I haven't seen enough of any of the QBs to rule one out. The 1st month of the '23 season is going to be one of the most interesting, since Herschel Walker's 1st Season...or "The COVID Year". Lol...imagine how interesting the '24 Season is going to be.

UGA Fans & The Dawgs are being well rewarded for their 40 year walk in the desert. Great time to be a Dawg...ain't that right?...Bear Alexander. Lol

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's not even "a game". It may look like a game, smell like a game, sound like a game and feel like "a game"...but, not a game. As far as the guys on the field are concerned...it's a scrimmage. 'Cause that's how it's run by the coaches.

In "a game"...Winning is the objective. In a scrimmage, controlled by the coaches (always)...the objective is a little muddier than most Fans would know. Plays and player assignments are manipulated to get previously identified (by staff & players) and unidentified "weak areas" on film.

You don't need a scrimmage, to find out if a DL or DB can tackle or shed a block. There are other practice events, that do that just fine...and, have, for a hundred years.

This glorified scrimmage (G-Day, A-Day, etc.) is more, a display for Fans that foot-the-bill, than for competition. That "competition" occurs everytime they put on the pads.

For the QB position, there are other subtle competitions that determine the "starter". For example...Performance in meetings (football IQ), Leadership & consistency, punctuality, classroom performance, community involvement (leadership). Leadership is a not more, or less important...but, harder to define than skillset and athleticism. Only Bobo, is in position to make that call in the end.

That being said...I think Beck and Stockton are more, Bobo's style of QB. I'll be slightly surprised, if he goes with Vandergriff on the 1st snap of the 1st game; however, like I said...BVG can make up a lot of ground, between now and September. So...we'll see. Lol

• Options

First off, I think all 3 qbs are likely SEC starting qbs somewhere. Only 1 Ball.

Carson is the best right now and it wasn't close imo. Gunner and Beck were both good. I actually thought Gunner looked better in some respects (composure). Is it possible to like a player but be honest enough to admit that your guy is not the best in the competition? I was rooting for BVG to have the best day because I just generally like him and his family who are class people. Not that the others are not but I don't know them.

Regardless, BVG has a real decision to make and waiting behind Beck for 2 years would only leave him a year of eligibility with no guarantee of winning the job.

Seems like a no brainer decision to me if he has NFL aspirations. Injuries can happen so there is always that.