Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Bear Alexander transfer reinforces the biggest question facing Georgia’s defensive line

SystemSystem Posts: 10,665 admin
edited April 2023 in Article commenting
imageBear Alexander transfer reinforces the biggest question facing Georgia’s defensive line

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, and everything else UGA.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2023

Connor, I think that’s your best “Good Dawg of the day” tweet yet!

Hilarious!

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I hate to see Bear move on. I'm not hating on him but I believe he's making a mistake. Maybe he's looking for more short term NIL money I can only speculate. One thing I know is that if he stayed at UGA his potential would be fully developed, all one has to do is look at the past to see the future.

The benefits of sharing snaps; it saves wear and tear on the body, you become part of a brotherhood you take with you for the rest of your life AND you know you will compete at the highest level. Glad Amarius Mims figured it out, maybe Bear will....

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Here's an idea. If you utilize the strength of the team - the 3 interior OL + Mims - to run the football, you can take time off the clock and reduce turnovers. Folks deride that as "3 yards and a cloud of dust" but UGA will have 5 guys who will play in the NFL (as many as 4 of them as early as next year) blocking for 4 and 5 star tailbacks against defenses who are mostly playing undersized 3 man fronts that are going to be preoccupied with Brock Bowers. So it will be a lot closer to 7 yards per carry than 3. Make no mistake: UGA can still score a lot of points that way, just like they did in 2012 when only the failure of the defense to get one stop against Alabama prevented them from winning a national title.

What does that have to do with the defensive line? Simple: they are on the field a lot less. Meaning that when they do get into the game, they are fresh and only have to focus on a limited number of plays. That will help both the upperclassmen that don't have 1st round ability and the underclassmen who haven't had the 3 years of position coaching and physical development needed to become stars in Kirby's scheme to be more effective. Yes, it does work. An INT by Fromm (yes the ball got tipped, but because Fromm let his mechanics get wonky on the throw) is all that kept UGA from winning the 2017 national title. And that team had WAY less talent at DL (and LB and DB) than this unit does: they were consistently able to stop the run and get to the passer. They actually had more sacks than last year's unit with Jalen Carter.

There are tons of ways to skin a cat. UGA doesn't have to use the 2022 strategy to win a title in 2023 any more than they needed the 2021 strategy to win it in 2022.

• Options
    mlm1947mlm1947 Posts: 20 ✭✭ Sophomore

If my wife told me “It’s over, I want out!” what would I do? … I would not argue, I would not ask her ‘why’ questions, I would tell her “okay”, that I will not attempt to stop her … that I hope she will find happiness … that I will not fight a divorce….

Moral: I do not want to live with someone who does not want to live with me!

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Geez Connor, do you think we should even play in 23....Bear hit the TP, Oh my, what will we do???? Instead of writing an "all is lost" article, why not state the reason Bear left.....IMHO, he simply saw the competition coming up and either didn't want to work that hard keep his place or either knew he couldn't win out. Since his recruitment, I've had the opinion that he was a "me first" guy but I was hoping that being surrounded by a TEAM culture, he'd adapt....apparently not. Maybe he'll go to USC, be the star in a competitive field that will be a sleep walk for him....I wish him only the best

Connor, tell me I'm dreaming.....but do we not have the talent on the offensive line that rivals past years and has the absolute possibility to be the best in Georgia history???? THAT'S WHAT I'M SEEING.....GO DAWGS, SICEM!

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Connor, you seem to be stuck on "what's his name". He's gone and we are better for it. And, the main reason is that "what's his name" is stuck on self. He's not a team player. He'll get more playing time elsewhere, but he'll never get any better, because he won't practice discipline nor get the coaching he got at Georgia.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't think you see, or need to see. much of a variation from the Monken O we saw the last 2 years. The '23 OL is good and deep. But so is the WR group. The RB's? Not so much. You have 5 RB's. 1 is injury prone and 1 is coming off serious injury. 3 are young/inexperienced. Why run that group into the ground when you have an OL that can protect, a QB that looks good and a good WR group?

Make no mistake, CKS wants an O that can force its will on a D, dominate running and passing and be able to run out the clock. That is what UGA has been the last 2 years. But that doesn't mean you need to limit the O.

You may actually see MORE passing this year. With Beck you don't have much ability to move the chains with the QB running. Will you see less RPO? There is NO experience behind Beck. This is a contending team that cannot risk Beck getting hurt. The QB will run less than last year.

Clock management is important. You may see the O start slowly while Beck gains experience AND the trust of the coaches. That's CKS's style. But in the end UGA is shorthanded at RB and CKS needs to show WR's and Raiola a reason to come to UGA.

As for the OL, I will go out on a limb and say that SVPG and Mims will be the only guys that go NFL after '23. The rest would benefit greatly by coming back and showing out. Every season some UGA upperclassmen have come back to improve their game/draft stock. We saw it this year w/the DL. Makes sense for Ratledge, Truss, Blaske, to come back in '24.

As for the '23 DL, I count 11 players that can play a role and contribute while improving. As CKS said he will (need to) do more with his LB's to manufacture pass rush. But if he can do that this D will be dangerous by year end.

• Options
    BogartDawgBogartDawg Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman

I don’t believe that Bear is leaving for NIL or more playing time elsewhere. I have heard from someone with a press pass and from another person who works in Butts-Mehr that he’s leaving for another reason entirely