Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia offensive lineman Griffin Scroggs enters NCAA transfer portal

SystemSystem Posts: 11,081 admin
edited April 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia offensive lineman Griffin Scroggs enters NCAA transfer portal

Georgia offensive lineman Griffin Scroggs entered the NCAA transfer portal in search of a more promising opportunity for playing time.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Best wishes to the young man.

• jvillebiljvillebil Posts: 174 ✭✭✭ Junior

Next man up. Just keep reloading. Everyone isn't going to see the playing time at the top program in college football so transferring will become the normality.

• thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Maybe he will go to Georgia Tech after all and wind up with degrees at both schools.

@UGADad20

CKS taking in a bunch of lower ranked OL prospects is smart (pun not intended). They are an excellent insurance policy if your blue chip OL recruits don't pan out, and some of them can even move to defense if necessary (though that is more so if a team plays a 4-3 defense instead of UGA's 3-4). Most schools use all their extra scholarships on skill players and wind up not having enough OLs to block for them. But the funny thing: if you have an OL that is 2 deep with guys who are at least solid college players at every position, that allows guys who aren't necessarily great skill players to contribute. Your 3 star tailbacks can get 4 yards per carry because there are always holes for him to run through, and your 3 star WRs can get open because the OL gives the QB an extra second in the pocket. Amazing that so many coaches have forgotten that but Kirby isn't one of them.

• WCHWCH Posts: 489 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Kirby says "it's the climate that we're in and we’ll do the best we can to capitalize on it.”. We aren't working on our third national championship in a row, because Kirby's in the dark. A farmer might say "It's like pulling weeds out of your garden.".

• BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@thadec having an abundance of quality OL also allows for the scout team to better simulate opposing teams AND it allows the “3’s” more practice reps so they are more prepared earlier.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Best of luck to you! I hope you find a good fit.

• TrippTripp Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Probably a mutually beneficial move for both Georgia and Griffin.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I honestly had never heard of this dude. Like ALL the other transfers, though, I wish him well. Go Dawgs!

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby said the Dawgs have enough linemen to field 2 to 2.5 teams in any given year....giving the QBs valuable extra reps...twice as many, to be exact. This year they can support 2 teams.

That's why you sign good football players across the spectrum...no matter how many "stars" follow their name or thick the highlight reel is. Some of the guys that are there now, may only see the field in a backup or mop-up role as a reward for playing well on the "Scout Team"....like Rudy. Lol Only...UGA has a lot of Rudy's to help the Herschell Walker's and Trevon Walker's on the team.

Everybody benefits...everybody develops in CKS's Program. This kid served his role...got better and stronger and smarter. Now, he gets his reward. He won't make the Dawgs "starting roster"...ever. but, he's ready to play some grown-man football...somewhere....because of Kirby Smart.

I'm a Griffin Scroggs Fan, going forward. He served his purpose for UGA. That's all you can ask. I hope he goes-on, and over-achieves somewhere in the CFB and NFL World. Him...and every player on that team that serves as a blocking or tackling dummy, deserves to play the game somewhere before they lose eligibility. IMO

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2023

I think you identified the one quality a head coach MUST embrace..."being a teacher". Teaching and reinforcing "The Basics"... blocking, tackling, taking a hand off, catching a pass correctly, carry the ball in the arm closest to the sideline, get off the ball on the snap, etc..

I think Smart and Saban read Vince Lombardi's "How to be a Head Coach for Dummies" book. Makes you wonder why more HC's don't adhere more to those standards. I've seen some of the WORST tackling I've ever seen from the College ranks over the last several years...except from certain teams, UGA being one of them.

It's a simple thing..."tackling". But, it takes practice to maintain proficiency. "Angle of pursuit" is one of the biggest failures I've seen from various teams not named UGA. The Dawgs do an outstanding job of anticipating the play, taking the proper angle and locking up the runner...but, not over-pursuing. Above all...They maintain assignment integrity. THAT'S COACHING!

If you can provide that level of training to arguably the best Football Players and athletes in the Country...and have them buy-in, meaning, "the kids are Coachable"...then you've got something. Like Junkyard Dawgs. Lol

It's not easy to get a kid that thinks "he knows everything", to trust you when you tell him "he has a lot to learn". And, he has to trust you to teach him the correct way of doing things...which will make them better players and improve the effectiveness of "The Team". There's an art to what Coaches like Smart and Saban do, to give their "Team" and players an edge. Much respect to em.