Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia provides updates on repairs to Stegeman Coliseum

SystemSystem Posts: 10,556 admin
edited April 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia provides updates on repairs to Stegeman Coliseum

ATHENS — Georgia athletic director Josh Brooks provided an update on the status of Stegeman Coliseum on Thursday. The building, which houses Georgia’s men’s basketball, women’s basketball, gymnastics and volleyball teams, has been closed since March 2 after spalled concrete from the ceiling was found on the floor.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    NCMtnDawgNCMtnDawg Posts: 39 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

" Per the review, there is the belief that a major failure or collapse of the roof WILL happen. Repairs will be limited to concrete cracks and spalls at joints between precast elements. "

Seriously, did I read that right? Sounds like a major accident waiting to happen even with the minor repairs. I think we need a new arena.

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

To plagiarize the Atlanta sports talk guys, having a patched up coliseum has got to be a major advantage to recruiting basketball players.

• Options
    Bulldawg90Bulldawg90 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Steg is literally falling apart.

• Options
    rtparkerivrtparkeriv Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior

I am sure our competition wouldn't try to use this to recruit against us.

• Options
    BarkingDawgBarkingDawg Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The reputation of Stegeman is so bad no amount of improvements will change perceptions. They should demolish and bulldoze it and expand football facilities on the site. Then the BB and Gymnastics facilities could be modernized and relocated to the Ramsey Center area or elsewhere downtown

• Options
    BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 200 ✭✭✭ Junior

The Steg is just a 60 yr old building, designed in a previous century, a modern high decibel sound system, a crumbling roof, in a warm, damp, climate where over the decades, concrete tends to decay. What could possibly go wrong if we ever get 9500 people in the stands again? Let’s just put another band aide on the problem and see if we can squeeze another 10 years out of this old pig! The place was ****, old & outdated when I was in school watching the “human highlight film” play in the early 80’s. I’ve definitely been to my last event in the old gal. With this story now out, I’m sure the parents of recruits with visions of the NBA dancing in their dreams are lining up to let their kids play in a crumbling dump of a venue. Hell the Hawks are in their 3rd or 4th arena, so many I’ve lost count, in the time the Steg has been on the south side of campus.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 756 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I didnt read that anywhere. "Per the review, there is the no belief that a major failure or collapse of the roof will happen." What I read.

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited April 2023

To all those, who have been blinded by nostalgia, I've been saying for a few years, that the steg has outlived it's usefulness. UGA will never have a top tiered Bball team, as long as games are held in a crumbling 60 year old venue. It's way past time to say goodbye to the Steg and build Durham-Landers Center. I have seen many games/meets and events at the steg. Participated in and judged dozens of science fairs. (I'm a Greek, yes). But I have been inside, for the last time. I won't get within 50 feet of the Steg. Too worried it will have, what Elon Musk refers to as an "unscheduled disassembly".