Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Undefined discussion subject.

SystemSystem Posts: 10,480 admin
edited April 2023 in Article commenting
Undefined discussion subject.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We'll know more about Bobo and how the offense will evolve after this season. Pure speculation until we see it. I was hesitant about Bobo at first, but I have come to realize he is a different coach now than when he was previously with the Dawgs. And Monken heaped a lot of praise on Bobo's play calling in the playoffs and Championship game. Monken always told it like it was and would never sugarcoat anything, so I don't think he was blowing smoke just to make Bobo look better.

Concerning players transferring and the NIL debate...I think it's got its pros and cons, but with all the practice and time these players put in to playing football in college, I do not blame them one bit for wanting as much playing time as possible - even if they don't end up in the NFL. These players love the game, and the best way to enjoy it is on the field - not sitting on the bench. I do also think the portal can help elevate and bring better parity to the game, but I'm not naive enough to think it is a cure-all for making the field equal for most of teams. There will probably always be an elite tier of teams, but maybe the portal can at least add more teams to that mix and narrow the gap between the first and 2nd tier. If it does then it will definitely make the playoffs more interesting and dynamic. Nobody wants to see the same teams in the playoffs every year.

Concerning the new rules...I like them. It may only take off 8-10 plays per game and decrease the time by 15-20 minutes, but I think when you look at the expanded playoffs and the potential for having to play as many as 17 football games in a season, then I think it makes sense - just considering wear and tear of players. I think it will also require coaches to make different kind of adjustments.

• Options
    ItchyZItchyZ Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

The comment about kickers reminded me of what I used to say about their importance. A lot is said about their overall contribution not being all that sexy, so to speak. But the fact is : Kickers. Win. Games. So I'm all for recruiting the absolute best we can get.

• Options
    johnchappelljohnchappell Posts: 66 ✭✭✭ Junior

Hey Bill. Remember going to games in Sanford Stadium back in the 70s before everyone was on tv? No tv timeouts and lots of running plays. Those games finished fast!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bobo is here to stay. He tried his hand at HC, didn't really succeed and probably isn't going to be in high demand for NFL jobs. He should be a long term success for and with us.

I personally think the Transfer Portal is for the best. The Justin Fields situation was the definition of F'ed up. A guy from the state of GA gets playing time as a Freshman and wants to go to Ohio State. Racism card played. High Priced Lawyers. He got to play immediately but others didn't even with good reason? It had to end. It was either corrupt, political and/or incompetent.

Also remember that scholarship limits apply so it lets those that aren't Top Tier players get off our limit and get to play for a lower level team. Win/Win. Remember that it's a big jump from HS to playing at Georgia's level. Some 5 star players are shown to be not there while other 3 Star players are shown to be wildly under rated.

Give those unique situations like Gilbert a chance to find his place and do what he needs to do.

Toxic players corrupt teams and teamwork and Football is a very Team oriented sport. Emotions play a much bigger role than people give credit for. If players don't want to be at Georgia then we REALLY don't want them on our team.

Just remember that it works both ways and Smart has his pick of whatever he needs. There's no shortage of players wanting to play for the defending 2x National Champs.

• Options
    bobcdawgbobcdawg Posts: 64 ✭✭ Sophomore

TV is the cause of long games and they do feel too long when you're in the stadium and it stretches to and past 3:30 hours, CBS games especially! It used to be some games were not televised and those were noticeably faster/shorter due to lack of commercials (still some for radio but not as long). 15 to 20 minutes per game over a season makes a significant difference. I wish they could also limit commercial length or frequency, especially when they occur mid game and within a few plays of each other (for example after a punt followed by a change of possession). I do like that they have the timer running on the field to let you know how long you have to wait but it still seems long at times. When I'm home watching on TV, the breaks are fine, as you noted.