Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Bear Alexander announces transfer to USC

SystemSystem Posts: 10,473 admin
edited April 2023 in Article commenting
imageBear Alexander announces transfer to USC

It did not take Bear Alexander a long time to find a new home, as the former Georgia defensive tackle announced his transfer to USC on Sunday night.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 935 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2023

I am so relieved.....I am sure that Oski the bear, Harry the husky, Sparky the sun devil, Benny the beaver, Wilbur the wildcat, Butch the cougar, Swoop the hawk, Ralphie the buffalo, Puddles the duck, and Tommy the trojan all welcome the biggest "ME" Bear in the PAC 12 forest....Happy hunting Bear!........OMG....how could I have left out Stanford the tree???......can't have a forest without a tree!

• Options
    NorthHallDawgNorthHallDawg Posts: 82 ✭✭✭ Junior

Good luck with that... He will not be developed like he would have been at Georgia. But, we need TEAM players here and not ME players. It seems that Bear was the latter. Like someone said: he'll probably flourish in the weak Pac 12; who, if two more teams leave, will likely fold.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As a human being I hope he finds the support he is looking for and develops as a person and a football player. I cannot really get upset with a 19 year old. I'm more upset with the coaches who up and leave their teams or embarrass them (thinking of Freeze, Petrino, Lane, etc.).

The good news is the other guys must have been good enough for Bear to be concerned about his playing time or he really is all about the money as mentioned and then we don't want those type of players around. I think it may have been a little of both.

So good luck to the Bear. Let's hope incoming recruits realize you have to work at Georgia to be the man and nothing is just given to you because you were a high 5 star. I thought this lesson was learned with Fields and Bennett but apparently not.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA needs bought in team payers at this juncture. Bear was not.

• Options
    CharlestonDawgFanCharlestonDawgFan Posts: 86 ✭✭✭ Junior

I was assuming he was taking on a MUCH larger role this year based on his playoff performance. If this talented of a kid decided to transfer, I can only think that means he thought he was up against better talent and therefore I can’t wait to see what we have in store next year. Good luck to the kid (that’s what he is), but more importantly, Go Dawgs!

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Money talks louder than anything to some. Good luck to him. I am sure he will be very happy in some aspects, but likely have some regrets in others.

Best case scenario for me is UGA/USC meet in the playoffs and USC is quickly shown that they cannot simply "buy" a better defense and expect to beat UGA. Maybe they win their conference though.

Maybe.

• Options
    jvillebiljvillebil Posts: 166 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In a day when coaches must constantly recruit their own players, there remains only one way to get playing time under Kirby Smart…earn it! No playing time handouts, no playing time entitlements. Just old fashioned hard work and treating every practice rep like your career depends on it…because it does!

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I wish the young man well, but not really concerned about his loss. Despite his measurables, he always struck me as undersized. Maybe it’s because he played smaller than his 300 lb frame?

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If you want to be the best, play the best. The PAC 12 isn’t in that group. 19 year olds make bad decisions. This is a very bad decision. On the other hand, it may have removed a problem from our roster. In that respect, it’s may be a great decision.

At the same time, I admit to feeling bad for the Bear. He’s a kid. He needed good advice and obviously either didn’t get any or, if he did, didn’t listen.

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hard work and preparation equal good luck, to those who wish Bear good luck; he won't have to work as hard in the Pac 12 but he will never be an SEC All American. Truly his loss in the big picture....

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

The comments here are hilarious. Aesop wrote a fable about it, in which a fox who can’t reach a vine of grapes just knows they must be sour.

I was disappointed when I heard Bear entered the portal. Admit it, you were too.

• Options
    BogartDawgBogartDawg Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman

Why does everyone just assume he’s leaving because he doesn’t want to “work” hard, or that he wants more NIL?

Maybe he had some other type of attitude problem and was confronted by a team leader about it, and maybe he and that player came to blows, and maybe that altercation exacerbated his bad attitude, and maybe the coaches were ok with him leaving as a result.

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Wow. Not anything even remotely said about that. Comment should be removed from this article.

Anyways. Like someone else stated, he may have removed a problem from the roster. Just goes back to what Kirby said about the greener pastures. Just looks like the other transfer USC magically pulled off last year with the WR.

This discussion has been closed.