Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Two Georgia QBs among Top 20 Heisman favorites, oddsmakers confident in Mike Bobo

SystemSystem Posts: 10,992 admin
edited May 2023 in Article commenting
imageTwo Georgia QBs among Top 20 Heisman favorites, oddsmakers confident in Mike Bobo

ATHENS — There remain some lingering doubts among a handful of Georgia fans about new offensive coordinator Mike Bobo, but oddsmakers appear all in on the Bulldogs offense.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, good for them!

Go Dawgs!

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I get the Beck thing, just not Brock. What's he played about 5 snaps in a real game?

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2023

I believe Bobo created a package for both QBs...and, that's why BVG stayed. This might be a two QB system until one of them takes it over. That could be in the first game...or, it could be in the fifth. No big hurry. Lol

IMO, the running back position will be THE area of concern, on offense. For the first time since I can remember UGA's going into a season without a solid featured RB. That's unlike RBU. All of the backs are talented, obviously...but, the ones with experience have also been injured...with exception of Robinson, maybe.

The point is...with the RB room being what it is...I think Bobo is looking at running a "real" air-raid style offense. With the QB giving them an additional run option to help take the load off the RB in the ground game.

BVG can do that...AND hit the "60-70 yd" home run throw...IF he can develop a connection with some of the receivers during OTA's over the summer. It was clear, during the G-Day game that timing between the Receivers and QBs is something all 3 QBs need to work on. But, none more than BVG.

On the flip side...the Dawgs have a great offensive line. Bobo could rely on Beck sitting in a nice clean pocket and picking the other team apart, lessening the need for a running game.

Either way...the real battle and decision won't be fought or made...until Fall camp, when all the backs are healthy and Bobo has chance to see what kind of running game he's gonna have and the QB-to-WR chemistry.

IMO...if you want to boil it down to one thing...one word that's gonna determine who the quarterback is...it's "leadership". Which QB do the WRs...and, by extension...the team, respond to?.

I can tell you this...the battle for QB has only just begun. May the best man win. Go git em boys.

• thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The guy who should have won the Heisman last year was Michael Penix but folks were invested in the "Lincoln Riley is an outstanding coach who will return USC to greatness!" narrative ... and wound up giving the Heisman to a guy who lose the Rose Bowl to Tulane.

This year, other than Carson Beck of course, the guy to look out for is Sam Hartman at Notre Dame. I still can't believe that JT Daniels turned down the Irish last year, as their head coach practically rolled out the red carpet for him while he was in the portal. At Notre Dame he has a great OL and supporting cast, leads the Irish to an upset over Ohio State and to the playoff (where they of course get hammered by UGA in the 1st round) and is then able to enter the draft. Instead he goes to a terrible West Virginia team, takes a beating all year and whatever pro prospects he has are toast (this season he plays at Rice, his 4th school in 6 years, and they went 5-8 in C-USA last year).

• JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 374 ✭✭✭ Junior

Well there was also the issue of Carson Beck's high school football coach leaking to the press that Beck was going to be the starter against UAB, after Beck was specifically instructed not to tell anyone but his parents. That pissed Kirby off when the news was splashed all over the pro-UGA websites. So instead, to prove the rumors wrong, Kirby started Stetson and the rest (as they say) was history...

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2023

Lol...sorry...I can't bring myself to buy that. Especially after reading an interview with Kirby after the 2021 season, where he stated that going into the 2021 season...the coaching staff was split on which QB gave them the best chance against ALL of the teams on their schedule. Daniels or Bennett. Beck wasn't in the conversation the week before the Clemson game.

He didn't say whether it was Monkin or Himself, that made the final decision, but, they wound up going with the "experience" (Daniels). Smart knew what he had on defense and knew they could beat Clemson without scoring a lot of points.

They thought Daniels gave them a better chance against the Tigers and would protect the ball. At that point...much like this coming season, they still weren't all-in on either QB.

I can tell you one thing...DawgNation correspondents were and are saying that Beck was the "starter" going into the UAB week of practice, and was replaced by Bennett after Mondays shorts and helmets practice. That's the most absurd thing i've ever heard. THAT doesn't happen.

Does anybody really believe that Monkin and Smart were going to turn the keys over to an inexperienced Sophmore that was ranked 236 out of 300 and the #14 QB in his recruiting class. Virtually a carbon copy of Daniels without the fanfare and experience. C'mon....Lol.

I can assure you, they knew what Bennett and Beck could do with the offense long before the UAB Game. And, the decision to start Bennett...didn't "just happen" on the Monday of UAB Week. If it did...that's borderline malpractice. Fall Camp determines who "the next man up" is gonna be, early in the season...NOT a light practice in shorts & helmets. Lol

If you'll remember...CKS "never" submitted a depth chart prior to the 2021 season...despite being asked at EVERY news conference.

The "media" speculated, as they often tend to do these days, that the depth chart was Daniels, Beck, Bennett, and presented their "speculation" as "FACT". But, that was never confirmed by ANYBODY on the Bulldog coaching staff. I also believe one of the reasons they went with Daniels against Clemson, is that Kirby presented him at SEC Media Days as "The QB".

That's something I don't think he'll ever do again. It kinda locked him in, to starting Daniels (barring injury) in the 1st game of the season. We'll see, this July. The situation going into 2023, is very similar to the 2021 preseason. So, if he trots Beck out there at "SEC Media Days"...then, that's who'll start the first game. If not...Lol...it could be any of the 3.

So, IF Kirby was pissed...it was because, it wasn't true and it was "one more BS thing" he was going have to deal with throughout the season. DISTRACTION.

Bennett...a smaller, non-prototype walk-on QB...with a sixth sense in the pocket. Good instincts, pocket presence and vision and an adequate, but, accurate arm. Basically, everything you look for in an air-raid style QB.

OR

Daniels....more of the prototype pro-style, pocket-passer with below average "pocket presence" and a strong, accurate arm. High football IQ. Great leader. Dependable, experienced starter for USC.

The fact that UGA had a strong defense and injuries at the WR/TE position, with 2 Rookies (Bowers & McConkey) holding down the fort...helped determine the starting QB. IMO Daniels was the "safe" choice...otherwise, it could've, very well been, Stetson Bennett starting that first game of 2021.

• BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Beck may win the Heisman if he can stay healthy and win the SECCG. Our offensive numbers this year will be absurd. Good thing they changed the rules around first downs with the clock otherwise we might score a hundred against some of these teams.