Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia wide receiver De’Nylon Morrissette arrested on multiple driving related charges

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited May 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia wide receiver De’Nylon Morrissette arrested on multiple driving related charges

Georgia wide receiver De’Nylon Morrissette was arrested on Monday morning in Oconee County, Ga. Morrissette was charged with a DUI — driving under the influence of drugs —, driving too fast for conditions, following too closely and Class D license restrictions.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 358 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don't understand why these kids keep getting in trouble. I feel like we are back in the RIcht days.

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited May 2023

I have a feeling that he may be the example needed to get the attention of the players. It would not surprise me to see him removed from the roster.

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Totally with you on this one. One could argue that some of these earlier infractions were before these issues were widespread and/or new-to-the-team, but not now. Further, to my recollection this is the first driving under the influence of drugs (excluding alcohol... no better, admittedly), of which I'm aware, in a long time... maybe ever?

My "Spidey sense" says De'Nylon is ripe for "making an example"... I'd be hard-pressed to disagree 😡

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2023

It all goes back, to keeping kids out of school for a year or 2 during the big "Cold" Pandemic. Our society is imitating it's art-form. We truly have an "Idiocracy", now. And, the kids will be paying the price for some of the "dumbass" decisions our so-called leaders made during that time frame...in the name of "politics"...not, public health.

Oh well...UGA always weeds a few out, after Spring. Some guys can't take the pressure. That's not a knock on them. The pressure is maximum in Athens. They can go to another program...and it would be like a vacation compared to what Kirby puts em through.

It's not "over" for Morrissette...he's still young and is in the best place possible, to clean it up. He may make us proud someday.

Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

A DUI at 10 AM!?! That was some party, if is still drunk at !0 AM. Kirby will probably sacrifice him to show he's serious.

• Options
    ChiefChief Posts: 57 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited May 2023

Much too bad! The leadership, Captains, need to have an off the record team meeting or two. I have a lot of respect for Van Pran, Milton, Bowers and the other peer leaders and figure they could be assets in this type of need for providing 'guidance ' Drive home some points..

It's a shame for Smart to have to gain more depth to cover for mistakes of some irresponsibles.

• Options

I was thinking the same thing....especially, with drugs being involved.

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Reading through the comments it's all been said. I trust CKS will do the right thing for the "player", note I didn't call him a kid, he's a young man, the team, and the university. Sad that this stuff keeps happening, it's so engrained in society, good luck to the young man....

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My dad said the same thing..you got yourself into it, you get yourself out of it.. And not once did I call him when I was younger, less wiser and ended up in trouble 😆

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Drunk on Monday morning??? Kid that kid some help!

• Options
    saldivensaldiven Posts: 57 ✭✭✭ Junior

If the only derogatory news coming out of the program are traffic related arrests, they're doing something pretty good over there. Like, other schools are having players arrested for child p*rn (UF), trafficking drugs (Alabama), r*pe and violent assault (Iowa State), illegal weapons (LSU), murder (McMurry U), etc.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2023

My 1st thought was "well there's the last scholarship needed to get down to 85". I am 100% for getting tough on real criminals. SOMETHING significant is needed as a deterrent to the rampant crime going on now all across our country.

But I don't think CKS will kick a player off just to make an example. Kicking #23 off doesn't help to solve the young man's problem. It just passes the problem on. I think Kirby is a fair man who is focused on player development on and off the field.

One thing is clear. UGA is getting a lot more bad pub for off field discretions than for winning back to back championships! Obviously, what UGA has been doing is not working. It may cost them Sammy Brown. He mentioned his parents were split on where they want him to go. After these repeated problems, his mother probably wants him to go play for Saint Dabo. In any event, it is a very bad look for the UGA program.

I expect that if #23 wants to stay on the UGA team he will be doing a lot more training things and educational things. So many he might not have time to sleep. But enough to make him think that maybe he'll need to be smarter in the future. There is more than 1 way to teach a lesson.

The whole "DUI" question has not been answered scientifically yet regarding marijuana. It has been proven that ingesting an amount of alcohol impairs one's motor skills, negatively impacting one's ability to operate a motor vehicle.

The limit of alcohol in the system for legal operation of a motor vehicle is 0.0799. That means that you can drink up to that point and be "legal". There has been nothing like that done to determine when someone smoking is "impaired". Zero tolerance is not the standard for alcohol. Seems arbitrary. Surprising it has not been legally challenged to date. I have not heard of any means used by law enforcement that accurately measures THC in the bloodstream. Under the influence is only applied to marijuana. Not applied to other pharmaceuticals that may impact motor skills more than marijuana.

Morrissette may be better off transferring to Colorado.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UGADad20, I take your point about fairness. But you've got to start somewhere. Maybe, Kirby ought to tighten up on this stuff so that there's less tolerance now than there was in January.

At the same time, I do wonder whether we'd all be so quick to say buh-buh if one of our stars got into trouble. I don't remember anyone calling for JDJ to be kicked off the team when his racing arrest was revealed in February (although, admittedly, his arrest actually preceded the fatal crash).

• Options
    edited May 2023

Just a little FYI to everybody...the definition of "kid", is... a child or young person.

I'd say, 20 years old fits the definition of young person or young man. Right? I think Billy The Kid was about his age. Lol

Or...maybe you're just callin' the guy a goat. Lol...whatever.

@navydawg ....Lol...my Dear ol' Dad told me, that "a hard head, makes for a soft azz".

You know...I'm sure Morrissette had family in his ear feedin' him nuggets of wisdom, all his life, too...else...Kirby Smart would not have recruited him.

IMO...it was just a bump in the road, for this "young man". He will hopefully learn from it, and move on..."differently". Some of us can't be told...we have to see it for ourselves.

It's not the ones you see screwing-up, that you have to worry about...it's the ones, you don't see. Lol These "kids", today...with all the "electronic communications & surveillance" equipment available to them...have flat out, gotten better at hiding their shenanigans from their parents. Lol...they're waaaay ahead of the game. I wouldn't want to be a parent in these times.

Lol...just "kidding"...sort of.

• Options

IMO...I don't think any of us are in a position to sit in judgment of this "young man". We don't have ANY of the variables...or facts. Just charges...and, we all know how unreliable that has become. We don't know him, his family, how the team responds to him and supports him...is it a "one off" or is there history of similar infractions...etc..

We can't just put him in a pile with current and former rule breakers. This is HIS 1st infraction...of any kind, for all we know. My reflex was similar to everybody elses...but, after watching the News...wisdom got the better of me. Lol