Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart declining White House visit predictable and practical but not political

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited May 2023 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart declining White House visit predictable and practical but not political

ATHENS — Georgia coach Kirby Smart is about as predictable as they come when it comes to anticipating his stance on football issues.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    StiffneckStiffneck Posts: 82 ✭✭✭ Junior

Off topic but why isn't there anything on this?

Jalen Carter, recently selected with the Philadelphia Eagles' No. 9 pick in the NFL Draft, is now named in a $40 million lawsuit related to his involvement in a deadly car crash that killed his Georgia teammate Devin Willock and university staffer Chandler LeCroy.

Dave Willock Sr., Devin's father, filed the complaint against Carter, the university's athletic association and LeCroy's estate. LeCroy was driving the SUV Willock was in at the time of the crash — which police said reached up to 104 mph. Police also reported the 24-year-old LeCroy had a blood alcohol concentration of .197, more than twice the legal limit in Georgia.

The suit is seeking $40 million from the defendants, including $10 million from Carter. The amount "represents what his son would have made if he had gotten to the NFL," according to a report from WSB-TV. Willock, an offensive lineman, appeared in every game Georgia played last season.

• Options
    DawgCity85DawgCity85 Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

This is such a joke of an opinion piece by Mike trying to back this terrible administration. Every national champion gets an invitation to the White House immediately or soon after winning the title. Anyone with a good feel for this program knows that CKS purposely declined the invite because it came 5 months after winning the national championship.

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited May 2023

Sooooo true. The real question I've never heard asked, much less answered, in the major media outlets (maybe it's out there and I just missed): what is the "why?" of the delayed invite? It seems unprecedented vs the years in which NCAAF teams were invited for the invitation itself to come four months later. Why wasn't it within days?

Maybe it was the accident? Even then, you'd think a team tragedy would be even more reason to honor those who remain and remember those two lost...

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Definitely with you on in the “don’t go”… as soon as I heard a June date? Crazy. It’s like they don’t even understand college football (or even college). Certainly, after graduation is just ludicrous. Agree with another poster that it seems like maybe they never wanted them to come in the first place. Super odd…

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I can totally see Smart nixing the trip for practical reasons. His staff is scattered to the four winds, working on the future of the Dawgs. A big batch of the players who won the Natty have moved on. His returning players are likely scattered during the bit of down time.

It might have worked if they'd been asked for the foto op in January. But even then, we heard Smart talk about getting back into it after a few days of R&R.

• Options
    MantiTeosGirlfriendMantiTeosGirlfriend Posts: 10 ✭ Freshman

Georgia was a blue state in the last presidential election. The President has no reason to have any ill will towards our great state or its collegiate programs. It was just a scheduling conflict.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Oldddawg76

No, trips to the White House play excellent on the recruiting trail. It is a commercial for your program. So yes, had the White House made the invite in a timely fashion, or even tried to get them up there before spring practice, then you had better believe the sports information department would have done a supercut of the event to show to Dylan Raiola and the other recruits, just as Clemson, Alabama etc. did with their visits. It is just that taking the trip in the middle of June when Stetson Bennett IV - the biggest star on the team - is among the dozen guys trying to earn an NFL roster spot (Warren Ericson's attempt to earn a spot on the Broncos' practice squad starts today) makes no sense. It also makes no sense to make the trip either without AD Mitchell - whom UGA absolutely needed to win the title - or with him as Mitchell is now at Texas and hoping to make the playoff and beat UGA in it (the same is true to varying extents for Bear Alexander, Dom Blaylock and a bunch of other guys, as well as some guys that UGA will have to cut loose by June in order to get down to 85).

Now to be 100% fair, Clemson chose to visit in mid-June way back in 2016. But there was a legitimate excuse: in January/February the Obama administration was clearing out, the Trump administration was coming in and yes the transition was total chaos - again not getting political just stating facts - but that isn't what was going on here. In 2021 the Biden administration used the pandemic as an excuse not to invite Alabama, even though those same coaches and athletes had played an entire football season with no major outbreaks (despite claims of mass deaths and calamity from everyone over the decision to have the season). In 2022 the same excuse was given not to invite UGA even though the administration declared the pandemic crisis to be over way back in September, 4 months prior. This time there was no excuse: no transition, no re-election campaign, no government shutdown, no war etc. It really just seems that they were flat out determined to break the tradition of inviting the championship football team to the White House. If that is their goal, fine. I have read a number of oped columnists and sportswriters claim that the tradition of inviting championship sports teams to the White House is a rather recent one that needs to end for a variety of reasons. They need to come out and say it and to say why.

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 218 ✭✭✭ Junior

Guarantee you that Kirby uses their late invitation as an anecdote about being disrespected in order to rally the team.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah...I thought so, too. But, remember it was his political party that pushed to get the "MLB All Star Game" moved out of our State..."because of our "racist Election Laws". He was lucky in 2020....people were voting AGAINST a certain person...not, necessarily FOR Him. Lol...hasn't worked out too well, has it.

I'm not sure, if it's "political"...or not...but, what i do know, is...

They didn't invite or acknowledge UGA in 2021-2022, when they "won it all", with one of the greatest defenses of all time.

They didn't invite or acknowledge UGA, in 2022-2023, when they "won it all", after a dominant season, in which they "ran the table".

That obvious and glaring oversight was corrected....AFTER they were shamed into it....and....AFTER they invited and acknowledged an NCAA Women's Basketball Champion, a mere ~2 wks after the CG....(LSU)....and stepped on their own "political toes", by acknowledging and inviting the "Loser" of that Championship game...UCONN....insulting the "Winning" team...LSU. Lmao

This WH appears to be so incompetent...I doubt they know whether or not it's political. I'd be willing to bet, the DNC said to the WH...'What the hell are ya doing? We might not have a Senatorial Election in Georgia this cycle...but, we're still gonna need their votes in the Presidential and local elections. You can't just cut them out, cause you despise em.".

Remember....Obama was "shocked", when he found out Georgia was "in-play" for his Party, in October 2020. Before that, they barely bothered campaigning here. That tells you everything you need to know, about where Ga. sits on the "WH priority list". Lol

The Dawgs will take over the White House, in 2024....after they win the 3-peat. And, I for one...am looking forward to it. Kirby for President. Lol

• Options
    edited May 2023

Does it seem to you....Kirby needs a photo-op to help with recruiting? He has surpassed that artificial recruiting boost, phase. The visit would've helped the POTUS more than it would've help Kirby Smart and the UGA Bulldogs. IMO

BTW...I agree with your position. These days, it's darned near impossible, to have a discussion about ANYTHING...without "politics" somehow entering the picture.

That's more or less, a new cultural development. An obviously biased mainstream media....along with Social Media, just adds jet fuel to an already volatile situation. Lol...oh well...we'll figure it out, we always do.

This is America, by God...and, we're all in this "together". I look forward to seeing the Dawgs "representing", in 2024...unless, there's another excuse. Lol

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

On some level, everything is political. Whether the invitation itself was delayed, Kirby's decision to decline it, whatever. Somewhere, somehow, politics played a role. I agree with those that don't understand why the invitation wasn't made sooner. I know there's a lot going on in Washington, but it seems that these championships are known about well in advance. Seems the White House Director or Protocol or whatever, could just say, "Football champions are invited this week (or month,) NCAA basketball champions this week; Baseball and Track this month, and so on. The fact there was so much wrangling over it seems odd. I wish the team had gone because it's the White House. And, as Kirby acknowledged, HE has gone before and found it educational and informative. But most of his players and coaches have not. Some of them may have appreciated the opportunity. Mike's overall argument about him not going because it doesn't help Georgia win is specious. I doubt any team's visit to the White House (or the Statehouse for that matter) would help them win. It's just a thing to do. I still love my Dawgs and life will move on. But if Smart really didn't want to go, maybe he should have communicated that to all the Georgia politicians lobbying for the invitation. But then again, that's politics. Go Dawgs!

• Options

Absolutely!!! That's exactly what I was thinking. In the words of the revered Mark Twain (Samuel Clemmons)....The demise of UGA's "DISRESPECTED!!!" mantra, "has been greatly exaggerated". Lol

• Options

@MikeGriffith @DallasDawg

"Mike's overall argument about him not going because it doesn't help Georgia win is specious"___dallasdawg

IMO....There's a big difference between...

1. It doesn't help UGA win....AND, it's disrupting preparations for the upcoming season and scheduled recruiting visits....after graduation and departure of "honored personnel", the visit was intended to highlight...during Summer OTA's/break.

OR

2. It doesn't help UGA win...but, it's in the "Jan/Feb stand down period", when school, training and recruiting obligations are relatively light and, disruptions are minimum.

This year..."the accident" may have interfered with those plans, had they been made. Or, maybe...if they had gotten "the invite"..."the accident" may not have even happened, at all. Serendipity is a b.tch.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Its May, not a week after the NC game, so yeah... we have more important things going on preparing for THIS Season without talking about Last Season. No way I'd accept an invitation if you couldn't send your players who were actually on that Team and had kids go that weren't even on the team yet. No brainer.