Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

SEC settles on 8-game league schedule, single-division play for 2024 season

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited June 2023 in Article commenting
imageSEC settles on 8-game league schedule, single-division play for 2024 season

MIRAMAR BEACH, Fla. — The SEC has settled on an eight-game schedule and single division format for the 2024 season.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SufferinginAtlantaSufferinginAtlanta Posts: 58 ✭✭✭ Junior

Just win. All that matters.

• Options
    Tom_BomadilTom_Bomadil Posts: 68 ✭✭✭ Junior

All about the money. And what's sad is that younger fans don't see anything wrong with that.

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 382 ✭✭✭ Junior

Oh no, we get it! Love the traditional rivals and want them to stay the same, but you oldies need to wake up and realize CFB is changing and if you don’t adapt, you will be left behind and will no longer be the best conference. Of course it’s about the money, always has and always will be, just because it was under the table in your youth, doesn’t mean money wasn’t running the show! Kirby already knows that, he said it would stink, but it doesn’t matter to him bc we have to play the games in front of them to get to the playoffs or SECCG!

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I see Nick “The ultimate cry-baby” Saban caught an ear or two.

• Options
    JudgeDog31JudgeDog31 Posts: 26 ✭✭ Sophomore

Oh boy!. We get a home game against a hapless team with no real chance to lose. Exciting. Thanks guys. Can’t wait to pay my seat license and season ticket invoice for 2024. If we get punished by the CFP, which some school (or two) in the conference on the “bubble” most surely will, it will be well deserved.

• Options
    RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 175 ✭✭✭ Junior

The 2023 home schedule is one of the worst in a long time in terms of matchups. We, the season ticket holders, keep getting told better games are on the way. Seems **** to give up a home game to play our biggest rival in Jacksonville in 2024. We will only have 3 SEC home games and 4 away with one so called neutral site in Florida. 5 of our 8 SEC (best) games will be away from Athens. We will have Georgia Tech, Tennessee Tech, and UMass as out of conference teams at home. I sure hope we get quality opponents for those 3 SEC home games. The season ticket holders deserve it!

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

No one is talking about the 38 OOC games that would have to be paid off to move to the desired nine game schedule.

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    BoydCrowderBoydCrowder Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yes, money has always been a factor in decisions made regarding all aspects of the game - conference alignments, eligibility, transfers, etc. And scheduling. But I'd argue that its influence has expanded significantly in recent years as the paydays have gotten bigger, particularly for conferences and teams who make the playoffs. To me it's regrettable that other things don't matter as much anymore. Things like tradition and, even more important that that, competition for the sake of competition. And so the season ticket holders get a September schedule including TN-Martin, Ball State and UAB. You'd think that with adding the likes of Texas and Oklahoma to the conference, adding entertainment value for the fans would be a higher priority. Until they bump the conference schedule up to 9 games, it's an opportunity lost.