Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Why Kirby Smart is just fine with his program still being compared to Alabama

SystemSystem Posts: 10,480 admin
edited June 2023 in Article commenting
imageWhy Kirby Smart is just fine with his program still being compared to Alabama

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, and everything else UGA.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

“I don’t measure our program based on their program,” Money line

“ I’ve got a lot of respect for..." Generic Kirby Smart line about any team.

• Options
    street0123street0123 Posts: 67 ✭✭✭ Junior

Everything is great and UGA is the real deal until they lose to Tennessee and their not. Every year is a completely new season with new players and new coaches. What you accomplished last season or the season before doesn't matter.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"What you accomplished last season or the season before doesn't matter."......For the most, I agree and it's all in line with the Kirby Smart talking point.....BUT for one HUGE caveat.....CULTURE. The winning culture must be transfered from one TEAM to the next. The acceptance of responsibility and the commitment to instill the winning culture depends on the rise of TEAM leaders. The 2023 leaders are being developed as we speak by Kirby and Company by the application of hardships on every player and the daily challenge to not only over come but to rise above the challenge by perfecting your individual skills and blending them with your TEAM Mates to form a cohesive machine. I will submit that by Sept 2 there will be some vocal standouts but that every player that takes the field during a game....ie: Starters, All will have become TEAM LEADERS....

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Pete Carroll won the 2002-2003 titles and came one stop (or more like one bad play call) from the 2004 one. He never had another season with fewer than 2 losses and ultimately had to escape to the NFL.

Urban Meyer won the 2006 and 2008 titles and in 2009 finished 13-1, #2 in the country and reeled in one of the top rated recruiting classes in history. He retired at the end of the 2010 season after going 8-5, all of his top assistants had left town and years of off-the-field issues. Won the 2014 title, things fell apart again and he is now out of coaching.

Dabo Swinney won the 2016 and 2018 national titles and appeared on the verge of dominating college football with a loaded team and the best recruiting classes in Clemson history. Yet Swinney hasn't even won the ACC or made the playoffs the past 2 years and is on his 3rd OC in 3 years.

Bottom line: during the Saban era - which does include his stint at LSU - several guys have won 2 titles. Meyer even won 3. But no one has maintained it. Until someone does, then Alabama is still going to be the modern standard. Of course, if UGA wins the title this season then they will set a new standard by virtue of the historic nature of the accomplishment. So if that happens, then fine. Until then, "UGA has clearly surpassed Bama so why are the comparisons being made" talk is wishful thinking. All UGA has done is equal the 2011-2012 Bama team in going back to back, and by then Bama already had the 2009 title in their back pockets. So UGA needs to win a title this year just to surpass the 2009-2012 Bama era, or at least to win it in 2024 in order to surpass it. And keep in mind: the SEC was tougher in 2009-2012. The past few years the SEC has been UGA, Bama and everybody else. 2009-2012 you had title contenders at Florida, LSU, Auburn and even UGA (who beats Bama then thrashes Notre Dame for the 2012 title if they had one more good player on defense).

So before wondering why people are "still comparing" UGA to Bama, how about clearly outclassing Dabo first?

• Options
    UGADawgUGADawg Posts: 71 ✭✭✭ Junior

There is a difference between the standard THEN and the standard NOW. Are we talking about since 2003 or 2007? Or are we talking about the past two years?

Since we are talking about the past - here’s my take: I wouldn’t take anyone over the Georgia Bulldogs the past two years, and I dang sure wouldn’t bet against them this year.

You want to talk who’s the best Coach?

Saban was 51-30-1  in his first 7 years as a HC with no top 5 finishes and only 2 top 25 finishes. 

Smart was 81-15 in his first 7 years as HC. The Bulldogs have posted five double-digit win seasons, won the SEC East five times, earned three non-playoff bowl victories, captured two SEC championships and made the College Football Playoff three times, winning the national championship the last 2 years in a row. Not to mention 4 top 5 finishes and 6 top 25 finishes (and in the SEC). 

NO ONE has done what CKS has done in their first 7 years.  NO ONE

You want to penalize him for not coaching as long - go ahead. History will judge all. But if you asked me right now in this moment who I want to be my head coach - it’s CKS hands down.

A lot of haters during talking season. Can’t wait until it’s hitting season.

• Options
    CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

Saban took over a dumpster 🔥 in Michigan St. Kirby walked into a roster good enough to play for a title in his second year. Big difference

That being said what Kirby has done since losing to Florida in 2020 in nothing short of amazing

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wouldn't start the comparison at the Michigan St. job. I'd start the comparison a little later...from the point Saban took over LSU in 2000 to about 2009 or 2010...to Smart's 2016 thru 2022 accomplishments.

I haven't done a detailed analysis or anything. But, a casual glance at their accomplishments during those time frames would indicate they are virtually equal.

IMO...you would have to allow Saban the same amount of growth-time, that you allow Kirby. While Smart coached in various capacities at multiple Universities as a GA and/or asst. before taking over Bama DC duties in 2008-09...Saban's development came in the form of the NFL, Toledo and Mich St..

To be fair, I'd start the Saban-Smart comparison at the year 2000 for Nick...and, beginning 2016, for Smart. Close enough to get a fairly accurate picture.

• Options
    markkinchenmarkkinchen Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

We never disrespect Alabama... when we (UGA) have 18 National Titles in our trophy case, THEN you can start talking about comparisons. Nothing but respect for the Tide from this Bulldog.