Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

3 Georgia football takeaways regarding the update Blue-Chip Ratio numbers

SystemSystem Posts: 10,534 admin
edited June 2023 in Article commenting
image3 Georgia football takeaways regarding the update Blue-Chip Ratio numbers

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, and everything else UGA.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Trust Kirby & Company more than the ranking services.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think all would agree, despite HS stars, Javon and Ladd are BLUE CHIP.....with that fact established, It's not about the STARS you bring from HS, It's all about the STARS you earn on the way to become a STARTER...ie: when you're on the field playing for The DAWGS, you are a STARTER!

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not sure what the "Roster" definition is. Out of the 85 Scholarship players I have 69 Blues = 81%. I deduct the kickers giving 69 of 82 position players or 84% Blue.

• Options
    saldivensaldiven Posts: 58 ✭✭✭ Junior

It still makes me chuckle when I see people online trying to push the idea that star-ratings of prospects don't matter.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2023

Only concern about UGA recruiting lately has been the recruitment of seven 3* OL (2 have already transferred) over the last 3 cycles. Recognizing that 1) UGA has stacked up high 4* and 5* OL (Thomas, Salyer, Mays, BJones, Mims, SVPG, Greene, Morris, etc) in waiting thus discouraging other highly rated OL from committing. 2) UGA has developed 3* OL (Kindley, McClendon, etc) into solid CFB players with potential pro careers.

Having a mixture can be good. Guys that require more development tend to stick around longer and mature more physically. 5* guys tend to leave after 3 yrs.

But IF the UGA dominance is to continue with annual Joe Moore award consideration, more and higher rated prospects will be needed. Starting with the '24 cycle.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2023

If you can't back it up in college, HS accolades aren't worth the price of the cheap paper they're printed on. I've seen many 4*+ recruits fail miserably, and witnessed 3* recruits outplay those over hyped 4*&5* pIayers in college. I'd much rather have a 3* WR like McConkey, than a 4*+ WR like Jaden Haselwood was out of HS. Haselwood was worth 2* on his best day at Oklahoma, figuring his HS rating would be a magic ticket to stardom..Wrong. Unlike a lower rated recruit willing to be developed by coaches the way MCconkey has done.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We need to really get a strong class of DL this year and OL next year. Not a lot of immediate studs available for OL this year. I think the job Kirby and Krew are doing is remarkable. These are the glory days.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2023

No one's saying there aren't busts and guys who outperform their recruiting ranking. But in general, the highly rated players tend to do better in college. That's why coaches like Smart and Saban go after so many of them.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2023

Your comment reminded me of a great line in the movie A League of Their Own. "Can't we do both?"

No doubt a big DL class is needed to resupply numbers to an area of the team that will be depleted following this season. I probably worry less about defensive recruits as UGA seems to do very well there every year. But the loss of Alexander was unexpected and hurt. I wonder if any of Logue, Brinson, Stackhouse or Walthour would come back to enhance their draft position a la Wyatt and JDavis?

Since Pittman left, the OL recruiting success seems to have fallen off. Recruiting or existing depth scaring off recruits? There is no denying that the cornerstones of the great UGA OL's under CKS have been 5* OT/OL (and some1st rd picks) Thomas, Salyer, Wilson, BJones and Mims (future).

Using *'s only is certainly not foolproof but has been a very good indicator when put into the hands of quality coaches like at UGA. Calhoun, Pringle (SC flip), Poe, Seaton, Pierre-Louis and a couple other's would still make nice additions.

Someone mentioned the McConkey/Hazelwood "comparison". Really not a point to be made there as Hazelwood had reconstructive knee surgery during his 2nd year and McConkey never has had (knock on wood) a serious leg injury. OK also recruited 2 other 5* wr's in '19 that Hazelwood had to compete with for receptions. McConkey was "undervalued", primarily due to size, during the COVID '20 cycle. It is always more than stars but there is a reason for stars.