Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football dominating on recruiting trail, not ‘slowing down anytime soon’

SystemSystem Posts: 11,024 admin
edited July 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football dominating on recruiting trail, not ‘slowing down anytime soon’

ATHENS — The Georgia football recruiting machine just keeps gathering elite talent, the program gaining momentum as the 2023 season approaches.

Read the full story here

Comments

• DawgSonOfGamecockDawgSonOfGamecock Posts: 165 ✭✭✭ Junior

Interesting to see the FU Gators making a strong recruiting push. I thought this would eventually happen when they hired Napier. Recruiting was his forte at Louisiana, and Florida, to their credit, likely factored that into their decision to hire him. Now whether or not he can coach and develop players to the elite level Kirby has demonstrated remains to be seen, but it certainly has the hallmarks of the Georgia-Florida rivalry becoming more competitive in the years to come, something the rivalry probably needs to be honest.

OSU and Mitchigan are up there too, showing no signs of letting up even though thus far they’ve had to settle for conference championships the last several years (well, in UM’s case, decades).

Of course, they’re rankings based on commitments and it only matters who follows through and signs. Looking good in July though… hopefully Kirby will be conducting more recruiting from the yacht again come next January.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The changes in UGA recruiting,as a result of NIL, is happening right before our eyes. The top rated players are looking to cash in right away. UGA is selectively accepting commitments from some of those top rated players. UGA is accepting more commitments from lower ranked players with equally high ceilings who 1) have the physical tools to develop into Sunday players and 2) have the mental make up to work to develop and achieve their football goals.

It will be interesting to watch the results of differing recruiting philosophies and how effective the differing recruiting philosophies become.

• NJEricNJEric Posts: 132 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Also interesting is how very far Alabama has fallen off last year's high so far for 2024. Be very interesting to see how much of this they recover before signings.

• GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If it's "all about the Benjamins", as the current NIL environment has evolved, despite your HS star status, you ain't necessarily Bull Dawg material.....UGADad20 hit the nail hard and square....." UGA is accepting more commitments from lower ranked players with equally high ceilings"......believe me when I tell you that Kirby &Company are highly attuned to prospective players mental maturity, focus on goal achievement, and a never quit attitude. Just look at the O-Line commits from the past week.....all possess the physical attributes and all answered the question about winning correctly. They also recognize that the DAWG coaching staff will develop you from 2-3 star status, not to mention our 4 &5 stars to first round NFL status if and only if you are driven to work, never quit and place TEAM first and in the process win Conference Titles and NC's. Look at the 5 stars that have committed.....they all possess the aforementioned mind set. Look at our "5 star" misses and one very notable TP traverler.....NOT SO MUCH....but I wish them all well, they'll figure it out, maybe.

• BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For the most part I agree with much of what you are saying. However, I just want to add that it is ok to be paid in the NIL era. There is nothing wrong with that and I think it is a good thing and life changing thing for some players and their families even at a 100K a year amount.

As a reminder some of these kids, emphasis on some, do not have financial resources from their family and the NIL money will allow them and their family to better 'focus' on them developing that talent.

NIL is not a bad thing. It can be a very good thing in the right context and used to do beneficial things.

That being said, it can become 'too important' in the process as well.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2023

The Kirby Smart "Stamp of Approval"...and the Bulldog brand are starting to mean something in the NFL.

IMO...NFL Coaches and GM's are starting to view Kirby Smart and the Bulldogs Program....as an "Automobile enthusiast" might view a Shelby engine...or a Chocolate lover would covet Godiva Chocolates.

If you're an NFL GM...and, you bring in ANY former Bulldog...you can expect a certain quality person and player. And...like the Navy SEALS...they never disappoint. The quality that the UGA Trademark represents, these days...is extremely valuable to prospective players and NFL Coaches alike. IMO

HS Players know what they're getting into when they pick the Dawgs...and NFL Teams know the type player and "quality standard" they're getting, when they draft a Bulldog and former "Smart Student". Lol...man...the puns just write themselves when you're discussing Kirby Smart.

Well...at least a few NFL Teams get it, anyway. Philly, LA, Pitt, Jax, Green Bay to name a few...are all-in on "Kirby's Heroes". They'll be back for seconds in 2024...mark my words.

Pollack said, "UGA has taken over the College Football World", in 2022. Now, Kirby has taken aim at the Pro Football World. Will the Dawgs succeed in conquering the NFL? Stay tuned for further developments.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Seems like something is up w/AL. Silent commits? Taking more TP's (win now) w/Saban's coaching end nearing? Word on the recruiting grapevine that this yr or next is Saban's last harrah? Or maybe just a typical strong close from AL recruiting?

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was thinking the same thing. Saban is either, planning to make "a big splash" over SEC Media Days...or, the train really has started to come off the tracks, in Tuscaloosa. I tend to believe, the former. But, nowadays, with NIL and the TP...& question marks surrounding Saban's future...it's hard to be sure at this point.