Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football All-Americans: Closer look at 3 first-team picks, other potential stars

SystemSystem Posts: 10,483 admin
edited July 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football All-Americans: Closer look at 3 first-team picks, other potential stars

ATHENS — Georgia football is getting its share of players noted in preseason honors, leading the nation with seven preseason All-Americans in the Phil Steele publication, including three on the first team.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited July 2023

Ladd McConkey?

No. Just no. Please stop. McConkey averaged 50 receiving yards a game last year. There were multiple teams last season who had 3 guys with more than that. And 2022 was actually a down year for QB passing numbers, which was why the Heisman winner was a total fraud who didn't get his team a conference title or into the playoffs and lost the Rose Bowl to Tulane.

A hint: guys who are All-American WRs tend to have 1000 receiving yards. UGA has had 1 such guy in the history of their program. No, McConkey is not going to make it 2 next season, even if only because it means that the other WRs are going to get more chances than the 4 a game that the #2, #3 and #4 WRs were forced to share between them last year (ruining the NFL draft prospects of Kearis Jackson and driving Dom Blaylock to transfer to preserve his).

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's possible but not probable.

I do think Beck throws for over 4000 yards so who gets the yards?

Bowers 800

McConkey 800

Lovett 700

Jacksaint 600

Arian 500

All the running backs, tes and wide receivers not mentioned so far for the balance

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I’m bold enough to say I’m one of your down votes. I appreciate your view point. But Mike said “skills” not 1st or 2nd team. I could use your perspective for everyone on his list.

MG, though reporting, is also a fan. Thus has his opinions and for him, a place to share them.

you are not wrong about a 1st team AA, but LM does have the skills and speed. The question for all on that list, will they get the opportunity.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Brooksie Not a "fan," but certainly respect the game. McConkey is vastly underrated -- he played hurt in 5 games last season. Will be interesting to see what he does with a full season. Ladd is an NFL receiver.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"A hint: guys who are All-American WRs tend to have 1000 receiving yards. UGA has had 1 such guy in the history of their program. No, McConkey is not going to make it 2 next season, even if only because it means that the other WRs are going to get more chances than the 4 a game that the #2, #3 and #4 WRs were forced to share between them last year (ruining the NFL draft prospects of Kearis Jackson and driving Dom Blaylock to transfer to preserve his)."......I appreciate your opinion thadec but you fail to consider what reall makes an All American.....Catches per targets and Yards after catch. Given those two qualifiers a receiver doesn't have to amass outrageous yardage totals and Ladd McConkey will be an AA as well as an early draft pick. BTW, NFL teams are now recognizing that teams like The Dawgs don't rely on the one "star" receiver, RB, QB, TE but spread the ball around giving opportunity to many to function as a TEAM....ie: AD Mitchell to D Washington for the two point conversion against LSU.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I just hope all the UGA players stay healthy and contribute what they can. Let the chips fall where they may. Some wr's will have a better rapport with the new QB than other's and may garner more targets/stats. RB or WR by committee does not usually produce the gaudy stat's needed to make AA's. Just championships.