Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Ranking the Top 10 Georgia wins under Kirby Smart

SystemSystem Posts: 10,483 admin
edited July 2023 in Article commenting
imageRanking the Top 10 Georgia wins under Kirby Smart

The past seven seasons have produced unprecedented success for UGA football.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 277 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Excuse me, Bill, but UGA beat Fla in 1969 51-0 which is a larger margin of victory than 52-7.

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great article, Bill! Thanks for keeping the juices flowing while we wait for September!

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That’s a good list, but I would put the rose bowl at #3 and the 2nd NC at #4.

• Options
    BillKingBillKing Posts: 62 ✭✭ Sophomore

To bogarttad: Actually, it was 1968, but thanks for the reminder.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2023

Great Job Bill, my day of rest was spent debating/arguing over your Top 10 Greatest Dawg Victories...with the realization that the only list that is ever correct is your on!

We're all good on #1 and #2 The two best games I have ever watched! #3, I liked the 2017 Rose Bowl, I had known Jake when he played at Houston Co, as I worked at Warner Robins High and knew what a special talent he was....but when he laid a block to free Sony fro the winning TD and open the door to the NC, That was SPECIAL! My #4 was the 2021 Orange Bowl only because my wife is the biggest blowhard Blue Grad and Harbaugh lover....gag me! #5 Georgia over ND in South Bend....come back resilience in hostel territory on the backs of the loudest fan base in America! #6 2017 SEC Championship over The War **** Eagles/Tigers/Plainspeople, sweet revenge for the Jordan Hare debacle! #7 2022 NC, The TCU Cake Walk.....brought back memories of Halloween Carnival Night at Chase St Elementary. #8 Georgia handing Kirby his first Top 10 Victory, 13-7 over the above mentioned multi named schizophrenic team across the river from Columbus...Shades of Erk Russell, the Dawg D introduces itself! #9, The battle of #1's in Sanford, Dawgs 27 Hounds 13...Thank GOD we played the bench or they wouldn't have scored a TD! #10 I'm steppin out on a limb here, but IMHO The 26-22 over Mizzo in Columbia was the trial by fire which tempered our metal, which prepared us, to BEAT TOS in the Peach Bowl. It was the greatest display of the never quit Culture Kirby has sown since his arrival. Mizzo has never in it's history played so far over their ability but we would not give up!

Well that's it from Sunny Tucson....lookin for others to sound off, give my best to Owen and Carlton!

• Options
    DawgSonOfGamecockDawgSonOfGamecock Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

It’s an important distinction between “greatest” games and “favorite” games, but when it comes to what really matters- hardware, I’m always going to defer to games that won Georgia the ultimate prize, especially after waiting so long for a natty. As other older Dawgs like me have commented from time to time, we sometimes couldn’t help but wonder if Georgia was ever going to win one again. And we’ve now won 2 and counting under Kirby. So for me, as of today those two are my top two, be it favorite or greatest wins. The first over Alabama is naturally #1 for ending the drought. As for the win over TCU, Georgia was so dominant in the first half that at halftime (I believe it was Rece Davis, may have been Chris Fowler who said it) all pretense was dropped about the outcome of the game. As they cut to a commercial, we heard, “Georgia, 30 minutes away from another title.”

Yeah, that’s why that’s my second favorite game, and looking forward to the distinct possibility another natty under Smart will compete for the #2 spot!

• Options
    PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2023

Man, isn't it great to be having a discussion like this after just seven years?! I certainly see the the value in all of those picks, but to me the drama of the victory over OSU--right at midnight ringing in this year--and that it ultimately led to a back to back Natty, makes it, perhaps, the most exciting game I've ever watched. I agree the Ringo pick and the victory over Bama was the greatest moment in UGA football history, at least that I can remember. Two great games, no doubt. Like the OSU game, that Rose Bowl was another truly great football game. I had friends who weren't even UGA fans raving about how great that one was. The only big thing in the article I might disagree with is the relative importance of the SECCG in '17. That was a huge game and victory. Just as the '21 Natty was a breakthrough game, that victory over Auburn was a breakout for UGA football under Kirby. The drought was over and Georgia was back. If you guys will remember, we lost 5 games in '16 and the foes were saying Kirby was a loser who couldn't make it happen on game day--just like his predecessors. When Swift broke that run finishing AU, they probably groaned as they realized the three big wins earlier in '17 signaled a sea change for UGA football. Great article.

• Options
    robinsdawgrobinsdawg Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'll probably get shunned for my opinion, but my gauge for exciting/favorite/best game is - did I react by jumping out of my recliner to whoop it up at the end, or a significant play, or domination of a "hated" opponent. Using this as a criteria, neither of the NCGs make the top of my list, even after the Ringo INT. As a baseline, I go to 1980. While the Sugar Bowl was great, it wasn't the WLOCP. So, for me #1 is Rose Bowl with its tradition and history against a hated opponent, #2 SECCG vs Auburn when Swift scored the TD. #3 was at ND, with Lorenzo recovering the fumble. #4 is playoff game vs Michigan and total domination of B1G opponent. Finally, at #5 is NCG against Bama. The INT was the clincher, but I was confident that our D would have stopped them regardless. The INT was just the icing.