Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart’s Waffle House football epiphany, humble beginnings after NFL cut

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited July 2023 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart’s Waffle House football epiphany, humble beginnings after NFL cut

ATHENS — Kirby Smart will take the stage in Nashville at SEC Media Days this week on top of the college football world, a defending two-time national championship coach with an eight-figure salary.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    brvhrtbrvhrt Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

“Self-reflection was really tough then, because it was like, ‘Who am I, and what do I identify as?’ " Smart said. “I identified as a Georgia football player and now I wasn’t, and now I had to decide what I was.”

This is probably the greatest struggle for athletes, as well as for men in general.

• Options
    Uxga_XUxga_X Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

so we get this article? where is the reporting on Judd and what happened with the Louisville Courier-Journal? its all over Rivals and 24/7???

should have known

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm glad you brought this up, or wouldn't have found out today... I go to DN for much of my UGA news, and forgot they're AJC-owned 😳

https://uga.rivals.com/news/reporter-investigating-uga-resigned-over-fabrications-at-prior-job

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep...just read it. THEY...Tell it like it is, don't they. Some of the same stuff I've been saying. 'Bout time somebody reported on it.

Here's a link in case anyone wants to check it out at 247Sports....

https://247sports.com/college/georgia/article/uga-demands-ajc-retraction-for-inaccuracies-in-investigative-rep-212689891/

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2023

Oh...wait. I DIDN'T read that. I'll get back to you. Lol

<updated>

Okay...I read it...and, I'm blown away that this guy got away with the lying for so long.

It's interesting that the same thing that blew up THAT story...blew up THIS story. People calling in and squawkin'.. Lol...Judd had to have anticipated that. Liars are usually pretty smart.

How did the AJC "not know" about the Kentucky "Courier Incident", when they hired him 24 years ago.

How many stories has he gotten his hands on, over that period of time?

How many lives and careers has this guy damaged through lies, assumption, innuendo and speculation?

The AJC is in BIG TROUBLE, and should be....."If true". Lol. Below is an excerpt of the 247Sports article on Judd's reporting.

NOTE: Fleischaker is the attorney that represented the Courier-Journal's owner and Publication, at the time (1988 time frame).

[While Fleischaker said he didn’t want to speak on Judd’s reporting with the AJC, he wanted it to be known what transpired at the Courier-Journal with the context of the UGAAA letter.

“I think it's fair to say he writes really well,” Fleischaker said. “He really does write well. Forget what the facts are, he writes really well. And that's the problem. I said to somebody, it's easy to write a good story if you can make up your own facts.”]_____247Sports

"Make up your own facts"?. Hmmm. And, there lies the current problem with our entire National Media trying to outdo one another for a "scoop" that might go "viral". It's not good enough to simply "report the news", anymore.

It has to have public appeal and intrigue....no matter how many details have to be fabricated....or people misquoted. If you're a "reporter"...you have the Power of the Press and the Law behind you and YOUR lies. The rest of us have to fend for ourselves.

Lol...They ramp up a non-story, built using a Bic lighter & Sterno....While ignoring a roaring cloud of smoke that could lead toa discovery of a forest fire. We all know...but...crickets from the News Outlets.

I'm telling you...If you want "The Truth"...you have to dig for it. They don't do it for you, anymore. Lol

• Options
    sthop456sthop456 Posts: 72 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited July 2023

Similar story. As a UGA Alumnus, I still remember walking up to the bulletin board grade postings to look at my last grade in my last class ever as a UGA student. I had finished my degree and would never be a student at UGA again. Another chapter begins.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited July 2023

Love the parts where 1, his off the record response was all about the past where he made stuff up and recorded over his tapes and nothing to do with this hit job and mostly I loved how his Linkedin profile is missing his employment history at the Courier-Journal in Louisville, Kentucky, where he high-tailed it out of there the day after he was found out.

Then the Courier-Journal scrambled all they could to keep from being sued. Will UGA follow through?

So far the evidence appears to indicate that once again, this Judd character, the defamer and liar that it appears he still is, once again, has fabricated and defamed, but against a much larger and more powerful subject than elite high school athletes and their educational opportunities.

I mean, this could cost UGA big time. And if it is not close to being true, and people believe it, the impact of that bad press and public image plunge is easily in the millions. A made up public relations nightmare? Wow, is this guy trying to put the nail in the AJC coffin or what?!

And you know people do and will believe the potential slander for a long time and will likely never hear about the retraction and apology, etc. If one ever comes. But a huge lawsuit? They will likely get that news front and center and THEN, the AJC will be the one rightly to suffer the same as has been showered on UGA. Rightly, if they did not vet this guys sources and evidence and proof.

https://uga.rivals.com/news/reporter-investigating-uga-resigned-over-fabrications-at-prior-job

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

" Smart said. “I identified as a Georgia football player and now I wasn’t, and now I had to decide what I was.”....The culture that Kirby Smart has developed is a complete paradigm shift from when he played. The Culture that is nourished is one of TEAM first. Every player, whether starting or in a rotation or even bench is a leader. The very best lead by example everyday at practice, always give all that you have to hone your position skill to habit, always have your team mates back, when miscues are made, move on to the next play, and never stop working for "Elite" status. Every player shares the mind set "Win" knowing that TEAM will always defeat individual player greatness. Yes, you are a Georgia football player but it's only for a short season. Some will continue to the next level. Some will not so attainment of a degree is paramount. Education combined with the leadership skills and experiences make a DGD unbeatable, what ever the next season brings.

• Options
    BoydCrowderBoydCrowder Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby likes the opposing receivers scattered, smothered and covered!

• Options
    CHDawg54CHDawg54 Posts: 334 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I was a jock all my life until all the aches and pains decided for me what I couldn't decide for myself. I quit playing everything but golf in my mid 40s. I'm now in my late 60s and while I still occasionally tee it up, I no longer try to compete and I'm very competitive. And while I didn't play college football, I did play four years in Europe while I was stationed there in the 70s.

I still have baseball gloves, jerseys, a helmet (with water filled chambers) that was only used by us for a couple of games, and other stuff to remind me of the good old days when my body was fully functional.