Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football ‘mutually agrees to part ways’ with Texas A&M transfer Deyon ‘Smoke’ Bouie

SystemSystem Posts: 10,474 admin
edited July 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football ‘mutually agrees to part ways’ with Texas A&M transfer Deyon ‘Smoke’ Bouie

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Georgia coach Kirby Smart announced that transfer Deyon “Smoke Bouie” will not return to the team after completing spring drills.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I guess the old saying is true, "Where there's smoke there's fire!" Thanks, I'll be here all week. No, but seriously I wish the young man the best and I'm sorry it didn't work out for him at UGA. Talented DB's are hard to come by.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There's more to this than we know is all I can speculate. He had problems with A&M and obviously with UGA as well. His football credentials are excellent. Something else is amiss. Moving on. Coach Smart know what he is doing. Some guys just do not fit into the UGA culture. I hope this is not a pattern with Bouie?

• Options
    jvillebiljvillebil Posts: 166 ✭✭✭ Junior

Well if you come here thinking it's a walk in the park and I'll just jump on the bandwagon to another Natty well wake up and smell the coffee. This ain't no cakewalk. Wish him the best but it's next man up. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2023

Speeding? Just kidding!

I do find the timing of this announcement interesting. To those that say CKS isn't aware, hasn't known or doesn't have a plan for EVERYTHING in the UGA program think about the timing of this announcement.

What better time for an announcement than the morning of the SEC meeting before CKS addresses the media? What better way to take some of the focus away from what would've been too many questions on speeding/racing, off the field rumors, UGA discipline practices, AJC articles etc etc.

This won't distract totally from those other questions but it will take away the opportunity to ask a few of those questions.

As for Smoke, there was a a suspension at aTm for "smoking". aTm also had a documented incident of racing/speeding by players in their parking garage that led to suspension and dismissal. Any bad habits that followed a player from another program would be unwelcome in the UGA program.

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I was hoping things would work out for us and Smoke. I wish him well.

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Is anybody really surprised by this? The young man obviously has serious issues.

• Options
    KickJudyKickJudy Posts: 81 ✭✭ Sophomore

Well, I wanted to see what he could do like everyone else. First you have to follow the rules, I guess the nickname "Smoke" tells the story.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2023

I agree...perfect timing. Did you notice, NOBODY wanted to talk about that AJC business? I've never seen reporters and professional gum-flappers duck and dodge a question as fast as they did.

BTW...I wonder if that's how "Smoke" got the nickname in high school. Lol...JK.

That's 2 former 4/5-star recruits that got away from Kirby,...came back home on the transfer train,....and, fizzled out....Smoke Bouie & Erik Gilbert. You can't say, "Kirby Smart didn't try to help a couple of Georgia Boys.". I'm pullin' for em too.

I just hope it's a "late bloomer" issue, they'll overcome,...like Bennett did (IMO). They are both talented as all get out.

But, talent isn't everything. It'll only get you an opportunity to excel, among other very talented football players. If you prepare yourself for that opportunity, the way Bowers did...then when it comes, you're ready.

Bowers is the best example that came to mind...but, Walter Payton was an inspiration to a lot of kids with his offseason workout routine, as well.