Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

A couple of current Dawgs may rank among UGA’s greatest receivers

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited June 2023 in Article commenting
imageA couple of current Dawgs may rank among UGA’s greatest receivers

UGA often is cited as Running Back U., but it has had some great pass receivers.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 277 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Thanks, Bill for another ride down Memory Lane. You "caught" all the really good receivers I'm aware of plus several more. I particularly was happy for your inclusion of Charley Whittemore and at least a mention of Dennis Hughes, two solid tight ends from the time you and I were at UGA.

• Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Pickens being on this list makes it meaningless to me. Was he great for a season and a half? Eh, maybe.

But “All-time great receiver”? Yeah, asterisks or not, hard no. And he did not come back for UGA or the team, he came back early from injury because he was told by his agent that if he didn’t, he’d fall even further in the draft the he had already decided he was leaving early for.

He could have easily been an all-time great receiver at UGA, but he was not cut from the same cloth as the David Pollack’s and Nick Chubb’s and Massaquoi’s of the college football southern world.

Credit to those young men who went that extra mile for Georgia AND to be great; Pickens ain’t it.

✌️

• Options
    OldJeepBobOldJeepBob Posts: 71 ✭✭✭ Junior

A fun trip down memory lane!

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

AJ Green catching that pass over the LSU defensive back's outstretched hands.

The greatest wide receiver in the last 30 years easily. Fred Gibson was fun to watch and Terrance was great. AJ was on another level and humble too.

• Options
    BillKingBillKing Posts: 62 ✭✭ Sophomore

Gibroni88 I fully understand your not thinking Pickens belongs on the list. As I hope you've read, I quoted folks on both sides and debated that question myself. I ended up including him with an asterisk because of his extraordinary talent. And I recognized there at the end of the post that other fans' lists might differ from mine. However, to say the entire list is "meaningless" because I included one player you disagree with seems a bit extreme, even if you despise Pickens.

• Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@BillKing

Fair enough, Bill.

Meaningless was too strong of a word, after further thought. But a 4 hour edit window isn’t enough time to change the word.

point of note: I do not despise George, I root for him to do well on the Steelers as well as when he was a BullDawg. I believe that he is/was not cut from the same cloth as some of the other players at UGA that caught footballs and scored touchdowns.

I can say, for example, even before his Junior season, that Brock “Stud” Bowers will definitely be in my top 5 of all-time. Heck, maybe even number 1?

• Options
    bobcdawgbobcdawg Posts: 64 ✭✭ Sophomore

Meaningless are the comments that come from anyone who does not recognize and appreciate the effort and achievement it took for George Pickens to even come back and play for us after his serious injury. Not to mention the extraordinary contribution he made coming back, with a critical, game changing catch in the National Championship game against Alabama. As to "not cut from the same cloth", what a nonsensical, ridiculous thing to say. How would anyone judge that and what does it even mean in this context?