Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

50 years ago: Up-and-down season brings a great Munson call

SystemSystem Posts: 11,029 admin
edited July 2023 in Article commenting
image50 years ago: Up-and-down season brings a great Munson call

The outlook was mixed as Vince Dooley’s Dawgs kicked off the 1973 football season.

Read the full story here

Comments

• bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 292 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Thanks for the recollections, Bill. Of course, Andy traded in his #14 at UGA to #32 at New England, pairing with Sam "Bam" Cunningham to be one of the most effective running back tandems in the NFL.

• PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was disappointed with '72 and '73. After the great and almost trophy winning '71 season, we just didn't play that well in either season. I figured Johnson and Poulos would be unstoppable because they were so good in '71.

• DoggoneDoggone Posts: 110 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited July 2023

The Dooley era was consistent winners. It seemed that the defense had the greater effect. We're so used to a lot of scoring today but back then scoring was often 20 or below and wins were by 1 or 3 pts. There were some great players, Bill Stanfill, Jake Scott, Happy Dicks back in the late 60's & 70's. My favourite game was the flea flicker win over Bama.