Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart explains why Carson Beck won Georgia’s quarterback battle: ‘He’s had good answers’

SystemSystem Posts: 10,520 admin
edited August 2023 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart explains why Carson Beck won Georgia’s quarterback battle: ‘He’s had good answers’

ATHENS — Kirby Smart didn’t even have to be asked the question. The Georgia head coach came out and just named Carson Beck the starting quarterback, ending months of speculation as to who would officially replace Stetson Bennett.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ok now that that is over with, the offense and Beck can focus on the task at hand and that’s putting a beat down down on Tennessee Martin and Ball State and get in stride to play the Gamecocks. I feel we are in a good place with our backups but experience won out in the end. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"He completed 26 of his 35 pass attempts for 310 yards and 4 touchdowns. Crucially, he didn’t have any interceptions in those pass attempts. "

I know it's just a scrimmage, but those are some pretty amazing numbers. Good job Carson!

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Does that mean all those that put alabama and ohio state ahead of us due to uncertainty at the position will now correct that mistake?

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have every confidence in Beck. And hats off to him for Staying at UGA when some QBs across college football would have probably hit the TP !! So if we ever had Any doubts about Carson ( not saying there were) being a loyal DGD those should be gone !!

I also have every confidence in our backup QBs in the event God Forbid that Carson were to get seriously injured. Our beloved Dawgs have Three great QBs though inexperienced backups.

Carson has a Ton of viable targets to go to !! And I honestly Believe that will include pass catching RBs as the Dawgs get deeper in the season. In the meantime Dawgs have plenty of great weapons at TE and WR to win games until the RBs can get up to speed catching the ball out of the backfield.

And Heck to maintain balance there’s nothing wrong at all with RBs doing what they do best, Running the ball !!

By the time the competition gets more heated I Believe our Dawgs will have a very potent Offense. And on paper this Might end up being the best Defense of Kirby’s time !!

I’m now curious to see what STs will look like, punt returns, kick returns, punts, FGs etc. Been a while since we’ve seen a True threat to take it to the house in kick and punt returns. I guess not since the Human Joystick ?? Could Mews be That guy on STs ?? Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 200 ✭✭✭ Junior

Bennett’s legacy may be more than B2B titles. He may be the 1st in a string of 1-2 year starters at QB that lead the Dawgs to Natties then departs for the NFL. Beck, Vandagriff, Stockton, & Raiola!!! What’s a 6 or 7-peat would be fine with me!!! GO DAWGS!!!!

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

First off. I hope Beck takes us to the Trifecta because then he will go pro and give Griff a reason for sticking around. Otherwise, he comes back next year and Griff will transfer and possibly Stockton too.

Raiola looks great but he is going to need at least 1 year as a backup maybe 2. That opens up opportunity for the other guys if Beck leaves.

Beck is great and I fully expect him to light it up this year. Predicting 4000 yards and 35+td passes.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great news and well deserved Carson, especially since you persevered and won out over two elite competitors! They say the cream will always rise to the top...I say we've got a bucket of butter in our QB room.....At QB the Dawgs will be a Three Headed Monster that no DC in America will be able to plan for short of a criminal act.