Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Blindside movie was a fraud

Comments

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sure, this scenario is entirely plausible but also still horrendously bad. Tuohys invite a 5-star football recruit into their home for his senior season with the hopes they can convince him to go to their alma mater. That’s a transactional relationship but could still benefit Oher. However, that isn’t actually what they did. They tricked him into a conservatorship guaranteeing they could get him into Ole Miss no matter what. They could void any paperwork for other schools he might sign and sign for him instead. Giving up your right to autonomy to someone in exchange for a place to stay for a year is not a fair exchange and I don’t see how you and @RxDawg can think that’s even remotely ok to do.

It is possible they initially only had plans to make sure they could get him to Ole Miss through legal chicanery, but I do believe Oher chose Ole Miss because he probably liked the Tuohys and with their coaxing went there of his own volition. They do still have the conservatorship though and a close friend that writes books for a living, so maybe they could get themselves famous. Like others have said they had money at this point but they didn’t have fame. Without having to deal with Oher they were able to get a book published and a movie deal finalized within three years of the conservatorship. If they were making financially poor decisions to get a book and movie out faster for their own fame that also puts them in violation of the conservatorship. They had a fiduciary responsibility to Oher and have to enter deals that maximize his financial benefit. They also allowed a movie that made him look bad get produced without setting the record straight after either. Definitely not something in his interest.

Yeah they were never gonna mess with Oher’s NFL contracts. There was no way that could mess with those and not get exposed immediately. NFL legal teams would have gotten involved at that point because it’s very obvious that Oher didn’t need (or ever need) a conservatorship.

Yeah it’s obvious Oher is using his book tour to first get the media’s attention and then file the lawsuit while he has their attention for increased publicity of the lawsuit. It’s part of a pressure campaign to get the Tuohys to cooperate.

Maybe the Tuohys planned this from the beginning or their plans evolved naturally over time. They could have made money off Oher or they were just trading his name for their own fame. We’ll find out from the lawsuit since all he is asking for is to end the conservatorship and have a proper accounting of the finances they were supposed to handle for him. No matter how you slice it though, the Tuohys come out looking like scum.

• Options
  • Options

What we already know is bad. I've said this a bunch, but there was absolutely zero reason for him to be put into a conservatorship and made their ward. Add in all the lies they've told, and it's already a horrendous look for the Tuohys.

Sean Tuohy himself is the proof. He was on an episode of Below Deck in 2017 which is about rich people on yachts and a question about the how the movie got made came up. He said Steven Spielberg and Harvey Weinstein asked him for the rights to their names before they would start producing the movie, and Sean said he wanted to read the script first before signing over the rights. Several weeks later he got the script in the mail. So he claims. The dude is a liar so I'm sure there are embellishments here, but having input/veto power on the script seems believable.

I've never said they are masterminds. I believe the opposite in fact. They seem to be quite dumb but being rich and connected helps mask that. I believe they just happened to be in a position to take advantage of a rare opportunity and did so. It's probably not something they were actively seeking out or would even attempt to replicate again. I think they are way less important to the story than Oher and any claim they have some sort of equal claim to importance is laughable.

This is the strongest pro-Tuohy argument and it still falls very short. No one would think that someone like Oher would even be under a conservatorship. It's just not something these NFL teams would even consider when negotiating with Oher. Also conservatorships are not magic that make someone's name disappear from a contract to void it. The enforcement mechanism would be through the court system, where the conservators would file to have the contract voided otherwise there really isn't anything to keep the contractual obligations from being upheld. My feeling is the Tuohys would have been absolutely destroyed if they took an active role in those decisions, but who knows maybe they did and that comes out later. I highly doubt it though.

They are scum.

• Options
    DawgwiredDawgwired Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2023

The lawsuit is basically that they profited off of his name and tricked him in to a conservatorship. They claim that they only made 350k after taxes and split it evenly including Oher. This should be easy to prove. They didn’t profit off anything else associated with him that I’ve seen or that he’s said. They’ve also said that they’re ending the conservatorship. They are worth over $200mm so $350k is Pennie’s to them. He thinks they made a lot of money on the movie and book because of him. They say they didn’t. It will be easy to prove. There’s no other contract etc in question. This appears to be a money grab for money that they did not make off the movie or book. If they did he deserves his share as well as ending the conservatorship which they’ve agreed too. What his parents did to him is a much bigger issue. And if they haven’t used the conservatorship for any other purpose maybe they got bad advice way back when and didn’t truly understand it. Who knows…

https://www.unilad.com/film-and-tv/news/michael-oher-the-blindside-tuohy-family-earnings-725335-20230818

• Options

It’s entirely possible they didn’t make as much money as Oher’s team believes. That still wouldn’t get them out of potential legal trouble or prove they were morally right.

• Options
    DawgwiredDawgwired Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

and that may end up being the case and if so makes you wonder if they will try to settle out of court. He may not want too. Probably going to be some podcasts made about this one

• Options
  • Options
    donniemdonniem Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2023

This whole thing looks/sounds like another movie could be in the offing. Would be great if several of our main contributors on this thread could get major roles in the film.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,738 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2023

That is not an answer, that is your own wild guess. Come on, man. You clearly have a problem with wealthy people.

• Options
    edited August 2023

So you think conservatorships are magic? Ok I’ll use your same logic and say you have a problem with black people.

edit: Also which part is a wild guess? You really do seem to lack basic reading comprehension or are motivated by so much bias that you’re refusing to actually address what I’m saying

• Options

This such a hilarious self own. All I did was use your same argument back at you to show you how dumb it was.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2023

I love how he hurls that manipulative accusation at you... while you have DJ as your pic profile. The more I interact with Yale, the more I think he's just simply the best troll on the internet.