Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Latest injuries to Georgia running back position only further impact 2023 offensive plans

SystemSystem Posts: 10,513 admin
edited August 2023 in Article commenting
imageLatest injuries to Georgia running back position only further impact 2023 offensive plans

ATHENS — Georgia’s running backs can’t seem to catch a break. They can rupture a patella tendon, pull a hamstring or strain a knee ligament.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited August 2023

Connor just can’t understand the RB room, albeit with injuries is just fine. He is way to young to remember the days of 2 quality backs, and sometimes only one. Tell me, who backed up Garrison or Herschel.

sure, the game is different. More passing, not more running.

THE DAWGS ARE FINE AT RB!!

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Doubtful.

I would be comfortable with Clarke back there but after him I am not comfortable. That being said he is our current 5th team rb after the 2 big injuries. 5th team....

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All I can say is it’s expected, really Demanded when someone on the Defense goes down ( especially the secondary) that the next guy Man Up. No matter how inexperienced.

Really it’s a Team mantra. I’m not trying to be sarcastic, or naive, it’s just the reality. The young bucks are gonna Have to Man Up !!

Dawgs staff were really high on Paul before he got injured. Well OK here’s a golden opportunity for him to showcase his stuff. And on Roderick Roberson, I realize UGA/SEC ball is light years ahead of HS ball, but if he can even vaguely produce like his HS days he’s a weapon. I’ve been reading bits and pieces where he’s flashed in practices and scrimmages.

Hopefully Daijun Edwards has only a mild strain of the MCL. At least the first couple of games give a smidgen of time to get Milton and Daijun back. I hate to see young guys thrown into the fire, but it is what it is. They should Embrace the opportunity though. If Milton, Edwards, B. Robinson were all fully healthy these young guys would only get touches in garbage time late in the game vs a cupcake. But Now they could out of necessity be Starters !!

So yes they lack experience but let’s hope they can over come that with Effort. No true Dawg wants to see a guy go down, but when it happens, and in football it’s Gonna happen, be ready to have your number called !!

And lastly but really Most importantly, I trust our coaches to get these young bucks up to speed in optimum time. If any coaches can do it’s the coaches at UGA !! I think we’re gonna be OK in the RB room, but these young guys are gonna have to embrace every snap in practice and real games. Who knows one or two might turn out to be absolute beasts !!! It’s a golden opportunity for them to show their stuff Now, where as before being so far down the depth chart might be one or two years waiting, or Never !!

• Options
    DawgOnDawgOn Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

Perhaps it might be a good idea to protect the running backs a bit during practice, for we have a brutal defense capable of wreaking havoc on mere mortal bodies. We do the same with our QB, though I do not think it necessary to limit RB contact quite as much, for real time, game-like practices are vital in winning it all. Still, something must be done, and I can think of nothing better than limiting their hits. We rotate back to keep tread on the tires. We might take some interest in addressing the issue of remedying the cause of broken axles and such.

• Options
    saldivensaldiven Posts: 57 ✭✭✭ Junior

Might need to move Kyron Jones back to RB....

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm not sure this will make a huge difference (although it is broadly a solid idea), mainly because most of the reporting seemed to indicate that the majority (I think?) were non-contact injuries.

I said it last year, and I'll reiterate now: quite a few of these injuries are non-contact, and looking across seasons it seems more are in practice than in games. I don't recall this many 5-10 years ago. Is it possible the new (well, not so much now, but you get my drift) practice turf is a problem yet to be looked at?

I checked out some other prominent teams before posting this, and while some have notable injuries at RB (esp. Corum and Edwards at UM, but both are back), NONE have as many injured as UGA. If not the turf, is there something else that can (reasonably, that is) explain this rash of practice injuries for the Dawgs over several years? I don't buy it being a conditioning issue, or CKS would be all over it, IMHO.... 🤔

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited August 2023

Not concerned. Connor sure is though. Already speculating Beck will not have a reliable back to rely on. Doom and gloom? I beg to differ. Like the song says "Everything is gonna be alright" With our OL, we can suit up a LB, TE, WR, or the waterboy if need be. Yeah!

My biggest concern is pass pro. Not the running game.

Backfield could even be better than last year. Nobody knows. That is why we play the games and have a season. Got some young guys and guys down on the depth chart licking their chops at the opportunity! Walk-ons, etc. Heck I think we got a once highly touted HS back from NJ or somewhere up north, that got injured his senior season a couple of years or so ago and was forgotten by the college world, on the roster too. This can be answers to prayers for some. Possibly another Stetson Bennett-type story in the making.

Anyway, I would expect a lot of passing the first month. And that is just a win-win for the offense long term.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Right??? Lol. I believe Conner & Mike are doing their Good Cop v Bad Cop routine.

IMO...Cash Jones and 1 other back is all they need for the first half of the season. By then, they should have 4 good ones in rotation. What more could you ask for.

They say God only gives you the load you can handle. I think that's been true for the Kirby Smart Era. Yeah, he's a little shy in the RB department.

But...he's loaded at WR & TE with 3 capable QB's and an "All World" Offensive Line. And, to top all that off...a perennial top 5 Defense and Special Teams. Oh yeah...and only 1 FBS Team on the schedule, in their first 4 games. I think they can overcome being a little shy at RB...I just hope they don't lose anybody else to these %$#%% "non-contact injuries".

• Options
    ParmalexParmalex Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

What about Whitehead, the RB transfer from Tennessee?

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We will be fine. Hopefully opposing defenses will drop more guys back thinking we cannot run on them. If they do that they will get gashed. I don't care if it is Clarke running we will gash them if they don't respect the run. This offensive line is beastmode.