Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

SEC expert elevates Georgia over Alabama, calls out ‘absurd’ criticism of Mike Bobo

SystemSystem Posts: 10,483 admin
edited August 2023 in Article commenting
imageSEC expert elevates Georgia over Alabama, calls out ‘absurd’ criticism of Mike Bobo

ATHENS — Georgia football has moved past Alabama in the polls and in the world of public perception, even as Nick Saban continues to be regarded by some as the nation’s top coach.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited August 2023

Saban is done. Kirby has a stranglehold on the top postion in the country and I don't see anyone knocking this Georgia team off during the regular season. Saban is getting too old for this era of college football. It is too unpredictable for him with NIL and the Portal and it's just not the same as when Saban was king. Kirby is a multitasker like no other and while he doesn't seem to like NIL or the Portal, he has learned to embrace the new concepts and excel in spite of them. If Bama cannot get to the playoffs this year, Saban will hang it up and do broadcasting. He simply will not be able to envision another natty with Kirby standing in the way each year.

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The thing about Bobo and draw plays on 3rd and long is way overblown.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pawl has officially jumped off the Alabama ship.

I think he's right on every point. Bama has as much talent as Georgia, but like Paul said, Kirby has a better top to bottom coaching staff, meaning the players are getting developed better at UGA.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

ALL things come to and end eventually. Records are made. Records are broken. Saban has had ( as much as I hate to have to say it) a Tremendous run as a HC. But the bottom of all bottom lines is he’s aging and fast. He’s passed his pinnacle. Where as Kirby is a much younger man not even close to his prime.

And Yes the grind of going after a Natty year to year would surely wear on a person. Now there was a time it could be said that Nick having more experience gives him the edge, but that’s past tense now. And as has already been pointed out, collectively Kirby has a better coaching staff.

I also believe that the selectivity of his recruiting has Kirby in a better place with players. He has plenty of players hand picked for the UGA culture. Kirby and UGA have passed Saban and Bama, we will All see it unfold this year. Go Dawgs !!

Now and Please Forgive the off topic. It’s a new year of CFB, and a new year of TV programming racketeering !! Just found out Much to my dismay that I won’t even get to see the freaking game !! 😡

I guess winning B2B Natty’s with the Huge potential to 3peat means Nothing, Zilch, Nada, Zero, Zip. Guess it has to be a school like Bama, OSU, or even Notre Dame vs Navy all the way from Dublin, Ireland to rate being on prime time sports tv !!

Mean while there will be channels carrying the International Tiddlywinks Championship !! 🤪

Yes I’m just a wee bit PEED OFF !!! Here I was getting all excited for the weekend prepping up for some good ole Dawgs football . But DishNetwork doesn’t carry it at all !! Even With ESPN+ !! So there goes my weekend down the tubes.

You’d think by now I’d know this was coming, they do it Every year, with the sole purpose of ramping up the costs to the consumers. Just like everything isn’t Already sky high !! I’m Far from even vaguely being wealthy and I’m disabled and have cancer to boot.

All I asked was to get to see the game I pay a monthly King’s Ransom for !! But No !!! I So much wish that Congress would intervene and break up the racketeering !! I’m not a lawyer but it seems to me that that is what it is !! OK let me get a ladder and climb down off this soap box ! Thx for putting up with my vent !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe that may have been one of the biggest reasons...if not, the only reason...that ESPN fired David.Pollack.

David fired the "Shot heard round the world", when he told the College GameDay audience and panelists, that Kirby Smart and the UGA Buldogs have taken over College Football. A couple of sh9cked faces stared back at him, a little stunned, before moving on.

Lol...I don't remember, Nick agreeing with him...but, his mild discomfort was enough for me and kinda funny. I think you're right, though, this is a "one-n-done" for Saban. I don't think he wants to leave the Bama Program in this bad a shape, before he goes. They are nowhere near, where they were, 3 or 4 years ago.

I thought he would retire after last year. He may have planned to retire, until Pollack said what he said. Saban says, "Challenge accepted"...and ESPN said to David, "See ya...wouldn't wanna be'ya.".

I think Saban and ESPN probably already had some discussion about Him joining ESPN after his Coaching days...before, his mystique was crushed by Kirby Smart and David Pollack. Lol...I think ESPN may have been counting on Saban, joining the ESPN team, until that moment.

To me...their bias is so obvious...I don't know why they don't call that show..."BIG10 GameDay". When UGA played Bama in the CFPCG, in '21...they actually aired the game on 3 of their channels. One of which, had Jimbo Fisher, of all people, and his coaching staff doing a play-by-play breakdown.

I watched part of it, just to see if they were going to give an honest analysis. Lol...it was a joke...and Jimmy tried to give Nick every consideration. None of em "respected" UGA or their Coaching Staff. It seemed a little condescending to "UGA & Kirby" and patronizing to "Saban & Bama".

ESPN engages in the same "Fake News concept", their Corporate sister network, CNN, engages in....create a narrative, and stick to it. Keep pushing the lie, until takes traction. The problem with that concept, is it requires at least part of the narrative, be "True".

The part where, "Saban is the Best that's ever been"...is the part ESPN was counting on. Now, there's an asterisk and question mark in front of that statement.

Now...that narrative is gone or in-question...unless. Unless Nick beats Kirby one last time, before he goes. This should be one helluva year in CFB. I'm a Dawg, "Drooling in Anticipation". Lol

• Options
    edited August 2023

Better late than never. Before the '22 Season...I couldn't believe Paul actually thought...and stated, that..."This ('22 Bama Team) could be Nick Saban's best team ever".

Talent-wise...it may have been, but, as we all know...it takes a lot more than talent to build and maintain a true dynasty. I don't know what made Paul think, that Pete Golden and Bill Obrien were going to somehow take it to another level, after the 2021 fiasco.

They nearly missed the SECCG in '21 and were lucky to be in the CFP with what I thought was a much better "Team", than the '22 Version of the Tide. I wondered last year, if ESPN was giving marching orders to their hosts, on what they could and couldn't say (narrative), with regard to certain teams.

Still do...especially after the "Pollack Firing" & "GameDay's ridiculous Predictions for the usual suspects".

I don't believe for 1 minute that Herbstreit actually believes Bama will face the Dawgs in the SECCG...defeat them...then go on to win another Natty. That was ESPN talking...Herbstreit knows better...IMO.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2023

Well jvillebil, that was one beautiful metaphor......and Paul Finebaum really pierced the melon when he emphasized coaching staff quality...

The mighty oak that Saban was, dropped genetically superior acorns throughout D-1 football land....but alas the ravages of time have diminished the quality and The Tide, despite great recruits, no longer rises like it once could! It was only a matter of time when one of those "genetically superior" acorns sprouted and given the ultra fertile loam of the Georgia Tradition, Kirby has grown into that mighty oak, now casting a killing shade on the old master!......my point is: it takes Great HC leadership, Great coaches developing Great recruits and a "WIN with a TEAM First Culture to win championships! Saban is riding his reputation, The Tide staff is mediocre and constantly changing and recruits will soon discover Bama is not the place to go to be developed for the next level.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I just want to win, whether it means beating Saban or someone else. I really don't care. Just win, baby. But I do have three quick questions?

1. With the #1 and #9 rated QB's coming in 2024, why can't UGA sign one (1), 5-star wide receiver?
    2. What's the REAL DEAL with these Buford recruits? All kids say they go where it "feels like home," yet hardly any of them want to play for the 2-time defending National Champions just 50 miles from their bedrooms.
    3. Has DawgNation reported anywhere today the unfortunate arrest of Arik Gilbert out in Nebraska?
  • Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For me I just want to enjoy the season. If we win then Kirby goeS down as the greAtest coach since Don Heinrich invented the huddle or maybe when Tom Landry invented the motion offense. I am not sure But whAt I do know is that it will be a stupeNdous feat of coaching. Now in regardS to Alabama Football they have their 19 or whatever championships and that is pretty good no doUbt. Saban has his 7/6 at Bama. Unbeleivable really. When you Consider that he did all that in the last 20 years it is Killing it in a big way.

Now Kirby Smart has a chance to get 6 or 7 by the age of 55 in my opinion. Will he? Maybe not but he has built something that looks pretty incredible. I've talked to my friends all over the country and they admit our team just looks different.

• Options
    edited August 2023

It's an NFL Team, in College Football. It's that simple, IMO. Everybody else is playing Checkers or learning Chess...while Kirby Smart and Nick Saban are Chess Masters.

In fact, the conversation surrounding "Saban vs Smart" kinda reminds me of the discussion surrounding "Bobby Fischer vs Boris Spassky", in the '60's and '70's. Lol

• Options

Kirby's Mint Defense is a tweak on something he did at Alabama and with the right personnel it is a show stopper for other teams. When you play teams with elite offensive lines you end up more in a 4-3 alignment or you bring a big backer up. I think his Mint works great most of the time. Question is when we play the teams with good offensive lines will this work with our current personnel. This is part of the reason we are trying to get Jamaal Jarrett ready to play and we are bringing in that big kid next year as well. This is another reason I think we really need Breland and McCray. Cannot run Mint without big bodies up front.

The one thing that has been missing is both having the personnel to run Mint AND the elite secondary across the board. This year in my opinion will be the closest to that we've ever had. Our DL may not be as great as '21 but it's close enough imo that combined with the elite secondary we should see either a huge uptick in sacks or a huge uptick in interceptions. Maybe both.

Now with the tight ends we have tapped into the 12 man New England scheme. That was a game changer. Hopefully with Delp's added girth we can continue to utlilize these mismatches. This is a revolutionary thing for our offense.

I really like our chances this year. Should be a lot of fun.

• Options

IMO...UGA"s defense will look a lot different than we're used to seeing. They won't be relying as heavily on the front 7 to cover the back end. We're going to see a lot more turnovers...mostly interceptions.

With the size and speed of their secondary, they can afford to run out of the "dime" at will...blitzing from any position on the field. Offenses are going to have a hard time dissecting the defense presnap....especially the SEC's first year QB's. And, there are a lot of those across the board.

The only 2 QB's I think the Dawgs are going to have to worry about, this year, are....Rattler (U of SC) and Haynes King of GA Tech. Both, Ga Tech and South Carolina, have former Kirby assistants as HC's...and they know how to teach UGA's defense to their QBs. Not that I think it will matter. Lol

Roger's of Miss St is pretty good, but, not presnap...plus, his supporting cast and Coaching Staff is highly suspect. I can't think of another one, offhand.

• Options

I agree it will look different. I still expect we will see similarities at times to the last 2 years. So what does that mean exactly?

Pressure up the middle from Brinson or from edge/5 Mykel. Walker from the edge. All of this is what we saw last year. Later in the year we may get Tyrion or Hall to add pressure from up the middle. So this is last years scheme.

This year I expect we do a lot more linebacker blitzes where the DL and edge push and pull the opposing teams offensive linemen apart thus creating the gap. Look for Jalon Walker again along with Pop, Smael (later in the year when ready), Sorey, etc. to shoot the gaps.

Lastly more weakside blitzes from secondary or linebacker combos. Safety blitzes occasionally.

The combination of the 3 will be deadly and I expect until we can get Hall and JJ up to speed to help with Mint that we will see the last 2 mentioned as we try to perfect these schemes.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BigDawg888

Great assessment! I agree.