Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia skill position dropoff bigger issue than QB play or coordinator change.

SystemSystem Posts: 10,533 admin
edited September 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia skill position dropoff bigger issue than QB play or coordinator change.

ATHENS -- There was nowhere to go but down for Georgia football after its previous performance, a 65-7 record-breaking blowout victory in the national championship game.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@MikeGriffith thanks For a reality check. Things will be just fine. No program will go undefeated for multiple years. Some fans expectations are just that. Along with no mistakes. I flash back to a few years ago when SC rolled out of Athens with an upset. Things happen.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

After a single game I am not concerned. We have great receiver depth of talent we just need guys to run the right routes and catch the ball. Timing will come and get better. Milton at 85 percent looked pretty good and Rod Rob looked quicker and good to me. Delp had a nice td catch. This talent thing feels like a nothingburger.

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think/hope Beck can do it, but, in our first game, there seemed to be a lack of energy to the offense while Beck was under center… might be it came from him repeatedly checking his wristband to make sure of the play, rather than looking directly into the eyes of his team mates in the huddle…maybe it was something else…

The energy level immediately ticked up several notches when Vandagriff and Stockton entered the game. I hate it for Brock that two unnecessary penalties stifled his dynamic first drive performance.

The Dawgs should be fine with Beck—especially if he gets more comfortable from the get go in subsequent games. Perhaps Bobo should have him feed the ball to Bowers a couple of times during each of the first two possessions next time in order to settle our nervous QB? 😉

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We'll see how it goes. We don't know much yet.

That said, this is a good article. Hopefully it will be a reality check. Expecting to start this season looking like the TCU game is absurd.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 403 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited September 2023

I think the entire bulldog nation was upset by the run up the middle right before half. Everyone that has watched bobo for years knows he's kind of vanilla in his play calling. Especially concerning since UT Martins defense had loaded the box the entire first half. Having said that, they did roll up 500 plus yards in their first game. I hope there is some learning and growth. I was very happy to see the freshmen defensive tackles - Hall looked pretty good for his first game. Very positive - if they grow up quickly, keep their composure.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wasn't terribly upset, the sky is falling type deal. I just expected more. I suppose because the last time we saw UGA play they were hanging 50 on LSU. 42 on Ohio St and around 60 on TCU. So, 41 points from an offensive standpoint against TEnn-Martin seems,, um a liitle underwhelming. but call me crazy! 17points first half? REally?

As far as Bobo goes, mixed reviews IMHO. I didn't get the run inside the 10 with no time outs. NEither did the announcers. WE thought you could take 3 shots into the endzone passing, instead we traded 3 plays for 2. and tried to trick them with a run something they had been smothering pretty well.

Other than that, BV and GS looked better than expected. But you have to take into consideration the game was salted away by the time they got in there. Beck looked great in the same situations last season but as the starter he Beck didn't live up to the hype. Not that he did terrible, he didn't wow me , just like I stated before, I wanted to see something special. I got OK. That will do for this week.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well stated, Mike! Plus, it was a vanilla game-plan and, many non-starters got reps. It amazes me at how some seem to always have a glass half full mind-set. Or is it a glass almost empty, mindset?

I see so many positives from the first game. All of the QB's looked good. With so many 2nd-3rd string players getting reps, that is how you build dept. Ladd got the rest and recovery he needs, while lesser used receivers got their first game-reps.

My only negative takeaway was the lack of push by the O-line. But that I think will turn out to be a positive. After those boys watch the game-tape they will know that it was from a lack of effort.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Spot on article Mike !! Well done !! And @SmartsTheMan is absolutely right, this game started the process of building depth. By starting the process I mean first Real Game work for several players.

And though I didn’t get to see the game I’ve read that people like Mews did really well. So to me when we think in terms of guys coming back from injuries ( Ladd McConkey) and guys getting back to Full health ( Milton, Edwards) we’re gonna be just fine.

From what I’ve read our Defense was pretty much lights out in the stat that matters most, (points on the board) until late in the game actually UTMs last drive when guys had been subbed in.

OK Bobo made a bad call with the run up the gut call. Maybe the ghost of Bobo past on his worse days. But as long as it’s not routine then it’s not an issue. And Bobo can and has called Good plays in the past to prior to Monken. It’s just that Bad always looks more vivid than Good. Think on that comment a moment and be realistic. Your Always gonna get Much More feedback about Bad than you are Good, I think it’s just human nature.

But Bobo hasn’t just tossed away all he learned with Monken, and also HE advised Monken on some plays that were used. All that’s Still there with Bobo, it’s just that he was thin with skilled players to implement it.

Now more guys have had real game snaps which means film to go by to clean up mistakes and again veteran guys will be coming back. So in summary of my novel here we will be OK but we do need the injury bug to stay away !! Get the “new” guys as many snaps as possible vs Ball St. and UAB and even SC games. Need to be as close to full strength as possible by Auburn. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Several of you have blamed Bobo for the run call late in the first half. Do we really know what Beck checked into. Or should have checked out of?? Beck did fine after his nerves settled. But that was also a lesson for the QB.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Oh, I'm sure the Offensive Line has already gotten an earful from Bobo AND Smart. You can bet your sweet nuggets that they will come out with a purpose this week in run blocking. I wouldn't want to be loafing this week in practice if I were an offensive linemen AND I wouldn't want to drop a ball in practice if I were a wr.

Practice gonna be fun today boyz...🤐

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree !! I bet the entire O will be far more aggressive AND execute better vs Ball St. Just need the injury bug to stay diminished for a little time and our Dawgs will be just fine.

• Options
    GrogersGrogers Posts: 16 ✭✭ Sophomore

Agree. I thought the real issue was our inability to run the ball. I could only listen on the radio so I have no opinion on the cause. Perhaps Milton not being a 100%, perhaps the offensive line, or both. I give Bobo criticism for running the ball at the end of the half which cost us an extra play. But I give credit to him for realizing in the second half that we needed to throw the ball to open up the run, instead of the preferred other way around.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great comments to a well-written article by Mike G. I would like to stoke the ego of one little unmentioned fella who, as a walk-on sub, showed out his heart, grit and speed against UTM...yep....Mekhi Mews. His post-game interview informed us that he is determined to assist his beloved Dawgs any way he is able...and assist he did. It is likely he will step back a bit when Dajun Edwards returns, but I thoroughly enjoyed his 2023 debut. Maybe he could work into an impactful kickoff return artist. He has the speeed and moves.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hey Mike, you are the BEST.....at stirring the worry pot! I feel much better, the first game is out of the way, there was NEVER a time I was concerned that we would lose, in fact I know that we could have hung 65, 73 or 81 points on UTM had that been the goal....that's NOT Kirby Smart, that's not The Dawgs! As many players that could got game snaps, we didn't reveal anything that our future opponents didn't already know....that we are the most talented, deep team in D-1 and #1 for a reason. For those that know football it 90% on point for all we wanted to do. Mistakes and miscues, yes there were, but nothing that was cause for concern. We allowed several player an extra week to get to 100%. We had the opportunity to give game experience to most TEAM members thus building depth......87Dawg hit the nail on the head...Remember, Kirby isn't just coaching this game; he's preparing this team for conference play with situations they can't simulate in practice....no truer words were ever printed!

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As much as a mediocre effort win vs a small team with so many players out influenced you to put Georgia at #2, Mike, you’re letting an equally small team win for bama influence your decision. You should hold that judgement until after Saturday night when everyone knows what bama will be like this season. Polls shouldn’t come out until mid September at least.

• Options
    BigFanBigFan Posts: 148 ✭✭✭ Junior

Having watched the UNC-SC game (I guess I bought some of the SC hype because that performance was not good), you could probably rest/recovery any players needing it vs. Ball St. and still be in good shape for SC. Or are those "famous last words?" Go DAWGS.

• Options
    BigFanBigFan Posts: 148 ✭✭✭ Junior

Also: how many posts do you need to reach Senior status. Feels like I have repeated Junior year twice, plus red-shirting and Covid :-)