Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia skill position dropoff bigger issue than QB play or coordinator change.

2»

Comments

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Then you haven't seen the tape brother. Even when they weren't stacking the box we were missing our blocks and our footwork was garbage. Run Blocking was a C- this last week and their is no way around it. It is not even open for discussion. Watch the film. The biggest offender was Truss and the next biggest and I hate to say it looked like Van Pran. Guys just were not making the blocks like they should.

I'm not worried about this getting fixed but I do think that Micah Morris might be better by mid-season than Truss. Just my observations.

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

There is no problem with this team at all after one game. Instead of questioning the O-line and the Backs, why not question Bobo's insistence upon running between the tackles against an 8-man box? The math just does not work in the offenses favor. What were you expecting from Lovett that he did not deliver on Saturday, 10 catches for 150 and absolutely no drops whatsoever? The receiver room is too deep for either of them to really put up big numbers unless Beck focuses on one of them.

Last thing, do you automatically think a FCS team does not have FBS talent. Often times grades keep them off FBS teams and some leave FBS schools for more playing time at the FCS level. UT-Martin has some D-linemen who could be in the rotation at UGA.

Come on, Man.

• Options

Lovett dropped 2 passes and ran bad routes on another 2 plays that I saw so obviously you didn't watch the game or are just a casual fan who doesn't pay attention to the details. Nothing wrong with that. Your analysis is garbage ie the smelly hot kind. Same comment goes for your analysis on our run offense.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lotta new players on O in game 1. The O will become more cohesive in time. I didn't expect mid season form.The OL needs a kick in the pants. These slack efforts in "take the win for granted" games against overmatched opponents is what has cost the OL the Joe Moore award the last 2 years.

The least objective observers of a team are fans of the team. They look at stats (RaRa, Lovett) and think you just plug and play. This isn't Fantasy Football. Every guy isn't "the best" because he plays for your team. Thomas needs to learn the O. Lovett needs to hang on to the ball or he'll be riding the bench.

Offense needs a lot of work. Playing too many WR's? Hopefully everyone is dialed in and they don't zig when they're supposed to zag and create a problem at a big moment. CKS known to go very vanilla on O. "Save" the looks until you need them. My question is, is it better to save the looks and surprise a team late in the season or show all your looks and make a team try to prepare for all the looks?

As long as UGA doesn't lose too many players to injury a team coached by CKS should be able to compete with any team in the country.

Things could be a lot worse. You could be a Clemson fan.

• Options
    ronjbaronjba Posts: 9 ✭ Freshman

I have to say Monken would have made a difference, as he and Bobo are different. If Saban or Smart were coaching it would have been different, even though both are great coaches. Monken is more skilled at playcalling and thus more highly desired in the NFL world. This doesn't mean Bobo can't get the job done, but it will not be as fun as the last few years and the runs up the middle on 3rd-and-6 will be exhausting. Let's not pretend Bobo is not able to be criticized. There is a reason the fans have a stigma about him, we all see the same thing from years ago. The score may have been similar but play calling would have been different. No one can run up the middle when it's not working like Mike Bobo.

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

ronjba - a fair assessment. Monken was a true innovator. He was creative. Bobo's run up the middle before halftime was nauseating - a reminder of years gone by. They should not be surprised as Kirby seemed to convey. Also, I know they stacked the box, but come on, it's UT Martin - can our O Line not push better than that. Several things to work on. I don't think it had anything to do with skill player production.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How many QB pressures, sacks and tackles for a losss by the D? Were we "disruptive?" We got the one pick 6 , whichwas luck. THe first team kept them out of the endzone, I think we expected that.

Glad we didn't draw Colorado or FSU to start.

• Options

Look, we can't ever replace Monken. 2 years 2 NCs with a 2 star walk on. That ship has sailed...

Now can Bobo do better? I think he will. Will we win a NC under Bobo as OC, I honestly do not know since it is so hard to do. However, Bobo has the keys to the Hummer with Chrome Tires, let's see what he can do with it. If we make it to the playoff then I would say he did alright. A NC would shut me and everyone else up for good. Please prove us wrong CMB.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yeah fans. Most of them live in the moment with their emotions on their sleeve leading the way.

Thanks for the facts, context and perspective they need Mike.

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Article is a good overall assessment of where we are. I expect to see improvement next game; at this point after back to backs I'm up for the entertainment. Lot of other teams struggled on opening week, we have a lot to be thankful for, I hope our fan base stays grounded and doesn't end up like the Alabama fan base, they don't enjoy anything except perfection.

• Options
    SnakeScott13SnakeScott13 Posts: 91 ✭✭✭ Junior

Enjoy the moment . It wasn’t too long ago we were sweating Vanderbilt, Tech and even Georgia Southern . What a night that was . Thankfully those days are in the mirror and this group will gain momentum as the road to the championship continues. This team is way too deep to fail .

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We don't need to be concerned about anything after a game like this.

If I was "concerned" about any unit, it was the DL (but, looking at the comments, I'm feeling kind of alone about that!). Not as much chaos as I thought they'd create against an outsized squad. But the pursuit by the D's second and third levels was outstanding IMO. If the interior DL is stout, I think there will be plenty of chaos coming from in from the edges. This is going to be a great defense.

Yeah, I didn't like the OL's lack of push on rushes. But, even if Bobo's not as wily a play caller as Monken, we actually don't know why he called that rush inside the 10. He may have been basically challenging the OL to move the loaded box. If so, they failed. I hope that motivates them, because I'm expecting big things from them this year. And I do hope Bobo gets enough feedback to start taking more risks in his playcalling -- even against somebody like Ball State.

As for the dropped passes by Lovett and the bad routes by Arian Smith -- those are the kinds of problems that should improve, especially as they work more with the new QB.

But there were a lot of good things, as well. Delp. Roderick. Mews (receiver and returner!). Rara's haul has gotta help his confidence. Cash Jones got four receptions. And the DBs looked great, even if they weren't facing that much of a test in the air.

IMHO, all three QBs looked good also. No way to know how well Beck will do under pressure, but he strikes me as the kind of well-balanced leader who'll keep cool under any circumstances. And it was really nice to see him showing a bit of mobility!

The big picture: It's actually an advantage for the coaches to find kinks in the first game (so long as we get a W). Much more important than winning 73-7 (as Ole Miss did).

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Y’all (writers - Connor has mentioned it several times) keep talking about the random boos from the audience. Look, the only actual boos I heard were from what seemed to many of us out there like missed PI calls. Like, blatant ones, and several of them.

Yes, there were some frustrated calls of “Bobo!!!, but the were mostly (mostly) in jest from what I could tell of the people around me (as they were followed by laughs and smiles).

Can we please put this thing to rest?

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MikeGriffith ...you get it. That was a pretty good summation and analysis. You won't find much meat to chew on in this game...schematically. i'm sure that's by design. This was a coaching game for individual tutelage.

We probably won't see the results or the real Bulldogs till the Carolina Game.

Though, if I was Smart (Lol)...I would want to see my 1st team "Offense & Defense" work as a collective...[successfully]...for at least one quarter, before starting my Conference Schedule.

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I said it somewhere on here earlier, but it needs to be said again, and this seems like the most reasonable place to say it: y'all, we gotta keep Bowers healthy. For the past two years, that dude has been our Superman. His hands, his agility, his blocking, his putting the team before himself, all of it.

Beyond that, we know that, because of his notoriety, teams scheme around him. If 19 goes out, so much changes for these Dawgs.

I'm barely old enough to remember Herschel being THE Dawg, but I AM old enough (hush). I daresay that 19 is the one person who could surpass what 34 did for this team, big picture.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree...that, Bowers is one of the best football players I've ever seen in a UGA uniform...or any uniform for that matter...since Herschel played. But, he'll NEVER "surpass him". He may equal Herschel...but, not surpass him. Herschel had Olympic Speed to go with the rest of the package. I'm not sure, when...or if...we'll ever see another Dawg like that.