Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football winners and losers following Week 2 win over Ball State

SystemSystem Posts: 11,029 admin
edited September 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football winners and losers following Week 2 win over Ball State

Winner: Malaki Starks

Read the full story here

Comments

• VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Arian smith needs blocking practice from Hines ward all this week

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2023

Winner: Dawg's defense

Kinda loser: Dawg's offense.

386 yards of offense isn't great, but it will do. What concerns me more is a 50% 3rd down efficiency rate (6/12). That stinks against any calibre team.

Not sure what to make of this Dawg's team yet. Time will tell, but we appear further behind than I anticipated. Injuries are part of that.

Overall loser: SEC

The SEC is having an extremely un-SEC start to the season. We’re used to seeing its teams not just win but dominate these big early season nonconference games. This year, it’s been the total opposite. Utah 24, Florida. North Carolina 31, South Carolina 17. Florida State 45, LSU 24. Miami 48, Texas A&M 33. Texas 34, Alabama 24.

Bama only manages 63 yards of rushing against Texas. Good grief. Bama is unraveling quickly losing half its last 6 games against P5 opponents.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Looks like the plan by Bobo early on this year is to explore his WR options and to some degree get them some catches and try to divert some of the double teams in the secondary away from BB. Give the opposing coaches more to think about in future games than just "hey we need to cover #19." It certainly can't be that the game plan is to use your All-American less. Could it?

Hopefully getting multiple WR's some early looks will bode well for BB on down the road, and make CB feel like he's got more options than just look for BB. If that's Bobo's plan then I'm good with it, but if not......

• brvhrtbrvhrt Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

“He looks like a real player for Georgia on the defensive line, which took two more hits after it lost Tyrion Ingram-Dawkins to an injury for the foreseeable future.”

TWO hits? Is it bc he has a hyphenated last name?

• BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bobo need to do a better job scheming him open. Something Monken excelled at. Not impressed with Bobo so far. I give him a C- with the talent we have. We should be doing much better at this point. How do you only get 1 catch for 3 yards with the best offensive player in college football. He gets an F for utilizing talented BB.

• truthtellertruthteller Posts: 237 ✭✭✭ Junior

Dawgnation could definitely benefit from investing in an exterior mic for the camera (or phone) they are using, the Starks interview is hard to hear what he is saying.

• jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 440 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

What's wrong with the offensive line? I'm not sure they could push grandma out of the way.

@BigDawg888

Well you said what I was thinking. I was just trying to put some positive spin on it. I was just thinking surely Bobo isn't that incapable of scheming him open. THere has to be something else going on!

Is Bobo shifting away from using the TE's like Monken did? IF so, expect some transfers. I mean even if he just called some of the same plays for BB that Monken drew up, and they worked, then Bobo's still a genuis,right? Pride? Hope not. Maybe just a oneoff. Maybe the Ball St coach just said #19 isn't going to beat us! I don't want to believe Bobo is that stubborn or deficient. He's just instilling confidence in the new guys. Crossing my fingers.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pretty sure Bowers is playing through an injury, which would explain the lack of production. He certainly hasn't looked like himself even when he has gotten the ball. Two games in, he already has a fumble and a dropped pass - each of which, I'm not sure, might be the first of his career here.

• thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited September 2023

With how much Georgia uses screens and RPOs, the quick passing game is an extension of the running game. Georgia needs its players on the outside to pull their weight.

A better idea: how about UGA just ditches that nonsense? Enough with the spread stuff that is ruining football. It only "kinda" works when you have a QB who is as big a threat to run for 1000 yards as throw for 4000, and as Florida found out post-Tebow, Auburn found out post-Newton and now Clemson is finding out after their string of Georgia high school QBs with NFL talent ran out, those don't grow on trees. Instead:

1. Recruit fullbacks. This is especially effective if you let them carry the ball 5 times a game, forcing defenses to pay attention to both backs.
    2. Recruit actual TEs. Not guys who would have been playing WR 15 years ago. Dallas Clark, who played with the Colts with Peyton Manning, was actually considered a bit undersized at 6'3" 255 lbs. Well, UGA has 1 TE over 240 lbs, and he is 245, and the only one that is taller than 6'4" is 6'7" but only 230 lbs! The FSU 2013 title team had a 6'5" 245 lb WR (1st round pick) and now they have a 6'7" 240 lb. WR (7 catches for 100 yards against LSU). And this is an ACC team. UGA is missing Darnell Washington more than people realize. It is fine to play one TE who is an undersized receiving threat but you can't have two on the field at the same time. And you also need a TE with blocking skills - bizarre that I even have to say this because it is akin to saying "you need a car with wheels!" - on the field in the red zone especially when you don't have a fullback. The announcers even pointed that out during the game when one a TE - not Bowers - failed to set the edge resulting in a wasted rushing play.
    3. Recruit big time RBs again. Spread programs put their best athletes at WR or on defense. So the days of big time tailbacks who could make people miss - even in the backfield - and break tackles because they were bigger, stronger and better athletes than the guys trying to tackle them are long gone. Right now the game is filled with average athletes at tailback who are only effective if a hole is right in front of them, on designed outside runs or if they have to make at most one cut. The guys with the ability to dance around, delay stutter step, do spin moves or just bowl people over are playing wide receiver or defense now. Guys who are 6'1" 235 lbs but run a 4.45 40 with great acceleration and change of direction like Najee Harris, the RB on the 2020 Alabama team. Or ... guys like Nick Chubb, Sony Michel, Todd Gurley and Knowshon Moreno, who were dominant players despite not very good Richt era offensive lines (yes this includes the 2017 team as that OL didn't have much in the way of future big time NFL players or depth, but instead Chubb, Michel and true freshman D'Andre Swift got their yards on their own, especially considering a passing offense that was only good for about 170 yards a game).

You want to run the football, then you need the personnel to do it. If you are going to recruit spread personnel with glorified WRs at TE, scatbacks and halfbacks at tailback and choose to carry 14 scholarship WRs but no fullbacks then don't complain about not having a dominant running game.

I always thought Kenny McIntosh got most of his own yardage but he had to go full comando mode to do it. (Mindset) CKS-"he got piessed off"see Missouri game. WE have had over the past 2-4 years just too many 4th and 1 or 3rd and 1's get stuffed for no gain to have a "great O-line". Even putting in the jumbo package at the goalline with Carter and Davis didn't always achieve a good result. THeyhave done well in pass protection but haven't been road graders per say. Idon't see this years O-line being special, not yet anyways. Milton is a liabilty if he has to create his own yardage.

• thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@reddawg1

Difficult to say really. Under Monken, UGA didn't run the ball a whole lot and when he did carries were split up between like 4 guys. Meaning no one RB ever got enough carries to get into a rhythm and dominate. The actual number of running plays wasn't that diverse either unless you want to count misdirections and reverses (which I don't). As far away from "everyone knows they are going to run the ball but they still can't stop it" as you can imagine, largely because - if you see my rant below - no one recruits the personnel that you need to dominate running the football anymore. "Pro style" these days means 3 WRs and a receiving TE. The only difference between it and the spread is whether you line up under center or in the shotgun more often than not. And putting two backs in the I-formation where the FB can see where he needs to run to block and the RB follows him? Gone the way of the dodo. But it is amazing. No one cares about the running game until it is a tight game in the 4th quarter and they need to milk the clock, convert a critical third and short or punch it in on the goal line and can't do it. In every other scenario: pass pass pass or - these days - RPO and then get mad and scream for a targeting flag when the defense does the logical thing and tries to take the QB out on it.

But it really is a simple concept: build a team that is capable of running the ball whenever you want to and that team will be able to run it when you need them to. But if your team can't run it when you want to then don't expect to be able when you need to.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I would just point out @MontanaDawg that the first-team offense was 6 of 9 (66%) on third down, which IS pretty good against any level, and they didn't even play the fourth quarter. Also, didn't one of our fourth-down conversions (a touchdown, no less) get called back on a dubious (and I'm being nice) PI call? So, maybe offense didn't do quite as poorly as it might seem. And I agree with whoever on this thread said that something appears to be physically wrong with Bowers, or it was on Saturday. Watching the game, I was saying to myself that he seems to lack his normal focus and intensity. We'll see how he does against the Gamecocks. Go Dawgs!