Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Report: Former SEC tight end Arik Gilbert arrested in Georgia

SystemSystem Posts: 10,480 admin
edited September 2023 in Article commenting
imageReport: Former SEC tight end Arik Gilbert arrested in Georgia

Nebraska tight end Arik Gilbert was arrested in Lumpkin County, Ga., on Friday on charges of smash and grab burglary and obstruction of officers.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

OK I vehemently defended Arik here on DN. Even to the point of some pretty heated debates with some of my fellow Dawgs fans. And in many cases I Do believe in second chances. But this cuts it with Arik as far as I’m concerned. He made his own bed he’ll have to sleep in it. Sad waste of a great athlete.

• Options
    casale17casale17 Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

You know he is clearly a young person struggling and not just a great athlete, right navydawg?

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can't ride with you on this one @navydawg. Gilbert clearly has some emotional issues. I don't believe he's just a wild criminal out there. I'm no psychologist or doctor of any sort, but based on simply the news reports, my guess is that he probably has some medication that he has not been taking and it's causing this behavior. Notice that during his time at UGA, though he played sparingly, there are no reports of him being arrested. Now he's been arrested on felony charges in TWO states TWICE in less than three weeks. I'm afraid the kid has some problems that won't be solved on a football field -- or a jail cell for that matter. I wish him the best.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The picture at the top of the story says it all. Look at Stet's facial expression. He is saying dang Arik you are crazier than I am.

Arik is one of those people that needs to hit rock bottom before figuring it out. Unfortunate, but not uncommon. Once he figures out there is a better way to go through life he can start piecing his life back together and hopefully the right people will be around and willing to help him. Until then, he may need to learn the hard way with hard time. Burglary is not shoplifting and society cannot wait for him to grow up. He needs to go spend some time with himself.

• Options
    BeachwagonBeachwagon Posts: 146 ✭✭✭ Junior

It is time to stop making excuses for Arik Gilbert. He has challenges in life, sure. Guess what? We all do. The test is how you respond to them. This is a short version of Kirby Smart's philosophy btw. Arik Gilbert has received so much help, his road was paved with hundred dolllar bills as far as the eye can see. Arik is a man and should be held fully accountable for his criminal actions: drugs, theft, general mischief. People laugh about it, but Evil is a force in the world we all live in. At this point, my sympathy for Arik Gilbert is long past.

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

My son is also a young person the same age as Gilbert and he has avoided being a thief and whatever else is going on in Gilbert's head. My younger son is only slightly younger and has also avoided these issues. Excuses only go so far and they seem to keep following this person because we keep making them.

Struggling with issues does not make being a criminal right.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sad case indeed navydawg, I agree with you as we are all products of the decisions we make in life. I pray Arik reaches his bottom and has the strength to start the climb out.....only then will the help offered him be used for good......he has a rich history of being offered three door choices of fame and fortune only to be satisfied with stealing the door knobs.

• Options
    SnakeScott13SnakeScott13 Posts: 91 ✭✭✭ Junior

I’ve seen plenty of athletes the world has missed out on seeing because of issues not pertaining to their athletic ability . I have no doubt that I personally know some that would have been hall of fame material with their athleticism regardless of sport . I’m convinced we missed a best of the best because they couldn’t get it all together . Ask the goats . I’m sure most will tell you as a kid they had a goat that just didn’t make it because of some issue they couldn’t overcome . When I was a kid in the 70’s I was 14 and remember a kid that wanted to smoke weed and party . He hadn’t played baseball in 2 years . Walked by our practice one day and took batting practice and I’m telling you he hit everyone out of the park . Hadn’t picked up a bat in 2 years and at 15 hitting 400 ft bombs barefooted. You can have all the talent in the world but if you don’t have it upstairs you’re wasting a talent God only gifts a few .

• Options
    ChiefChief Posts: 58 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited September 2023

I said it before.. Good Riddance! I and many others drooled over Arik and his potential to be one of UGAs greats. Instead of reaching that goal he continues to slide. The soccer mom that condemned me as part of the problem missed the van, Arik is deeply troubled and needs to man up!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SnakeScott13

Yeh, I knew some guys like that during the day, we're roughly the same age. I knew a kid in our neighborhood who moved in from out of town. A good size kid, not huge but around 6ft 190 for HS back then was a decent size kid. Anyhow, I got to know him, as he liked my sister for a short time and I found that he lied, not a little but alot. One day he's telling me back where he was from in Florida he played baseball and was an All-star this and great hitter and so forth. I was like yeh,yeh,yeh, whatever as he didn't get involved in any of our local HS or recreational teams(turns out his father made him work after school) One day I was over at his house and he proceeds to get an album full of newspaper clippings out from when he did play baseball in Fla and every clipping was about how he did this great thing or that great thing, I was in shock. In 9th grade at our school May Day event he threw a softball 90 yards on the fly. He just had it. A couple of years late he got involved with drugs and tried to outrun the police in one of those Smokie and the Bandit Trans-Ams and wrecked it and was killed. Very sad story.

When I was 15 I was the local neighborhood QB for our backyard games.LOL! I could throw the ball around 50 yards at that time and I didn't know any other neighborhood kid who could throw it farther, that was until I met Ricky. Ricky was tall and lean, but not skinny, just not an ounce of fat at 6' 4" . Ricky was the neighborhood "mean kid". Trouble with the law at a young age etc etc... One day my cousin and I were throwing the football back and forth in the street in front of his house and Ricky walked over and told us he could throw it alot farther than I could. I said, "OK lets see what you got." My cousin and I trotted about 50 yards away and he told us to back up more. We backed up another 10 yards. He said, "No, more!" We backed up another 5 yards and just sort of looked at each other. Ricky proceeeded to throw it over our heads. Easily 70 yards in the air! JUst cold turkey, no warm ups! Oh what might have been for both of those guys.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Brings to mind, Winona Ryder, Darryl Strawberry and Ricky Williams. Took em all, a while to get it together...and still, it was day-to-day. This is a mental illness, IMO. I pray for him.

• Options

It sure is...and, "Hate" is what fuels it...not forgiveness and understanding. I'm not saying coddle him...I'm saying don't hate him. We don't know what the issue is, cause it's "personal & private".

I think this "stealing business" is just a symptom...not, the problem.

• Options
    casale17casale17 Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman
  • Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited September 2023

I thought my comments were clear. I want you to stop making excuses.

• Options

Somebody needs to let the White House know that. Lol

Go Dawgs. Get 'er done!

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Arik's football life is over. It appears that he is a serial criminal who will go to prison in two different states if convicted. So sad. Too bad ...