Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Why blaming Mike Bobo for Georgia offense is an easy but oversimplified take

SystemSystem Posts: 10,458 admin
edited September 2023 in Article commenting
imageWhy blaming Mike Bobo for Georgia offense is an easy but oversimplified take

Some Georgia fans have fallen into the quickest and easiest trap in college football: Blaming the offensive coordinator.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’ve seen the same play work for good gains. It’s up to the QB to get out of a bad play and up to the players to execute whatever play is called.

• Options
    78Dawg78Dawg Posts: 166 ✭✭✭ Junior

Bobo is far from Monken.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Excellent article, Mike.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    Tom_BomadilTom_Bomadil Posts: 68 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited September 2023

I just don't get the dogged determination to defend Mike Bobo. How many passes were thrown downfield in the first half? The longest pass went for 11 yards. "Oh, there was adjusting during the half." WHAT? There should have been no need for adjusting. I firmly believe Ga. has the talent, but if the right plays are not called, that talent is wasted. Honestly, I watched this during the Richt years. Unimaginative play calling. Game on the line, run it up the middle three times and punt. I have nothing against Bobo personally. I don't know him. But I see his play calling, and it restricts the effectiveness of the team.

I predict that Bobo will be eventually cut loose regardless of all the assurances from Smart about what a good coordinator he is. In the end, winning is what talks the loudest.

• Options
    Louis8478Louis8478 Posts: 168 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited September 2023

I see some pieces coming together on offense as long as D. Edwards is in the back field. Maybe throw some more passes down field and to our play makers like Bowers, Mews, Bell, and Rara. Get Ladd M back with a more confident Beck and I see a better more potent offense. Try Bell more at running back because it is really lacking production. Lovett is finding his groove and I think Bobo and KS just has to open up the play calling. Let loose and don't worry about Beck making a mistake. I feel the offense is coming along, just be more imaginative. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2023

I believe Bobo is part of the overall offensive planning and part of that is recognizing what they have to work with and @MikeGriffith article very nicely defines what those limitations are up to now. The other element that seems to be a big part of it is Beck’s hesitancy to open it up a little and fire away at times. He seems concerned about making mistakes and is trying too hard to be perfect. Hoping he settles in some and things should click a bit more. The limited RB group is a concern and something that very much limits what Bobo can plan for. I just don’t see Bobo as the problem when so many other elements are part of it but I also bet some of the people I was watching with that the “fire Bobo” and “we miss Monken” comments would be fired up by the end of the the first quarter.

• Options
    ugachrisugachris Posts: 24 ✭✭ Sophomore

There were multiple plays in the first half where the primary target was deep down the field but well-covered so Beck checked down to a shallow receiver for a short gain.

If you're saying, "Why didn't Bobo throw it deep?!?" you don't know how QB's operate.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"The other element that seems to be a big part of it is Beck’s hesitancy to open it up a little and fire away at times. He seems concerned about making mistakes and is trying too hard to be perfect."......Henddawg, I like the way you think.....and/or see things, cause I'm seeing and thinking the same thing! I believe Bobo is doing a masterful job regulating Beck and I'm seeing a steady progress with every game.....it's all about "confidence", little by little Carson is growing in confidence.....when I see "Kendall up the middle" against a stacked front and Carson pulls it and runs away from the pile, we'll all know the egg has cracked and the long shots are soon to follow!

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There also were a lot plays where he didn't check his first and second options, but instead went straight to the screen.

Sometimes, that was because poor protection made him unload it right away. Other times, it seemed that had decided to go for the five or seven yard gain before Van Pram even hiked him the ball.

I'm not unhappy with Beck at all. But yesterday he did seem hesitant to take a chance on a long ball. It seems reasonable to assume that as he gets more comfortable in his role, he'll gain confidence about chunk plays and longer.