Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia stock report: Bulldogs rising despite not dominating South Carolina as expected

SystemSystem Posts: 10,511 admin
edited September 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia stock report: Bulldogs rising despite not dominating South Carolina as expected

ATHENS — Kirby Smart wants to see his team dominating football games as much as any coach in the nation.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MikeGriffith Good read Mike !! And I must confess I was among the Impatient Fans group Sat.

In fact in the first half I was an Angry & Distraught Fan. I admit letting Emotions cloud my logic.

This IS a New team with allot of Important “New” in place. The good news is that with every game played, every snap taken that new Should wear off more and more.

Hopefully we will see our Dawgs become more seasoned and thus more efficient as we go along. Just get them W’s !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nicely done, Mike.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited September 2023

Showing "heart" in the second half is not a headline to be proud of.

Domination from the first snap is what we expect and has been delivered that last 2 years.

Tykee Smith getting 5 tackles in the secondary is not a good sign for our D-line.

Not sure we can get there with Bobo's establish the run, first, approach.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stock even on Woodring? LOL!

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2023

Good overview @MikeGriffith - definitely a bit of feeling out phase for now. Would be good to get a healthier offense with the skill positions and then we will be able to tell more. I know there is a desire to avoid any stock down, but the kicking game is a concern. Those weren’t pressure kicks on Saturday but there will be some in the future and a few possibly at opposing stadiums with a very loud fan base - eg Tennessee. The offensive line remains a concern as well - maybe a stock even after the 2nd half. Was it just me or did the line seem to get better after Mims’ injury? Not sure if it is a gelling issue or what, but they seemed to perform better with Truss at right tackle and Fairchild in at left guard. Hoping to get it cleaned up quick. Go DAWGS

• Options
    PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good article. I'd include Lovett in the stock up group. He is proving to be very dependable. I think it's a matter of time till he breaks a big play on one of those quick throws. He also takes pressure off of the other guys. Lots of weapons available to the O staff.

• Options
    Ugagolf80Ugagolf80 Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ Junior

In the long term, this was probably the scenario this team needed to face. Several members of the D said they were sleepwalking through the 1st half. Why that is, who knows? The team realized now what it means to not play to "the standard" of Dawgs football. They adjusted and blew their doors off in the 2nd half. Folks need to realize THIS IS NOT THE SAME TEAM FROM THE LAST 2 YEARS. They've lost DOZENS of NFL-caliber talent—lots of young players on D and many injuries on the O side, with a new QB. They need to grow and evolve. Don't be so judgemental. Give them a chance.

• Options
    Billy21Billy21 Posts: 196 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think the reload mentality that we would hear in the past is fading away at a rapid pace which is all due to NIL and transfer portal. I can't imagine trying to build quality depth at certain positions with the transfer portal. I think we are seeing a new phase of college football and with that said, good teams will benefit from the expanded playoff when it comes to allow more time to pass to develop chemistry and reps.

Plus, it doesn't help with you have 5 members from the same side of the ball leave for the NFL draft. Its a good problem to have, but its hard to juggle 5-6 balls in the air consistently. Thats why they pay em the big bucks. I'm going to trust Kirby, easier said than done with these previous performances, but there is no other person i'd rather have than a HC.

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 218 ✭✭✭ Junior

There's no way the kicker's stock is even. No possible way. C'mon.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep. Agree. Which I find myself doing allot of times with your comments !! 😃 I know it’s probably asking allot, but one can be Hopeful !! And that is No More Injuries to Starters !! Though I realize it’s a long, long season !!

But just imagine if we can get Ladd back and not only back but fully healthy !! Daijun did an Excellent job Sat.

To echo you, Yes Cash is playing Very well. Especially when we consider he’s a Walkon !!

And IF that’s sort of a big if, we could get Kendall back fully healthy and him Stay that way. Bless his heart he seems to get injured Allot. I think he’s a DGD and he’s giving his all but he just seems to Stay injured. Gonna hurt his already not very good NFL stock unfortunately for him.

I’m Not a football coach or expert by a Long shot. But Along With the passing game IF we could have Daijun, Milton, Robinson All fully healthy. And Mews, Cash, and Bell All fully healthy, again coupled with the passing to WRs and Bowers occasional Delp. Then you’d have Three RBs to pound the Defensive front, Two in Mews and Cash to both catch the ball and run out of the backfield. And Bell could be called Mr. Versatile as he can catch the ball out of the backfield, run the ball out of the backfield, And bash the Defensive Front running up between the tackles, so he can do all three !!

For the time being I’m gonna hold on to my rock and not throw it at Bobo And our O line coach. But if and when we get Ladd back And Most of the guys I just mentioned are healthy. There should be No Excuse for a sluggish Offense. I mean just Bowers alone is enough to give Defenses nightmares !!

There’s just To Much firepower on this O for it to remain stagnant. I get that Beck is still learning and growing. But if and when we get Ladd back And Most of these guys are still healthy, how many targets does Beck need to accomplish the mission ? NOT knocking on Beck, at least at This juncture. But with Ladd back I think it’s a fair question. Lastly I sure Hope we can have Ladd back and fully healthy by Auburn !! Go Dawgs !! P.S. Oh meant to say I hope Andrew Paul is coming along nicely. We could sure use him, that way IF Kirby wanted to send Bell back to being WR only he could. But as is I like Bell at versatile RB !!

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mike doesn’t do ‘stock down’—too many people get upset with that. For same reason you can no longer down vote posts on FB, etc.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes. It's sort of like Starbucks calling small cups "tall" and medium cups "grande." All you have to do is accept that @MikeGriffith grades on a curve and it generally makes sense. "Soaring" = up. "Up" - even. And "Even" = down.

In that context, however, Lassiter and Jones should have been in the top group IMO.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I pointed out yesterday that we scored 26 points last year against Missouri and 16 against Kentucky. That straightfoward observation got two down votes, but I can't fathom why.

It's just a fact that a lot of people were questioning Monken's offense at that point -- although most of the criticism was directed toward Stetson.

It's true that those two games were on the road. But, this year against SC, we had a new QB and a very dinged up RB group against a defense that played very well. One good sign was that we gave up zero turnovers (vs giving up two in each of those two games last year).

I'm not saying that things will automatically gel. The jury's out. But it's way too early for people to be railing on Bobo after three games in which we've averaged 39 yards per game.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good one, Mike. I am one of those jittery fans...lol. I crease a smile with Cash Jones and Dillon Bell. They are progressing beautifully. Daijun E. helped put the spark back in the RB position. He is really talented. Brock Bowers can block as well as catch and run. UGA is to be applauded for that second half resurrection. Could not be more proud of our boys. Lots of new faces to get reps.

UAB, honestly, is really not that good. UGA can let it all hang out and get some team cohesion early on. To me, this is a real game practice session....cause Auburn follows.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Similar weather conditions this past week to the KY game last year and a similar game plan by Teflon Monken and Bobo.

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m not sure I’d say similar… that Kentucky game was in Lexington with high/gusty winds at a time of year when temps in central Kentucky become rather brisk (I used to live in Lexington). However, it was a bit wet Saturday—more so during the third quarter…so I’m not sure weather was a huge factor in the Dawgs only putting up 3 in the first half. 😉

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

THe KY game was cold and extremely windy from what I remember. Hard to throw the ball down field when the winds are howling. It was never going to be an offense day.

THe Missouri game was the proverbial trap game, we caught them really fired up and we did some things well but 2 fumbles and a cheap Pass interference call on our Db put them in the driver's seat. And they seized the momentum and played well in spurts. Give them credit. They gave us all we wanted.