Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia QB Carson Beck passes Auburn road test, overcomes double-digit deficit

2»

Comments

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If your a Dawgs fan here, then that means your not a rival. Unless your a troll pretending to be a Dawgs fan. So for Us as Dawgs fans among our own, it’s OK to say and understand that we have a Ton of injuries to some of our best players. And we have a Ton of inexperienced youth playing, Some because of those injuries, Some because guys moved on to the NFL, and regrettably but real, Some hit the TP.

Now our rivals would say, Just Like we would about them that’s just excuse making. Yeah to them it is.

But again among our own all of those things are real issues. By his own words this is The Most injured players Kirby has Ever had at one time in a season since he’s been HC here. That Has to be acknowledged.

It also has to be acknowledged that no matter how u g l y the W’s the Dawgs are at this moment 5-0. It also must be acknowledged if one is to Be Fair that Both of the Two Ntl. Titis teams had their fair share of u g l y wins. Especially in the first five to six games of the year. We Know how they Ended, but it seems Many people have forgotten how they Started.

THIS Dawgs team has a Ton of work to do. There’s simply no doubts about that. But up until the score board shows time is over and they have lost the game, don’t they deserve the Same considerations as the last two Ntl. Champions ?? UNTIL they actually Lose a game isn’t it writing them off Way to early to say Not a chance they’ll win the Natty ??

Now if you come on the game day thread you’ll see ME grumble and complain louder than Anyone !! But realistically these Dawgs are In It as long as they keep posting W’s !! Oh and IF the Committee drops us from number one it’s no Real biggie as long as we stay in that top four !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 188 ✭✭✭ Junior

Most of you guys really don’t understand football.

Thank God y’all aren’t on the coaching staff.

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A big difference, that has been noted, is the quality of the run game. That is a combination of the O line and the RB room. Both have issues but for different reasons - O line just hasn’t gelled and can’t seem to dominate anyone and without most of the RB room healthy, it has been so down they are using a WR in the RB room (and he has been a welcome addition). If the RB room can get a little better, like if Milton can consistently play, then they can overcome some of the O line inadequacies.

Not sure what to do with the D. Just don’t have the studs we have had in the past but plenty of talent to keep the DAWGs in the games. Adapt and advance. Go DAWGS

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@TransplantedDawg

Agree that the INT wasn't Beck's fault. Disagree about the DB getting there early. He timed his break perfectly and he and the ball got to the WR at the same time. Also don't forget the important principle: the DB has just as much of a right to the ball as the WR does. The DB is only not allowed to make contact with the WR if he is merely attempting to obstruct the WR from catching the ball. The refs will give a lot more leeway to a DB making a legitimate attempt to catch the ball, as they should.

Here is the problem: the Auburn DB made a proactive aggressive play on the ball. By contrast, Rosemy-Jacksaint did not. He passively waited for the ball to come to him. He also didn't do much to prevent the interception. He tried to **** the ball away later and also to make the referees believe that it was a mutual catch but it was too late. Sorry, but there is no way that not just Brock Bowers - who was probably the best athlete on the field - but even Ladd McConkey - who doesn't have anywhere near the ability of Bowers - just lets a guy come up from behind him and take the ball like that.

So Delp and Rosemy-Jacksaint both had turnovers charged to them. They are going to have to do better in order to justify bigger roles down the line. With Delp however I say that UGA is stuck: they need him on the field to run the ball. But with Rosemy-Jacksaint, there is plenty of competition for the balls that go his way (Rara Thomas, Dominick Lovett plus Dillon Bell, because as stated earlier Milton and the other RBs getting healthy allows Bell to focus at WR). He can't afford to come up small like that many more times.

• Options

I Readily admit confess I’m FAR from being an expert !! Heck I’m Far from being a knowledgeable fan. But I clearly Remember BOTH of the Two Dawgs Ntl. Title winning teams having their fair share of Undeniable struggles in some games.

And I clearly Remember Some fans saying Both times we wouldn’t make it to the Ntl. Title. In football especially it really is true It ain’t how you start it’s how you finish. Kentucky will be a formidable opponent or one would think they would be after today. But Their running game is Primarily based on a more traditional type platform, that being One very powerful guy getting Allot of and Most of the carries.

I looked at their passing stats, they don’t throw the ball much at all. Their bread & butter came from their rush attack. Now I Know the Dawgs haven’t done to well vs the run game. BUT this year it’s been running QBs that have been a thorn in the Dawgs side. With Auburn it was even worse because you had Two running QBs who could also throw the ball decent.

Now not saying that the Kentucky QB can’t run or can’t throw the ball, but they didn’t use him much like that today. They made their living off of Davis their RB, he got well over 200 yds. !! So I would Hope that we have two edges, 1) Playing them in Athens our Home Crowd does help 2) Primarily trying to stop that One guy, although he Is a load. We’ll see how it goes.

• Options

And I Will say this there are allot of HCs that would have got shook up and frustrated in Both the vs SC game and vs Auburn game and probably showed that emotion to their players causing a pretty much sure fire loss. But not Kirby Smart !! With him it Truly ain’t over till the fat lady sings, and Even then she better have a extremely loud voice !!

The players ( unlike some of the fans) fully trust Kirby. That goes a Long way toward facing adversity and critical situations in a hostile environment !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    ypcregypcreg Posts: 253 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think offensively we are actually on par with last year. We are not as good on first and second downs, but we are better on third downs. We converted many third and long situations. I would attribute our start to our struggling running games, especially OL plays and defense not being able to get off field early.

Defensively, we really need to find a faster ILB than JDJ. If we don't, we can forget about playoffs.

• Options
    shamymaxshamymax Posts: 20 ✭✭ Sophomore

I tell you who knows football, the bookies. Making the Dogs only a 14.5 favorite and a over/under of 44 after the beat down Auburn took in College Station says it all. They have no faith in Beck or Bobo.

• Options
    WoodstockDawgWoodstockDawg Posts: 250 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Obsevations

improvemnt

1. Receivers/#4. Bad blocking, routes and hands
    2. DB’s struggle getting off blocks, bad pursuit angles, chasing.

Strong (today)

1. Bowers
    2. Edwards fight.
    3. Ladd
    4. Becks composure
    5. Woodring

Tough environment today. Beck showed great growth again and had a very good game. Defense has to get their angles right, get off blocks and wat off the floor. Lack of intensity on that side of the ball(overall)

• Options
    shamymaxshamymax Posts: 20 ✭✭ Sophomore

I give Kirby the credit for all this seasons wins despite Bobo. Last year Monken gave Bennett the option to read option and run the ball, quite effectively. Has anyone seen one read option when Beck actually ran. After getting blized by read options all day maybe Bobo might want to put that into his game plan or this:

Monken left a playbook, run his plays.

• Options
    street0123street0123 Posts: 67 ✭✭✭ Junior

A few years of having NFL players across the DL will spoil a fan. I think these players are good, but the coaches and teammates don't seem to have that confidence and are crashing down inside to help the DL stop the run. Teams have figured this fake the inside handoff or bounce that inside run to the outside where UGA edge players have lost containment by crashing inside. Stop this or Kentucky, Ole Miss and Tennessee will all run for 300 yards. Bobo really needs a healthy running game for his offense to work early in games, I like the toss sweep, that makes every old UGA fan comfortable.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@shamymax

You guys keep forgetting that Monken was the OC and SB IV the QB in 2020 when UGA got humiliated by Alabama and Florida and only beat Kentucky despite the offense, not because of it. Monken and SB IV ran a good offense in 2021 and a very good offense in 2022 - people shouldn't overrate that offense as it wasn't Alabama 2020, LSU 2019 or Clemson 2018 as all those teams had multiple future NFL starters at WR/RB/TE - because those teams had the players to do so. This UGA offense, by contrast, has Brock Bowers, Daijuan Edwards and a bunch of guys. Mostly it is because Ladd McConkey, Kendall Milton and a bunch of other guys are injured. But the other guys? If you noticed they weren't consistently getting separation yesterday and were all effectively covered by one guy, which allowed Auburn to get away with giving Bowers extra attention all day long. Beck had to make a ton of throws yesterday with velocity and accuracy in tight spots because of it. Monken's gameplan with SB IV was to use roll outs and a spread it around philosophy to avoid throws like that as much as possible. But with UGA's current personnel that philosophy wouldn't work. The roll out thing would get blown up. The edge blocking isn't as good as it was in 2021 and 2022, so SB IV would have rolled out right into a blitzer or pass rusher. And the spread-it-around thing wouldn't work either because Washington, Blaylock, McIntosh, Milton, McConkey, Jackson etc. are gone or injured.

Because the personnel is different, the gameplan this year has to be waiting in the pocket until you can get the ball to someone who is "open" (more or less) or can make a play on it. Beck can do that. He just needs to get better at it, and he needs at least a couple more guys to get healthier and step up.

• Options
    CWdawg1979CWdawg1979 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@shamymax

UGA is a better team when MRJS is in the game. He is a willing and capable blocker, he is clutch on 3rd downs and cares more about wins than stats. Sure, maybe he could have made a better play on the interception, however, give credit where due, the Auburn DB is leading the SEC in picks and he made a great play.

As far as Bobo and RPO's, Carson is not the same runner as Stetson. I am sure Bobo has BPO's in the game plan for Brock V or Gunner. Carson is a pure drop back QB and where he needs to grow is in his progression reads as pointed out by Kirby in post game comments. He said that in the 2nd half Carson finally looked to the backside in Auburn's coverage and he thought Bobo was about to kill Carson until he did. Bobo can only call the plays and the players have to execute.

As far as the OC being an idiot, I doubt anyone Kirby hires is an idiot. Sure Monken looked good the last 2 seasons, but he had a stronger OL and healthier running back and receiver room.

One might think UGA was 0-5 and not 5-0. Will UGA win every game? Who knows, but if they don't, it won't be on Bobo or Carson.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think the pass BEck threw out to the right that got batted down was a blessing in disguise because our receiver had two defenders all over him and one of them would have jumped the route and cake walked in for a pick 6. It's good to be lucky.