Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Auburn players: ‘We should have won the game,’ out-physicalled Georgia in 27-20 loss

SystemSystem Posts: 10,463 admin
edited October 2023 in Article commenting
imageAuburn players: ‘We should have won the game,’ out-physicalled Georgia in 27-20 loss

AUBURN, Ala. — Payton Thorne turned the corner and was off to the races, speeding 61 yards past the Georgia defense in the first quarter and serving notice Auburn came to play.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, honestly, if it wasn't for Brock Bowers you guys might well have won it!

Hopefully, this game was our Missouri game from last season. Let's learn from it and get ready for a formidable Wildcat team.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    10DAWG10DAWG Posts: 254 ✭✭✭ Junior

No doubt they were the more physical team and UGA will see a more physical team next week. I hope the players and coaches both are better prepared or it could get ****.

• Options
    SequoiaDawgSequoiaDawg Posts: 18 ✭✭ Sophomore
  • Options
    SnakeScott13SnakeScott13 Posts: 91 ✭✭✭ Junior

Guess I saw a different game . Turnovers would have lost the game . Not the low rent firehose school .

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 382 ✭✭✭ Junior

Every game this year has felt like our Missouri game from last year!

• Options
    edited October 2023

@SnakeScott13....turnovers are part of the game, not an excuse for winning or losing. You can't dismiss them as if they didn't happen. You also can't play "what if". We also gave up 219 yards of rushing to an Auburn team who could only manage 200 yards of TOTAL offense against Texas A&M.

The Georgia defense will surely be discussed after it gave up more than 200 yards rushing for the first time since the 2018 season.

We could have easily lost that game despite ourselves.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

OK Auburn is one of my personal most despised rivals. But I must say Freeze Did have a very solid plan. His players Worked very, very, hard on both sides of the ball. Their fan base showed up big time and were very loud and raucous until near the end. They gave our Dawgs all they wanted.

Plus Some of our Dawgs gifted them with sloppy plays and there were turn over gifts. Initially and for a good part of the game they came to play and it looked like we didn’t.

BUT Mister NFL Brock Bowers showed out !! Beck did throw one INT but he and Kirby Smart never lost their composure. Many other Dawgs contributed in Positive ways.

Was extremely scary, frustrating, disappointing, but our Dawgs very late collected themselves, got it together and got the W. And I will certainly take it !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yay. A moral victory. Still a loss but hey, as long as you feel good about losing.

• Options
    GrogersGrogers Posts: 16 ✭✭ Sophomore

We better figure out what is wrong with our defensive front 7 and we better do it quick. Kentucky is bringing a dude that ran for 280 against Florida. After watching that game and then watching ours, this may be where the fairy tale ride comes to a crashing halt.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If UGA knew beforehand Auburn was going to be that physical and determined to win.....why is UGA griping about that now? UGA in game after game always seems to slow-walk the first quarter? Got news Dawgs...you slow-walk against KY and you will rue the day. They are playing some of their best ball. UGA is not as good as fellow teams '21 or '22. I get it. Especially the defense, but offense as well. Thank the Lord for Brock Bowers or UGA would have bitterly tasted its first defeat. We better seek God Brock does not get hurt! The Dawgs got hunted again until the last quarter. Kirby is going to have to change his mantra...to hope we are not hunted again. Maybe our expectations are too high this year. I love my Dawgs...but this is getting serious. Auburn's QBs ran all over UGA and they knew in advance but could do little to stop them. This is an Auburn team that could not hold off a mediocre Texas A&M squad!

That is my riff. Come on Georgia, at least look like would-be champions. There is still time.

• Options

Yep. Sure hope that was the version of Mizzou game last year. Kentucky is rolling in on fire !! They will be 5-0 when they come to Athens. Should be a ranked team. Dawgs have GOT to stop the run Much better !!

But what I think Might be good news is they use a more traditional offensive concept. They primarily use One very powerful, adept, strong, etc. RB in Davis for their Offense. To Them he is their Bowers. Stop him and you’ve not completely but pretty much stopped their offense.

Our Dawgs faced not one but Two running QBs both of which could also throw pretty good. And they kept changing them in and out. Freeze had a good plan in place to use his offense. It proved very difficult for our Dawgs to defend and in their hostile house.

Kentucky also has what appears to be a pretty staunch Defense. BUT them playing us in Athens will make it harder on them. Getting Ladd and Javon back is Very helpful. And last but certainly not the least and Then There’s Bowers !!

He is a one man wrecking crew on rival defenses !! I call him Mister NFL !! I think it will be easier for our Dawgs to stop Davis than it will for the Cats to stop Bowers. That’s the main narrative of this game, so our Dawgs will win what will in all probability be Another hotly contested game. Go Dawgs !!

• Options

@navydawg...Agree! I think this week's practice is going to be rough for the players. As much as I love Edwards and Bell at RB, they simply do not have the wear & tear power that a Milton does. We really need that guy back.

What are the Dawgs capable of? Have we seen the best they can be? We got Bullard back (who had the most tackles by far on defense - 9 solos and 1 assist) which helped out and McConkey on offense. Both those guys proved their value.

I'm worried about our line play on both sides of the ball against KY. We've got to step it up or have KY step it down or it could be a long evening. Yes, if we can stop or slow down their run game and turn them into a one-dimensional team then we should win it. If not? FL knew what KY was going to do and couldn't stop it, and they have (or had) one of the best run defenses in the SEC.

Better never rests...we've got to get better.

• Options
    edited October 2023

This season IS different for UGA. Extremely Different. Here’s Why: 1) We’re Hoping, asking, expecting, demanding, pick your own word that Kirby and these Dawgs accomplish something that hasn’t been done since 1936 !! Let that sink in a moment please.

2) This Dawgs team has had the Most injuries of any and all since Kirby became HC, that’s not just Me saying that, it’s a fact. And Many of those are primary starters !! Let that also sink in a moment please.

3) We have a Ton of very talented and athletic but Inexperienced guys playing because veteran guys either went on to the NFL or hit the TP. Keeping in mind our objective, our goal let that sink in to please.

4) We have a brand new QB in the sense that this is his First time as starter this year. Yes he’s had allot of snaps prior to this year but mainly in garbage time and/or against grossly inferior competition. To Me it’s easy and rather lazy to blame him for All of or even Most of our Dawgs problems. Actually in his role alone, he’s done pretty darn good all in all. Let that sink in a moment to.

5) OK here we go. We have a new for this go around OC. Man I can almost feel the rocks hitting me. Monken wasn’t perfect by a Far stretch either though. I Very Clearly remember Some fans complaining about His play calling from time to time in Both Ntl. Championship seasons. As with Beck and at THIS juncture I think it’s easy and rather Lazy to blame Mike Bobo for All or most of our Dawgs problems When you keep in mind the other elements I posted in mind.

6) Our Defensive Front is not close to the last two seasons. I think we all pretty much knew that coming in, and we Hoped our LBs would help offset the difference. BUT with every game played, every snap taken there Is potential for that Defensive front to get better so there’s Hope !!

7) Our LBs and Secondary have been good to great in spurts. Kirby’s words not mine.

SO where does all these things leave us as Dawgs fans ?? It leaves us watching a team that is 5-0. A team that is Growing with every game played, every snap taken.

Every opponent is different, so the necessary adjustments have to made. Mistakes have to be corrected. When we take an Honest look at the things I listed I think it’s Easy and Lazy to place blame on any One or Two people. It’s supposed to be a Team effort.

Will these Dawgs go on to do what hasn’t been done since 1936 ?? I honestly don’t know. But I think it’s premature to write them off To Quick. All I can say is I trust Kirby Smart to push this team in the right way to do All he and they can to meet that goal.

As much as we love watching the Dawgs as fans, I bet there’s none of us that want it More than Kirby and his team. The realistic and best thing we can ask for and Hope for is for he and them to keep posting the W’s. Don’t Sweat The Score. Just Win. Do that and we’ll be right there in the end.

I’d dearly Love to see a 3Peat. But whether they accomplish it or not I’m gonna Love Em. Because I’ve loved these Dawgs most all of my 66 years of life and I ain’t gonna stop now !! Go Dawgs !!

P.S. I left this out. I have No Clue as to Why, but our what was supposed to be vaunted O line has Also only played good in spurts. Perhaps They like the D line will get better. Sort of a surprise with them, as I expected initial problems with the Defensive front, but I wrongly assumed our O line would be dominant and Stay dominant from day one. Kind of a head scratcher on that one. But all I can say is I hope they get better and more consistent.

• Options

With NO sarcasm and NO disrespect to Anyone. I’ve seen numerous comments about how Auburn fared against TAMU compared to their game with our Dawgs.

Well just like we Expect ( pretty much demand) from Kirby and his coaching staff, can’t Auburn be coached up from one game to the next ?? And they played TAMU at College Station, so Just Like when our rivals play us in Athens doesn’t it make a difference when our Dawgs played them at Jordan-Hare ?? These are legitimate and realistic questions. There are a ton more I could make.

You can only get a sampling on how teams play each other. I’m Expecting that Kentucky is gonna be a very tough game. So they won’t be sneaking up on me. But just because they destroyed UF at Home, doesn’t necessarily mean their gonna march into Sanford stadium and destroy our Dawgs !! Each and every game has its own unique perspective. I Do believe Kentucky will be a very tough game. But I Don’t assume that they will destroy our Dawgs like they did the mud lizards.

UF is not playing very well at all this year. In fact their HC job might be on the line. BUT that could also make the mud lizards dangerous to !! Desperation brings on some crazy things !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options

Yep. That’s the Number One thing that all HCs preach is ball security. And in most cases turn overs will Kill your effort to win. Actually considering those turn overs our Dawgs did pretty well to be resilient, focused against adversity, adapt, and courtesy of one man in particular ( Mister NFL Bowers) come roaring back to win !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We won because we have more talent. THey outplayed us in terms of physicality and effort, desire, ethusiam whatever you want to call it, but in the end our talent won out. Hats off to their coaching staff. Hats on to ours. We come out evey week and can't put points on the board in the 1st quarter. Week after week. Yawn.