Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

3 burning issues for Georgia football, answering the tough questions

SystemSystem Posts: 10,501 admin
edited October 2023 in Article commenting
image3 burning issues for Georgia football, answering the tough questions

AUBURN, Ala. — Georgia got served up a dose of reality, with all of the concerns Kirby Smart voiced coming to fruition.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 382 ✭✭✭ Junior

It’s actually a little more fun watching the dawgs than the past 2 years. I mean that fear and excitement is back for probably losing a game and keeps me locked in and watching the game. The past 2 years I’d just watch more interesting games than just blowouts or make other plans, I hope we keep winning, but it’s been exciting and frustrating at the same time! Go dawgs!

• Options
    rtparkerivrtparkeriv Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior

The next dominant D lineman in the succession is wearing a Southern Cal uniform. They aren’t blowing up the offensive lines like in the past and don’t seem to have the speed to prevent the runners from getting to the edge. They’ll figure it out, though.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 664 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

On the DL: Bear Alexander's departure had an effect. He was poised to play a major role.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree. His leaving Did hurt us. We Need Big Baby and others to grow up Quick. For allot of reasons !!

• Options
    78Dawg78Dawg Posts: 167 ✭✭✭ Junior

Beck HAS TO improve his long ball accuracy. It has cost us at least 4 wide open TDs so far this year. He makes those and these close game are no so close.

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The offense is already carrying the team. Our defense is not even shutting down inferior offenses. Most of our wins are going to be with the defense giving up more points than we're accustomed to. As long as we win, I don't care.

• Options

Yep. He does need to dial that in better. But I think he’s getting there. Something I saw with Beck that I had an appreciation for vs Auburn was his eye control. He looked one way but Went completely the other way to Bowers !! The way he did it was pretty great.

He was looking to his left and I noticed the defenders flowed to the left but he threw to his right to Bowers for a nice gain. This actually happened several times. Now I’m Not saying he Hasn’t stared down receivers before. He might have. But I haven’t caught him doing it.

He gets the ball out pretty fast and that helps. And though he’s sure no Stetson Bennett, he’s not a statue back there either. He’s got Plenty of arm strength to make the deep throws, in fact he over throws some times. And when he tries to dial it back he over compensates and under throws a bit. BUT I think he’s gonna get better and better at those deep throws as time goes on.

Against stiffer competition like SC and Auburn they haven’t given him as many play calls to make the deeper throws. But their gonna come and I think he will meet the challenge when they do. So far all in all Beck is doing a pretty darn good job in my humble opinion. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stop the run game more efficiently. No more costly fumbles and turnovers. Coach up the LBs..they need work. More speed on the outside..I think fastest guy is Bullard. He ran down a receiver and shoved him out of bounds..who was out running all other UGA LBs.? OL needs to get off the ball more quickly and aggressively. Getting to Beck too much...though he did leave the pocket better. What an arm he has! Getting better with tight balls as well. More air and length too. I like Beck. UGA always seems to come back from "adversity." That does not mean UGA is hunting either. UGA wears down opponents over time...such as Bowers wide open for the winning TD. Auburn looked tired and half-heartedly tried to top Brock. Watch the footage. Brock is overwhelming opponents. Tackle him low or he is gone.

You can bet Coach Smart will be hunting when KY hits the field. I can hear him rant all the way down to FL here. UGA defense will get a workout. The Dawgs will prevail. You will see a different team come Saturday. IMO.

• Options

Dawgs Need Roderick Robinson back to. I went to (TOS) The Official Site and was looking at the stats, and he’s only a tiny bit behind Bell ( NOT knocking on Bell now he’s done Great !!) in only three games vs Bell having five games.

Kind of shocked me to be honest. I knew Robinson had been doing pretty well before getting injured but I didn’t realize That well !! If your curious go to the Stats and look at the Individual accumulated stats. Robinson was quietly on track to rack up a good year before he got injured. If we can get him And Milton back maybe Bell can stay at RB but be used More to throw to.

And I’m hoping to see Andrew Paul start to come on stronger. Though Daijun is doing Really, Really well, we need more power in our RB room.

Hard to think that we were RBU. But Branson going down hurt us pretty bad. Then Kendall getting reinjured. Then Roderick getting hurt so early in the season. You know under Normal conditions they probably wouldn’t have pulled Bell from the WRs room, though that proved to be a very good move Due to all these injuries.

I was SO looking forward to Branson playing this year he showed so much potential. Just like last year Andrew Paul. But forgive the repeat Maybe Andrew P. can bring on some help to the RB room.

Maybe we’re on the cusp of seeing some of these injured Dawgs come back and be able to make contributions. Just get this W on Kentucky. Then on to Vandy. Then a Bye Week.

Hopefully by the time we go to face the Mud Lizards we’ll be 7-0 and have a more healthy, more energized team, more experienced, ready to run the rest of the gauntlet. Go Dawgs !!

• Options

If they punish Delp at all Please don’t punish him to hard for that drop !! Kid’s been working his butt off trying to replace an absolute Beast that Darnel Washington was in blocking.

I Know and Surely appreciate that Bowers is our bread & butter player. But I hope they will devise a way to make it Look like their going to Bowers but throw to Delp along and along. Keep the rival defense on their toes.

If they rare to ever throw it to Delp then ALL he’ll be good for is blocking. Need to keep in mind that Bowers will probably be off to the NFL next year. Delp will still be here, unless he gets disgusted and hits the TP which would be tragic for our Dawgs and him to I believe.

NO I’m not saying over do it, I Know what Bowers can do, but throw it to Delp along and along for Allot of reasons.OK he fumbled the ball, he’s human, he made a mistake, but I bet he Learned from it to. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 415 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Bear would have been the next UGA great in line...but he left to go to a place where he can coast. USC doesn't exactly put a premium on defense. Lincoln Riley and Alex Grinch won't develop Bear into a first rounder unless something drastic changes. And it won't because Grinch must have something over Riley to be so terrible for so long and still keep his job. Kirby will find someone else. Good luck on the 5th round Bear. Your MO is lazy and flaky.

• Options

Agree. I think Bear really put his own foot in the trap. He’d have fared By Far better at UGA in terms of NFL draft stock. I sure don’t get his decision. By all appearances it looks like he chose the easy route like you said. Oh well he’s gone. I’m hoping Big Baby can learn quicker and ramp up his game. We’ll see……

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@navydawg

Yeah, figuring out ways to get Delp involved that opens things up more for Bowers - or because we really don't want Bowers to be half the passing offense and 1/3 of the overall offense like Saturday - will be Bobo proving his worth.

I am not concerned about the DL. We knew that coming in. Clemson won a national title without a dominant DL in 2016. LSU did the same in 2019 as did Alabama in 2020.

I am concerned about the WRs. The guys aren't getting separation and aren't making plays on the ball. UGA has to evaluate Lovett, Thomas, Rosemy-Jacksaint and Bell to see which one has the most potential and just go with him as the third option after Bowers and McConkey. Right now trying to spread it around is just giving too many opportunities to guys who aren't making plays with them. Not just failing to get open and make the catch, but failing to get big yards after the catch the way Bowers did. If the WRs aren't getting separation and aren't getting yards after the catch, then it means you are requiring the QB to make all the plays ... to throw 6 or 7 perfect balls on every single TD drive that isn't set up by a turnover or big special teams play.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hey guys, I don't know why you are running with the "UGA gave up 200 rushing yards" thing. It is misleading.

First, 61 of the 220 rushing yards came on one play.

Second, 110 of the 220 rushing yards came on 4 plays.

Third, only 95 of the rushing yards were by tailbacks. (102 of UGA's rushing yards were.)

Add it all up and the idea that Auburn had a consistently effective rushing attack against UGA just isn't true. Instead take away the 4 first down runs and Auburn had under 3 yards per carry. So the idea that Auburn was dominating UGA up front, sustaining long drives on the ground, controlling the time of possession (Auburn only had the ball 30:09) is wrong.

Finally, how about giving the defense credit to holding Auburn to 88 yards, 0 TDs and 1 INT passing? That's right.

Take away the 2 turnovers and Auburn scores 2 field goals. 1 of them set up by a 61 yard run.

The Kentucky game isn't going to be easy. UGA playing at home instead of in Lexington may be the only reason they win. But the reason won't be UGA suddenly having a bad or even average rushing defense.

• Options

I pretty much agree with you. Except on a couple of notes. With the exception of the INT it looks to me that Rosemy-JackSaint has done pretty well.

On another thread you said he gave up to easily to a defender on the INT. I missed allot of the first half Live TV and haven’t had a chance to get back and see my recording yet. I’ll trust your analysis on that. But that’s only one play.

From what I’ve seen he’s made pretty good catches in traffic. So To Me he’s a guy you want in there. At this particular moment unfortunately we need Bell at RB to much to make him solely a WR again. Hopefully that will change soon. I have a feeling in my very ample gut he Could be a go to guy deep. So essentially I agree with you there.

Lovett initially had a bad case of droppsies. Hit right in the hands an dropped. But he seems to have shaken that off and is doing pretty well at catching short to intermediate passes. But I’ve not seen enough deep balls thrown to him to get a decent idea of what he could do in that capacity.

Same for RaRa. I wonder how bad RaRa’s injury is ?? I’ve not heard anymore on it at this point.

I don’t know what to make of Arian Smith. Some fans blame his deep drops on Beck. Some fans blame it on Smith. Some fans say he’s just a high speed sprinter posing as a WR. Some fans say he’s a legit deep threat WR. I just don’t know how I feel about him This year. I Sure don’t have anything personal against him. And I deeply appreciate his contributions.

I’ve not seen enough of CJ Smith to get a good idea. And even more so on deep balls. Meeks is a stout guy that as best I can tell would be good at short to intermediate passes and you would Hope to see good yards after catch due to his size. I might be missing some guys. So I think you and I are on the same page after all !!

1)Bowers,2)NcConkey,3) Rosemyjacksaint 4) Bell as soon as possible when the RB room is healthier 5) ??? Don’t know I have a feeling, sort of, it’s Lovett, but if RaRa is not seriously injured he will be breathing down Lovett’s back for those throws as the season goes on.

That’s MY thoughts and opinions, but the coaching staff might go with Arian Smith at 4) possibly even permanently and put Bell at 5). To them they might figure Arian is a known commodity. I’ll close by saying Kirby might have to dip his net in the TP for WRs in general including the deep threat variety.

• Options

Hey nice job of putting a different but good perspective on that !! Auburn having not one but Two QBs that could run good and threaten with the pass had the Dawgs perplexed. Even though they knew that coming in and practiced for it, at least should have.

They kept rotating the two in and out and it seemed to confuse the Dawgs for some reason.

Now facing Kentucky will be different but a challenge. Davis their RB is a Load !! He’s a certified **** Hog !! I realize he’s not Kentucky’s Only weapon on Offense, but he’s their Primary weapon. And they don’t seem to try to do so much about confusing you, they just run Davis right at you !!

Even though our Dawgs will Know he’s coming he’s gonna be a load to contain. Here’s my Hope though. Playing them in a Rare ( Don’t know WHY that is ??) night game will give UGA an opportunity to showcase their multimillion $$$ lights system they installed a couple of years back but have used very little. Dawgs fans will be absolutely going wild !!! Place should have an electric atmosphere so I think that helps.

Then as Kentucky will be using a more traditional Offense, really it boils down to our Dawgs stopping or trying to stop that Beast RB of theirs. So I would think confusion for the Dawgs wouldn’t be an issue.

If for some reason toward the end of the game Time begins to be an issue. To get a quick score. Dawgs should be in a better position passing the ball to Bowers than they will be running the ball with Davis.

This game is gonna be a tough one, but I think the Dawgs will have the edge and get the W. The “experts” say by 14+ points. I’m not sure if I can be that optimistic. I’d Love that to happen but I’m not so sure that’s realistic. I’d Gladly take 14 points win only, keep the Plus. Your take ?? P.S. Laying that info. out the way you did Does make me feel Some better about our Defensive front. For some reason they’ve had troubles with running QBs this year. I don’t know why.