Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football stock report: Road win at Auburn proves revealing

SystemSystem Posts: 10,694 admin
edited October 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football stock report: Road win at Auburn proves revealing

AUBURN, Ala. — Georgia football fought to maintain the No. 1 ranking and extended its school-record win streak to 22 games.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 411 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Georgia is going to play a huge running team and they almost didn't stop a average running team in Auburn. I know Kirby loves his base defense, but he better put more guys in the box.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A QB or shall I say 2 QB's who are not good passers and/or don't have good receivers almost beat us. THey were basically a one trick pony, the QB run, and they almost pulled it off. Let that sink in. No Heisman material at QB or WR or RB and they almost pulled it off. No super recruiting classes like we have had every year, and they almost took us down. THat's either superior coaching on their end or a lack of coaching our talented guys up and having them ready. I know we gave up the turnovers but the defense couldn't stop them.

• Options
    budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Agree Vetdawg. But the problem with that is unfortunately, that JDJ is supposed to be the leader, but he is playing some of the worse defense out there. Who wants to take criticism from the guy who is having trouble tackling?

• Options
    Pfsman1Pfsman1 Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

Mike, I think you are being kind to the D-line giving them an even stock. Auburn’s O-line was very strong in the run game and pushed the Dawgs around. It was very surprising to see that.

• Options
    BeachwagonBeachwagon Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

The D line went down instead of staying even. There does not seem to be effective senior leadership there as there has been the past few years.

Bobo’s stock also fell with his predictable over conservative first half play calling as in his previous gig at UGA.

Overall, great second half team effort in grabbing victory from the jaws of defeat in a hostile environment.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Actually, I was appalled when the Auburn QBs and backs ran rough shod through UGA's defensive line! I could not believe my tenderized UGA eyes. Was it a mirage? No! My idolized defense was in a demolition derby. Things got better though...yeah...4th qtr! I would have accorded them a stock down...just my opinion. Auburn accrued two hundred yards rushing! UGA...no more bulls up front as in previous lines, plus LB play was sub par. They kept beating us on the corners. However, Javon Bullard made a great come-back in my book. Mike? You ignored him?

KY has a fairly good defense. Just sayin'. Let's make some hay Dawgs! Your toughest foe yet is 6 days away.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 708 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The DBs have been outstanding, especially Bullock, Starks and T. Smith. So have the ILBs (Mondon, Sorey, JDJ & Allen).

Although Chambliss has kicked it up to another level, the OLBs haven't contained the edge in the same way that they did in previous years. That's created challenges for a not-so-dynamic DL.

If some of the edge guys start to dominate (e.g. Mykel Williams and the physically gifted Marvin Jones), the DL could focus on the middle. But I don't think we can bank on that against Kentucky, which means we'll have to load the box a bit -- and hope those stellar coverage guys can 1-on-1 the Leary's targets.

It also seems that communication/coordination isn't up to previous years' standards. Everyone was expecting JDJ to be that D-"QB" guy, a la Nakobe. Not sure if that's happening. Hard to tell as a spectator.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2023

CKS looked pretty qissed in a post game interview I saw. I think he mentioned tuesday practice this week as "bloody tuesday". Hopefully UGA doesn't suffer any practice injuries to add to the list this week. Cannot afford to lose any DL this week. Need all to rotate to keep fresh. KY will try to wear out UGA w/the run. No word on when TDI comes back. Could use him this week. Hopefully, #2, #22, #84 and #58 suffered no setbacks and remain available this week. Didn't see APaul vs AU. Hopefully he isn't set back from being rushed back.

Held my breath every time Woodring lined up to kick. He is getting better. Observation about Woodring. He kicks every kick, whether it is 20 yard or 50 yards, as hard as he can. Like he is trying to kick a 65 yarder. Like to see him develop some touch and control. Also noticed his kicks kind of knuckleball. They don't hook at all but tend to drift. But not in any consistent way.

"No game wreckers" (CKS) on the DL is showing up in every game. REALLY need JDJ to start finding his '22 form and Mondon to continue (and escalate) his playing at the D standard. 22,23,24 are all pretty solid. The CB's? Not so much. They will be tested this week. Need to play more man.

Will be interesting to see if CKS stays in the base D vs a running team like KY. KY has an underperforming QB but 3 dangerous WR's. Hopefully the KY QB doesn't break out this week.

UGA barely a Top 5 team right now. Need MANY youngsters to grow up fast. Starting this week. Seeing the impact of the TP in CFB. AU rebuilt their OL (overnight) with upperclassmen transfers (men). Experienced men (21-22) have the advantage over young men (18-19).

The good news is that it is still early. UGA doesn't have to be better than UGA '21-'22. UGA just has to be better than everybody's '23 team. A LOT of growth and development is needed.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 708 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like your positives, @BigDawg888, especially about Carson Beck's icy veins. First time on the road? At Jordan Hare? No problem. Doesn't even warrant an exclamation point...!

The interception was a good pass; Jacksaint just got outmuscled (and Carson's only other interception was a tipped ball). Then, he executed on the right reads when it counted (helps to have Brock Bowers as your go to guy!). Once he gets his timing right on over-the-top throws to guys like McConkey and RaRa -- look out!

Another addition who's showing he's the real deal: Mekhi Mews. Even though he had a 41-yard kickoff return, this wasn't his best game. He even had a fumble (though he recovered it). But his decision-making -- maturity and intelligence -- continues to amaze me. No boneheaded I compared stats, and he's undoubtedbly the No. 2 overall return guy (kickoffs and punts) in the country so far (after Zacharia Branch at USC). Not only is he an outstanding threat on every punt and kickoff -- he's relieved an ailing Ladd McConkey from risking his body even more.

We may not be as dominant on defense as in previous years. But Mighty Mouse Mekhi Mews gives us a new weapon on special teams, which can make a difference.

• Options

THe problem I see is not that we won, that's great. A win is a win. Well yes, and no . We dodged two bullets the past two weeks. If not for the superman we lose both of those games. How long can we keep dodging bullets before one hits home? Auburn had no offense and they almost took us down. THey basically had one play, the QB run. HOw does that happen with a defense loaded with 4 stars?

We won the game because we have a passing attack with a guy who made two great catches on balls thrown behind him. Without BB who do we go to in the crunch?

You know KY saw what Auburn did and they are licking their chops after they ran all over Fla. Fla manhandled Tennessee, and yet they couldn't get much going against KY until they fell way behind and just passed it a bunch. Fla tried to run on KY but couldn't. THey ran 29 times for 69 yards. A little over 2 yards a carry. Entienne is a very good back and he couldn't do squat. I'll be shocked if our anemic O-line can do that good against KY. That leaves us with having to pass to win.

It will be interesting to see if Bobo comes out blazing in the passing game as FLA went 25-30 against KY with a QB who isn't as good as CB. or will he make this a close game by insisting on trying to run. I think if Fla had it to do over again they would have come out guns blazing. They tried their best to be balanced trying to get Entienne going and it didn't work.

We have to get the lead and keep scoring. I just don't see our Defense shutting down their run game. Our best chance is to give them a heavy dose of BB, LM, RJS, DB, and company, then when/if we get them reeling, run some. Two runs up the gut for no gain and 3rd and long will be a long day for CB. THey can sack you. If we aren't careful, this one will get away from us in a hurry. Then if we are in a position where they know we have to throw, they will hound an inexperienced CB.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited October 2023

@reddawg1 I agree that Bowers bailed UGA out on Saturday. But I believe that a healthy Milton and a fully healthy McConkey will make a big difference. I am also hoping that Smart and Bobo reward Dillon Bell by giving him a regular role in the passing offense. More so because I don't think that the incumbent regulars - who are only putting up about 40 yards a game, not getting separation downfield or over the middle or getting yards of the catch - haven't done enough to merit their current roles and want to give someone else a shot. If they can't do that for reasons, then at least remove the slot WR and play Oscar Delp instead to help get the running game going like last year.

• Options

I don't think Milton is a good back, I don't see what others see in him. I just don't. I hope he gets healthy and proves me wrong. He seems wooden to me.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2023

A couple things.

The "Bowers bailed out Georgia/Beck/Bobo" line makes no sense. Was he throwing the ball to himself? Was he off doing something else with his life before suddenly taking pity on Georgia and deciding to go suit up for them in the second half of this game? No. He's a Georgia player who had a big game. His success is the team's success. He didn't "bail out" anyone. And I'm sure he'd be the first to tell y'all that. For weeks people were insisting that he needed to get the ball more. Then he lights up a rival and it's, "oh well Bowers bailed us out." Ugh.

Secondly, it seems like every week people say such-and-such should be "stock down." There hasn't been a Stock Down category in these articles for some time now. I guess to avoid the perception of being unnecessarily harsh or unfair to the players. But whatever the reason for it, just interpret "stock even" as the equivalent of stock down.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You saw a healthy Milton for about 4 games last year and he looked great. Problem is he wasn't healthy often enough.

Edwards is doing great and Bell is a nice surprise.

• Options
    doubledawg1990doubledawg1990 Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

Not sure if it's OLB or DE's (maybe even at times ILBs), but our outside contain has been almost non-existent. I've seen Smael Mondon, JDJ, Chaz Chambliss, CJ Allen (others?) out of position on off-tackle or outside run plays - consistently. I'm not a football expert but something is wrong out on the edge that wasn't an issue in the past two years. Not even after Nolan Smith was hurt and out last year. Does anybody with more football knowledge (most people probably :-) ) know what's going on?