Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Mark Stoops fires NIL-related shots at Georgia: ‘They bought some pretty good players’

SystemSystem Posts: 10,492 admin
edited October 2023 in Article commenting
imageMark Stoops fires NIL-related shots at Georgia: ‘They bought some pretty good players’

ATHENS — Mark Stoops wasn’t done thinking about Georgia’s 51-13 win on Saturday night over his Kentucky.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 664 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He didn’t seem to be criticizing UGA for “buying” players as much as saying Kentucky should emulate us. Of course, he’s bringing up the wrong example because the Dawgs obviously weren’t built through NIL.

The funny thing is that if it truly were all about NIL, UGA would still clobber UK because UGA has a much bigger and richer fan base.

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don’t see this as a slam by Coach Stoops in the least. I think he was speaking from a very frustrated position with regards to not getting enough support with NIL funding. He’s right, it is what it is. Players are paid now days, including our own players, and some fans want to act like we would never do anything like that. C’mon people. Utah just openly gave every scholarship player a new Dodge Ram truck on a lease that rolls over every six months as long as they’re on scholarship. It is the new era of college football. Coach Stoops is a very competitive coach and if I were in his position, trying to compete for championships, I would probably do and say the same thing. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    CharlestonDawgFanCharlestonDawgFan Posts: 89 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited October 2023

Honestly, I think that was more of a call to his fan base for money than anything. He knows they can’t compete with UGA donations, facilities, or players.

• Options
    SteveRSteveR Posts: 12 ✭✭ Sophomore

Maybe Kentucky needs to pony up and buy a new coach if he was that unprepared

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Says the coach whose counterpart helps dish out millions a year to basketball players.🤷‍♂️

• Options
    BeachwagonBeachwagon Posts: 146 ✭✭✭ Junior

I have always respected Mark Stoops and what he has done at UK, which, let's all admit, is a basketball school first. I am sure he is very frustrated with his team after the shellacing they received on Dooley Field Saturday night. That being said, I am disappoint that Stoops "stooped" down low to cast aspersions at CKS and Georgia's success. Smart didn't invent NIL and the transfer portal. He has adapted them and uses these tools effectively. If the program was operating in an unethical manner or illegally, they would have been busted by now since they are in the spotlight 24/7.

It is a lot easier to "buy" five basketball players than 85 football players. UK and UGA evidently have different priorities.

Mark Stoops is better than this. I am sure he wishes he never said it. He owes Kirby Smart and the Dawgnation a heartfelt apology.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

MAybe Mark's been shopping at the wrong store. Hey're having a sale on players down here in Georrgia. Buy one get one! Maybe we should all chip in and help Mark buy a couple? NAh!

• Options
    Lexi33Lexi33 Posts: 64 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yeah, maybe. That doesn't explain why KY has lost 14 straight to the Dogs, including the 10 when Stoops was coaching.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not sure what Ny Carr is doing but he is right about competing with the best TEs in the country. We have those so you had better be a really elite wr to be able to warrant catches. All true.

He's afraid he can't compete so he took the money and the guaranteed playing time. Weak sauce Ny.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wow! Someone needs to give Stoops a good shaking and tell him what a bad look this for him.

Kirby has been nothing but respectful about and to Mark Stoops, and this is what he gets in return. Unreal!

NIL gives and it also takes away, and that also applies to Georgia. Georgia has more funding - support than Kentucky, but even before NIL that was the case and Kirby was already recruiting at an elite level. If anything, NIL has had a negative effect against Georgia. Just look at how Saban was out recruiting every other team by a long shot before Kirby came to Georgia and when Bama was the clear-cut No.1 program.

In 2017 Alabama had more 5-star players than the other three playoff teams had combined. Kirby and Georgia would've been able to enjoy that kind of recruiting - bump after the recent success, if not for NIL. With NIL Georgia, or any other program will not get that benefit any longer.

Georgia doesn't out bid other teams for their players. That's what Texas, T A&M and USC are doing. I just lost a lot of respect for Stoops.