Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Why garbage time may be the most valuable part of Georgia-Vanderbilt

SystemSystem Posts: 10,507 admin
edited October 2023 in Article commenting
imageWhy garbage time may be the most valuable part of Georgia-Vanderbilt

ATHENS — The most valuable part of last year’s Georgia-Vanderbilt game did not occur when the game was competitive. The Bulldogs routed Vanderbilt 55-0.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby Smart knows how to develop and how to build depth. It's much more than just signing top recruiting classes.

• Options
    CWdawg1979CWdawg1979 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Early on I would get frustrated with Kirby when he would bring in the inexperienced players when we had a lead. I wanted shut outs and more points on the board. Of course, Kirby always has a plan. Kirby will do what is best for the team. His long-term approach is to develop players. Most colleges will go for style, while Kirby goes for substance. I get it now and look forward to seeing what the future starters look like.

• Options
    NorthHallDawgNorthHallDawg Posts: 83 ✭✭✭ Junior

Vanderbilt will be without two secondary starters Saturday, as well as their starting TE (possibly slowed by injury) and starting QB. For all intents and purposes, Carson and Crew ought to have another record-breaking week on offense. Hopefully, it'll be another 50-plus-to nothing game, and the younger guys can be in by the middle of the 3rd quarter.

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm all for the general idea here, but I'm just not the sort of person who can let himself sit comfortably on the idea of an assured drubbing. Talking about garbage time like it's a gimme just makes me nervous.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No matter who starts for Vandy, I expect Clark Lea to have The Commodores ready to play....at home against Kentucky they put up 28, against Mizzo 21.....It will be a good road test which The Dawgs will ace.....though I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a shut out, reality tells me that's unlikely....especially during the "Developmental Quarter/Quarters"....much more appropriate than "garbage time"!

• Options
    SnakeScott13SnakeScott13 Posts: 92 ✭✭✭ Junior

Remember the seniors . Number one team changing in a tent ? Give them a beat down that will make them want to cancel Georgia the next time they play them too .

• Options
    edited October 2023

We said the same thing about South Carolina in 18, man...

The minute we don't take a team seriously is the minute they hand us a steaming bowl of humility.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

ALL. OF. THIS. I know fans and media like to do all this projecting and supposition, but you still have to play the game. And even Vanderbilt won't just lay down and quit, at least not in the first quarter. We can talk about how someone played in "garbage time" and how beneficial it is AFTER the game, if that all happens. The information will be just as valuable. No need for this type of story two days ahead of the game. It's hard enough as it is keeping these kids focused on the task at hand with all the social media, mainstream media, parents, friends, girlfriends and God knows who else, pumping them up. Let's just slow our role and play EACH game on its own merits. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just NO slow start !! Get off to a Quick start putting up TDs not FGs on the board. Take the Vandy home crowd out quickly. Extinguish any and all fire that Coach Lea has built up in his players by scoring B2B TDs while giving them B2B three and outs when They have the ball.

Do that and Vandy’s morale will start fading away quickly. Now that’s NOT the end of the game !!! Keep the pedal to the floor !!! But what I described is a morale killing effort when done from the Very Start !!

OF COURSE there can be No let up in the first half !! None. But have the score say 32-3 going into the locker room, then Dawgs can begin Slowly pulling starters out early 3rd Qtr.

Score some more points at That juncture then they can start to pull starters out more rapidly. By the start of the 4th Qtr. there should be little to No starters left in the game for UGA. I’m Not saying all this Will happen, I’m saying IF the Dawgs go in All business from The Start, it Should go down something along these lines.

I Will say Dawgs can Never take Any team for granted. Take Care Of Business !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dawgs NEED to score High and Quick in order to be able to Afford putting in the younger guys Earlier. It Does help to give them real game snaps. But the starters need to take care of business in a Dominate and Rapid way right from the very start.

I could be wrong sure wouldn’t be the first time. But I think Kirby will have the team prepared to take care of business. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Commodores will take the field with the mind set of "world beaters" and "giant slayers"....this one victory will make their season.....Scores on every possession by the Dawgs will quickly melt Vandy's anchor hard convictions and return the Commodores to reality....they can't compete and they will lose. I'd like to see two quarters of "Developmental Time" for our2's, 3's and every Dawg that made the travel squad.

• Options

Welllll lookee there. Alluvasudden, the Comms were a team. Weird. How much “garbage time” did we get?

None? Odd…

This is not gloating. I wish we’d done better.

But…

It highlights exactly what I was talking about earlier…

Nothing is given.

Go Dawgs!!