Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Which version of 2023 Dawgs will show up for the stretch run?

SystemSystem Posts: 10,457 admin
edited October 2023 in Article commenting
imageWhich version of 2023 Dawgs will show up for the stretch run?

A sloppy game marred by injuries wasn’t enough to derail the undefeated Dawgs.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 277 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Per usual, your synopsis of the game is the standard for UGA sports journalism, Bill. I'm assuing it is legal for the QB to touch the ball with the center retaining possession and then acting as a runner. Sedric unveiled another talent.

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 277 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited October 2023

The 2023 Georgia Bulldawgs do not have the “Dogs” on the DL this season to be running zone schemes as much as Coach Schumann seems to be eager to put them into.

Vanderbilt’s speedy players were getting the ball in space much too often, and most people weren’t aware that was a backup QB they had carving up our secondary for many more through the air explosive plays than Beck was able to complete.

The offensive lines we are going to go against in UT, Mizzou, Ole Miss, and the Lizards are larger and overall much better than Vandy’s O-line, so to say I am concerned is putting it lightly.

I foresee shootouts against the remaining teams that threaten us in the SEC East: I thought SC would knock one of those threats out being up 10 with 9 minutes to go, but of course they give up the lead in their home den instead of giving them their second SEC loss. There is not much leeway if our Dawgs take an SEC loss, especially if UT defeats Alabama next weekend; Mizzou, UF, and UT all only have one SEC loss, and yes, I am concerned. I think this team will lose at least one of those 4 remaining SEC games, which overall will be okay if it is against Ole Miss because it may not prevent the Dawgs from playing in Atlanta, but man is it going to be a tight race to the end.

Must get healthy for the Jax game, because the lizards can “save their season” if they put a W on the board against our Dawgs. Our Dawgs are much more talented and have shown what they can do, but will they do it in the first half in JAX so they do not tempt the “momentum” gods that always seem to wreak havoc when our Dawgs come out slow and sleepy?

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not nearly as concerned about the future as I am annoyed about the past. I think the fact that the schedule is about to get a lot more difficult is going to bring out the best in this team. And I think that will go for the coaching as well. I have no idea why they kept insisting in running such a porous defensive scheme yesterday. My only guess is that they wanted to use Vanderbilt to work on it in live action, knowing that they could mess around and still win. I honestly have no idea if that's the real explanation, but whatever the real reason for it was, I don't expect to see such a failure to adapt going forward. We know this staff is better than that.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The KY game showed the potential of the Dawg offense when Carson is on. Once again, the Dawgs missed out on some certain “explosives” as Kirby calls them because of Carson overthrowing open receivers, some for certain TDs. If Carson is going to be elite, that has to stop! Those plays are the difference between the Dawgs having blow out wins against lesser competition and scores that look too close for the #1 team in the nation.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2023

He's gotten better since the first few weeks. I think yesterday there was only the one easy touchdown to MRJ the sailed high. At that point in the game, there were heavy gusts at Georgia's back (recall the Vanderbilt field goal attempt hitting an invisible wall going in the opposite direction the series before). Considering Beck's general improvement, I'm not going to fault him for the one throw where I can't rule out bad luck with the wind.

The bigger issue was the receivers. There were at least three drops. Other than Smith having a bad year, I don't think that's been much of an issue this season. I think our passing game is going to be just fine

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think our passing game is going to be just fine”

Agree 100%!

Especially since Beck is second in the SEC in passing yards per game and second in completion percentage!

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    bobcdawgbobcdawg Posts: 64 ✭✭ Sophomore

Saw a lot of red at the game. I was a bit surprised it wasn't even close to a sellout in that tiny stadium. We could have brought even more fans than we did! The construction got a fair amount of coverage on TV too. But how are they going to fill it when it's done?

Finally, you could say Vandy was eclipsed by the Dawgs yesterday!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, it's not time to panic just yet. Keep in mind that all of the SEC East teams remaining on our schedule -- with the exception of UT and Florida -- all still have to play each other, meaning that no matter what they do against us, they still can't afford to lose another game. Granted, SC could have helped us last night by beating UF, as could have A&M against UT and even Kentucky versus Mizzou. But I doubt Tennessee will beat BOTH Alabama and Mizzou. And I doubt UF will beat BOTH Mizzou and LSU. So really best for us Dawg fans to become Bama fans this week. We can pull for SC against Mizzou, too, but that's probably a lost cause. If we win out, no problem, of course. But we could probably lose one and be OK, as long as it isn't to Mizzou, which I think would have the easiest path to Atlanta IF they beat us. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well Bill, the title of your article states EXACTLY how I'm feeling...Amen.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I didnt think Beck touched the ball which made me wonder if it was a legal advance.